All-Star Cheer Theory: Cheerleading's Biggest Problem

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Just my opinion, but I believe one of the reasons scores are not released is fear of gym owners loosing customers due to low scoring teams/routines. If you only release the ranking of a teams placement i.e. 1st , 2nd, 3rd , 4th etc...verse 1st place with a score of 95.45 , 2nd place with a score of 94.75 and etc.... 3rd place 94.25, 4th place 92.35 and 5th place with a score of 85.45(BUT WE HIT OUR ROUTINE) parents will start to hold these gyms/coaches more accountable for the poor job of their creativity when it comes to choreography/stunting/dance etc.

Just my opinion, but I believe one of the reasons scores are not released is fear of gym owners loosing customers due to low scoring teams/routines. If you only release the ranking of a teams placement i.e. 1st , 2nd, 3rd , 4th etc...verse 1st place with a score of 95.45 , 2nd place with a score of 94.75 and etc.... 3rd place 94.25, 4th place 92.35 and 5th place with a score of 85.45(BUT WE HIT OUR ROUTINE) parents will start to hold these gyms/coaches more accountable for the poor job of their creativity when it comes to choreography/stunting/dance etc.

However, that is happening anyways without scores being released.

Ok, I'll be the Negative Nancy: Just because it's a conspiracy theory, doesn't mean it's not true. Goof ups, cheating, and preferential treatment happens. There is a lot of money to be made. You don't want Enormous Allstars not to come back to your event because all of their teams lost. Public scores would let everyone know why they lost, or who should have won.

If scores r posted then judges can't
personally pick who gets a bid.....
Ok, I'll be the Negative Nancy: Just because it's a conspiracy theory, doesn't mean it's not true. Goof ups, cheating, and preferential treatment happens. There is a lot of money to be made. You don't want Enormous Allstars not to come back to your event because all of their teams lost. Public scores would let everyone know why they lost, or who should have won.
Don't know what all the "we got screwed" coaches would do. You know the ones who never think they've been judged fairly.
sometimes we r not judged correctly...at a recent comp we were told by the EP "yes you were scored wrong but we can't change it because it will make judges look bad". Thus no paid bid. Some things need to change!

However, that is happening anyways without scores being released.

True.

You don't have to be a coach or scoresheet expert to know that your child's team's routine is not hitting the scoresheet.

If you are going to a variety of local and national competitions, hitting with little to no deductions and the results always look like:

6th of 8 teams
7th of 8 teams
8th of 8 teams
11th of 13 teams
13th of 14 teams.

....you know that the team's routine is not cutting it, even if you're just a parent with little knowledge of how judging works.

No, everyone's not sandbagging, no they're not cheating, no matter what the staff is saying, you tend to know better after a few years.

Just because events aren't releasing scores your owners and coaches do have them. Ask them! You hold them accountable!!! Our owners make them readily available to any parent who wants to see them. You can read them and everything. You can also see the scores of the other teams in the division.

We have competed against people whose coaches have told them if you would have hit you would have won, or we only lost by .XX and then they ask me for our scores and I have no problem telling them.

If you lose, you lose.. do not lie to your parents- just because you aren't telling them it doesn't mean someone else isn't.

I'd much rather my gym say we lost because they have harder stunts, they didn't have deductions, they had better tumbling instead of oh if we hit we would have won when in all actuality us hitting still put a point behind the competition.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:
I could be wrong but I thought ice skating/gymnastics judges are given info showing the skills to be performed during the routine? So wouldn't they just be judging the execution of those skills?
Why aren't we doing that? Or are we?

I could be wrong but I thought ice skating/gymnastics judges are given info showing the skills to be performed during the routine? So wouldn't they just be judging the execution of those skills?
Why aren't we doing that? Or are we?

They are given the info, but if skills are watered down, changed, missed, etc., the DOD will change in all of these sports, so judges are still watching for that. The list of skills just gives them a starting point

Latest posts

Back