All-Star Cheer Hair Thread

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I can immediately look at a picture and tell you if it's real hair or synthetic hair... so going out on a limb here, but synthetic is clearly not as good.

I just hope everyone investing $300 in a hairpiece will have their gyms choose the same hairstyle next year.
I made sure of that before I ordered, and spent right at $200, even with an expensive piece of hair.

I can immediately look at a picture and tell you if it's real hair or synthetic hair... so going out on a limb here, but synthetic is clearly not as good.

I just hope everyone investing $300 in a hairpiece will have their gyms choose the same hairstyle next year.
No joke!!! I live in fear that our coach will want bobs with headbands next year or something!:confused:

I feel like even if your gym changed hair styles, you could still use the pony, even if it wasn't teased. Like if the gym wants pin straight non teased hair but your daughter has curly hair, just do the same thing with the hair piece that you did this season, just no teasing. Same for curled hair.

nope not 300 but t can be curled, teased, straightened etc

first @Lisa Seye your daughter is beautiful and the pony looks fantastic!

second @njallday how can you see a difference between human and synthetic? Curious because I just bought the human hair and I was surprised by how "fluffy" the hair was, I think I was expecting it to be shinier and slicker looking. I've noticed fake ponies at comps and they always seemed shiny and slick wondering if those were synthetic? And static-y if that's a thing, do you know what I mean?

second @njallday how can you see a difference between human and synthetic? Curious because I just bought the human hair and I was surprised by how "fluffy" the hair was, I think I was expecting it to be shinier and slicker looking. I've noticed fake ponies at comps and they always seemed shiny and slick wondering if those were synthetic? And static-y if that's a thing, do you know what I mean?
That's it. The synthetic is very shiny, slick looking and clumps, particularly when you try to tease it. It's heavier too.

Eta: some human hair you can buy also has a coating applied to make it shinier. If it isn't labeled "Remy hair" chances are it has this coating. It is fine for what we are doing with it, but makes it harder to color, and Extensions that are being worn daily and washed frequently don't tend to last as long if they aren't Remy.

Thank you very much :)

I usually can tell more at the top of the pony where the most tease happened. The unteased hair doesn't lay flat or smoothly on top of the heavily teased area and it usually looks clumpy and ratty right there. Yes, human hair can be teased into a rat's nest but there is just something distinctly different looking on the synthetic. I'm the worst explainer, sorry, lol but it usually isn't the shine that gets me.

I usually can tell more at the top of the pony where the most tease happened. The unteased hair doesn't lay flat or smoothly on top of the heavily teased area and it usually looks clumpy and ratty right there. Yes, human hair can be teased into a rat's nest but there is just something distinctly different looking on the synthetic. I'm the worst explainer, sorry, lol but it usually isn't the shine that gets me.
The shine of it is also vastly different. In person I can totally tell if it's synthetic because it's reflecting more than my highlight on my cheekbones. LOL

Cd8QFSnUAAAQc-k.jpg:large

I don't use posh pony or anything like that. I just really love teasing hair.

....to someone like me, I'm probably not going to "notice" a new synthetic ponytail on someone with Type A hair.... The first day

By day two you're going to be looking like Barbies hair 3 weeks after Christmas morning, so even if you think it looks good it probably doesn't. But if you're kid is confident, who cares, do you.

Also people, at the end of the season, give your natural weave pony tail a nice boil in a pot and it'll be looking good as new. Don't rely on just washing and conditioning it.

Synthetic people....go ahead and toss yours in the trash

Also. Make sure you've purchased your children a satin bonnet and/or silk scarf and a satin pillow case for competitions. That way you can just tie up the pony and not have to take it out each night.....and if the bonnet or scarf comes off, they're still protected by the pillowcase

<insert picture of me, with a sew in and a twinkle in my eye>

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

....to someone like me, I'm probably not going to "notice" a new synthetic ponytail on someone with Type A hair.... The first day

By day two you're going to be looking like Barbies hair 3 weeks after Christmas morning, so even if you think it looks good it probably doesn't. But if you're kid is confident, who cares, do you.

Also people, at the end of the season, give your natural weave pony tail a nice boil in a pot and it'll be looking good as new. Don't rely on just washing and conditioning it.

Synthetic people....go ahead and toss yours in the trash

Also. Make sure you've purchased your children a satin bonnet and/or silk scarf and a satin pillow case for competitions. That way you can just tie up the pony and not have to take it out each night.....and if the bonnet or scarf comes off, they're still protected by the pillowcase

<insert picture of me, with a sew in and a twinkle in my eye>

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Read the suggestion to boil the pony and had a flash back to the Fatal Attraction movie. I'll stick with washing and conditioning :) [typed as she sits in the hair doctor's chair for sew-in maintenance]

Read the suggestion to boil the pony and had a flash back to the Fatal Attraction movie. I'll stick with washing and conditioning :) [typed as she sits in the hair doctor's chair for sew-in maintenance]
You need to boil that hair to revive it or you're going to end up paying for a new one. Boiling hair freshen it up, something that washing just won't do. If you don't trust yourself, go to a black/African American beauty salon and let them do it.

Last edited:

No seriously. Boil it. I do sew in maintenance every 2 weeks at a salon and wash it and condition when I take it out.....but I always. Always. Boil it. I will never not boil it.

I've only reused whiffs once in the last year....but I save all of them... Stored after washing, conditioning and boiling

I've never met a sew in user that didn't boil

(I've also never seen Fatal Attraction)

As odd as boiling sounds, you ladies know more than I do. How long should I boil it?

Back