All-Star Cheer Gyms

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

May 20, 2017
question

My daughter has been at the same cheer gym for the past two seasons and she has learned so much she is 6 and is currently learning level 3 tumbling . She did the allstar level 1 team for two seasons , I love the coaches and my daughter has made so many friends I just feel like this gym picks and chooses too much .. it's always the same kids for awards etc... I'm afraid to switch gyms Bc I've heard people in our gym talk negatively about the gym I'm considering... what do I do , I just don't think it's fair that the gym I'm at now constantly picks and chooses there are no across the board rules for everyone

question

My daughter has been at the same cheer gym for the past two seasons and she has learned so much she is 6 and is currently learning level 3 tumbling . She did the allstar level 1 team for two seasons , I love the coaches and my daughter has made so many friends I just feel like this gym picks and chooses too much .. it's always the same kids for awards etc... I'm afraid to switch gyms Bc I've heard people in our gym talk negatively about the gym I'm considering... what do I do , I just don't think it's fair that the gym I'm at now constantly picks and chooses there are no across the board rules for everyone
Don't go theu another season and forking out $$ being unhappy! Who cares what people think, go there try it and make your own opinion and do what's best for you and your daughter.

As a gym owner I would tell you to go speak with the coaches and owner. I can't tell you how many times we've found out, after the fact, that so and so left or was unhappy because of some sort of miss communication. Have them explain the awards and the reasons they are giving them.

If after you've talked with them about all your problems you are still feeling like you may want to leave i have 2 things .

1. The grass isn't always greener on the other side.
2. You are hearing the bad things about the other gym from people that are at your gym. You will rarely get any good things from someone who doesn't like somthing. All we hear about other gyms in our area is how bad they are with this or that. But we are taking with the people that didn't like it there or heard bad things from other people so they didn't go there. Take it with a grain of salt.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I left my gym knowing that I could've been on senior 5 this season, but I was unhappy at my gym. Left to go to a different gym this season. Didn't regret leaving. Yes, I feel bad for leaving but it just wasn't worth being unhappy another season there.

EDIT: Anybody able to talk to with me (an athlete or a coach)?

Last edited:
question

If you stay, do it with the understanding that the picking and choosing will likely continue to happen next season. If this behavior is working for the gym, they have little reason to change.

What type of negative things are you hearing about the other gym option?

If you stay, do it with the understanding that the picking and choosing will likely continue to happen next season. If this behavior is working for the gym, they have little reason to change.

What type of negative things are you hearing about the other gym option?
Just that they aren't as good , they do inethical things , but they have been around for a while even longer then the gym we are currently .

Be aware that no gyms are without flaw. Don't go into it expecting either gym to be perfect. It's up to you and your girl to decide which gym, as a whole, is a better fit for your family. Competing gyms in the same area will often talk smack about each other. The rumors usually start with jilted parents who dramatically left one gym for the other and shared their bitterness with others, or coaches from competing programs who wanted to 'scare' their families so they wouldn't go there. Sometimes there is truth in the rumors, sometimes there isn't, sometimes it won't apply to your situation, and sometimes it just doesn't matter to you.

You're the customer, it's your money, and you can take it wherever you want. Just try not to let others pull you into any dramatic scene if you leave. Don't burn bridges that you may need to cross again later.

Last edited:
Our gym doesn't have across the board rules for everyone either. This makes me wonder, does any gym? I'm not sure of the exact situation at your gym, but I have learned to take a step back and realize the rules are often bent for reasons beyond a parents knowledge. For example, the level 2 tumbler is a an extremely strong base and the level 3 team is in need of a base. To the rest of us it seems unfair to move up the level 2 tumbler until we understand why. Sometimes you just have to bite the bullet and ask coaches what the heck is going on and why are the rules bent for some but not all.

As far as the other gym, can you find some people who currently go there and ask them their thoughts? That way you could at least hear the positive side and see if there is enough there to switch.

Is it a mini 2 or youth 2? She is 6. I wouldn't put her on a youth 2 team either, no matter what her tumbling skills are.

I'm sorry to break it to you and come off as a jerk, but your child is still very young. Let her gain skills and be the star of a team. A 6 year old on a level 2 team is going to struggle with choreography, timing and making friends with older kids. She has plenty of time to be on higher levels!

Is she the one that is disappointed, or are you?

Is it a mini 2 or youth 2? She is 6. I wouldn't put her on a youth 2 team either, no matter what her tumbling skills are.

I'm sorry to break it to you and come off as a jerk, but your child is still very young. Let her gain skills and be the star of a team. A 6 year old on a level 2 team is going to struggle with choreography, timing and making friends with older kids. She has plenty of time to be on higher levels!

Is she the one that is disappointed, or are you?
Honestly I could care less what team she is on lol she is disappointed and she is turning 7 we don't have a m2 in our gym so y2 is the only available level 2 team and there are other kids the same age as her on the team.. I get the choreography is more etc.. I just don't like how some kids like the ones who are never on time always unprepared etc get more acknowledgement or advancement Bc there parents throw a fit . I refuse to throw a fit we decided we will do our school program and then the prep team this season

Your school has a cheer program for seven year olds? That is awesome. I have never heard of a school program that starts that young. How lucky.

My guess is your CP's reaction to learning new skills is what caused her to stay on m1. You said she was scared and upset about learning the new skills . Often the coaches are looking for coachability and maturity when they are thinking of loving someone up to a higher age group. Let her enjoy the younger team and being with kids her own age and appropriate maturity levels.

If she is as talented as you say she is she still has 12 or 13 more years in the sport. I am sure she will move up quickly as she gets older.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Honestly I could care less what team she is on lol she is disappointed and she is turning 7 we don't have a m2 in our gym so y2 is the only available level 2 team and there are other kids the same age as her on the team.. I get the choreography is more etc.. I just don't like how some kids like the ones who are never on time always unprepared etc get more acknowledgement or advancement Bc there parents throw a fit . I refuse to throw a fit we decided we will do our school program and then the prep team this season
So what team did they place her on?

Your school has a cheer program for seven year olds? That is awesome. I have never heard of a school program that starts that young. How lucky.

My guess is your CP's reaction to learning new skills is what caused her to stay on m1. You said she was scared and upset about learning the new skills . Often the coaches are looking for coachability and maturity when they are thinking of loving someone up to a higher age group. Let her enjoy the younger team and being with kids her own age and appropriate maturity levels.

If she is as talented as you say she is she still has 12 or 13 more years in the sport. I am sure she will move up quickly as she gets older.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
She was nervous because it was a tryout and she never did the skill before but instead of teaching her they thru her out of the gym during a tryout .
So what team did they place her on?
We decided to wait this season out and do a prep team , we didn't finish tryouts .

She was nervous because it was a tryout and she never did the skill before but instead of teaching her they thru her out of the gym during a tryout .

We decided to wait this season out and do a prep team , we didn't finish tryouts .

Oh goodness...why would they throw a child out of a tryout? That one would make me leave the gym. I would look for different options. Maybe that gym and your child just don't click?

Back