All-Star Cheer Team From Another Gym Using Our Music From Last Season

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Jul 13, 2016
Hi, I wasn't really sure where to post this, so I'm posting it here.
At a competition recently, we were watching another team (They had the same name as us, but were a different gym and from a different city) and when their music came on it was the music that my team used last year. At first, I thought it might just have been a backup plan since their music didn't arrive early enough, but as the music went on they had gone to the effort to replace the words each time it said out gym name to theirs. They did have a different dance song, but the rest of it was too similar just to be a coincidence. It was the same sound effects, same songs and at the exact same time.
I was just curious as to whether this is allowed (I don't have an issue with it- it's just a little confusing) and if anyone might have a plausible explanation about why they might've used our music. I think we must've just used the same music provider and they were too lazy to mix new music, but I'd like to hear whether anyone else has any ideas :)

Both of your gyms might have purchased a premade mix that you can then edit to save money. I know a few of the companies offer premade mixes that you can then swap songs, add sound effects, etc.

bqd8Cihwa14cM.gif

Hi, I wasn't really sure where to post this, so I'm posting it here.
At a competition recently, we were watching another team (They had the same name as us, but were a different gym and from a different city) and when their music came on it was the music that my team used last year. At first, I thought it might just have been a backup plan since their music didn't arrive early enough, but as the music went on they had gone to the effort to replace the words each time it said out gym name to theirs. They did have a different dance song, but the rest of it was too similar just to be a coincidence. It was the same sound effects, same songs and at the exact same time.
I was just curious as to whether this is allowed (I don't have an issue with it- it's just a little confusing) and if anyone might have a plausible explanation about why they might've used our music. I think we must've just used the same music provider and they were too lazy to mix new music, but I'd like to hear whether anyone else has any ideas :)
Now you understand why music copyright laws are a big deal. Its a bummer when someone takes something that is yours and changes it slightly to make it theirs

edit: i see the fb community is finally using the dislike button ha

Last edited:
Back