High School Cheer Section Too Fast

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Feb 23, 2012
Does anyone have any ideas on how to pace the words? My team this year is speed racers!! Even the choreographer couldn't get them to slow down. He'd say it with them and they still would speed up! Help, please!

Haven't done this but maybe set a timer on how long you want the cheer to be. If they finish before it have them do some type of conditioning or something else they would not want to do.

Have you tried putting a metronome on a loudspeaker so they can do it to the beat? Kind of like a band?
Or clap it out with them. Remind them to inflect, pronounce the words fully literally every syllable, and when to take the words "up. All of those will effectively force them to slow down. Except for comp day when the cheer automatically becomes 2x as fast simply out of excitement lol.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to pace the words? My team this year is speed racers!! Even the choreographer couldn't get them to slow down. He'd say it with them and they still would speed up! Help, please!
Are they syncing the words with their motions?

If my girls get fast, I loudly clap at the pace they need to be at. Then they know how to slow it down to match that pace. They should say the word on the clap. Build in breathe times. Sometimes I have to tell mine that they should say the word breathe in their head as a place holder.

Back