College Cheering In The Sec?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Feb 28, 2017
I am a junior in highschool, and as I begin to look at colleges one major thing I'm considering is where I will be able to cheer. I have done all star and school cheerleading for the past six years and have level five skills as well as coed stunting. I want to stay in the south and go to a large school, and I really liked LSU and Tennessee. But, I am 5'5 and 115 lbs so I am worried I will not be able to fly. Does anyone have any ideas on the possibility, or what I will need to succeed at these tryouts? I know this is very specific, sorry!

I can't tell you specifically about LSU or Tennessee, but your range is not out of line with coed flyers at other SEC colleges. It will be as much about game day skills as "level 5" skills though. The biggest thing I can tell you is to prepare for tryouts. Go to a clinic if you can. Contact the coach and introduce yourself. Don't be shy about including details about your skills - they get hundreds of emails. Some cheer programs will allow you to attend a practice and be on the sidelines for a game if you visit during your senior year. Take privates if possible - level 5 coed stunting only gives you the minimum (if that) for what you will need for tryouts with some of these programs.
Most importantly, choose your college for what you want to do for the rest of your life. Cheer should be the lower priority. When making your choice, ask yourself if this is the college you would go to if cheer was not in the equation. You never know what will happen during your 4 years - injuries to you or even your stunt partner can leave you off the mat or field.
Good luck!

You likely won't fly coed in the SEC. Average coed flyer at Alabama and LSU is under 5 ft and in the 90 lb range. It's rare that someone 5'5 would fly for them. You would have a better chance outside the SEC. You could possibly fly all girl, but the 5'5 I would go in expecting that you would base all girl. If you go in as "fly or die" it will vastly limit your chances. I would choose a school first, then worry about cheer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You likely won't fly coed in the SEC. Average coed flyer at Alabama and LSU is under 5 ft and in the 90 lb range. It's rare that someone 5'5 would fly for them. You would have a better chance outside the SEC. You could possibly fly all girl, but the 5'5 I would go in expecting that you would base all girl. If you go in as "fly or die" it will vastly limit your chances. I would choose a school first, then worry about cheer.

Do you personally have any experience with every SEC team?

I know it's the most northern SEC school, but I got a solid education and had a great time at Mizzou (didn't cheer though). They have small coed and all girl teams and compete at NCA. Your size would be in line with several girls I knew who did cheer on small coed. Might be worth checking out if you're open to heading north a bit! Definitely agree with @quitthedrama that you'll need great game day skills to make any SEC team.

Do you personally have any experience with every SEC team?

I have looked extensively at the data. It's often published, just like every other sport. That's my basis. Based on the data I have seen published for SEC schools, For coed, average flyer height is typically 4'11" to 5'0" depending on the year. Average weight tends about 90- 95 lbs. All girl flyers tend to be bigger. Very rarely do you see an all girl flyer above 5'2".

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

All girl flyers tend to be bigger[/QUOTE
Interesting. Why is that do you think? I would have thought the opposite, that co-ed would have larger flyers.

edited to say: sorry about the quote part. cheer25mom only said the first part. I asked the second, why do you think? somehow I put my comment in the quote.

Last edited:
I could easily be wrong, but think it's because in all girl you get 3 bases , for CoEd stunt section of CoEd teams; one guy stunting you.

Last edited:

Oh my they are so tiny. What's the height difference between base and flyer?

Most of the guys we have met from CoEd teams are about 5'10 or taller (average male height), but it does vary.

That's because schools like Kentucky, LSU, Alabama, Tennessee, Ole Miss and Mississippi State compete regularly at the UCA College Nationals every year (UK, BTW is the 22-time UCA Division IA Coed Champion). But have you considered cheering at the likes of Florida or Auburn? The Florida coed squad doesn't compete but the Gators do have an all-girl club team that competes while Auburn has just one coed squad that doesn't compete, either. The downside to Auburn is that freshmen are not eligible to try out. Thoughts?

Back