College Cheering In The Sec?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

And another stark reminder that at 5ft 4 and 120-130 lbs I will never be a flyer again :( When weight is the limiting factor in the sport you love it really breaks your heart. I know it would take a bigger athlete than me to stick to basing or backing but my heart has always been in flying and the injuries I've received in my limited basing career definitely make it not worthwhile for me. *Sigh* haha

And another stark reminder that at 5ft 4 and 120-130 lbs I will never be a flyer again :( When weight is the limiting factor in the sport you love it really breaks your heart. I know it would take a bigger athlete than me to stick to basing or backing but my heart has always been in flying and the injuries I've received in my limited basing career definitely make it not worthwhile for me. *Sigh* haha
I hear this A LOT from former flyer. It's sad, and I don't know what the right answer is. My CP loves being a base and has never wanted to be in the air. The one or two times she was pushed into trying it she was miserable and terrified so I can see where you are coming from. I can also see it from the other side. I have watched my CP struggle to base a flyer that was clearly too big for the bases she was paired with. Everyone was doing everything right and trying their hardest, and it just didn't work. That girl was devastated when she was taken out of the air, but it was the best thing for the team.

It is hard when height/ weight is a determining factor in a sport, but there is just no way around the fact that it plays a huge role in cheer, and not just with stunts. My CP has a harder time learning tumbling than the kids her age who still weigh 60 lbs. She has more weight to work against and has to be that much stronger to execute the skill. She is physically fit, and conditions regularly but because of her body type, she will always have to work harder for the same skills. It's not necessarily "fair" but it the reality of the situation.

There are many different teams and needs for flyers, just because you can't fly at say Kentucky doesn't mean you can't fly on an all girl team or sideline/game day Cheer team. Maybe one day you will end up loving to base. Wonderful thing about College Cheer, many different options and choices to have fun while receiving a great education.

One of my CP's is naturally skinny. I strongly believe gaining muscle weight would significantly improve her tumbling. Unfortunately, this is very challenging for her.

One of my CP's is naturally skinny. I strongly believe gaining muscle weight would significantly improve her tumbling. Unfortunately, this is very challenging for her.
I have seen that end of it too. Everyone has different challenges. The 60 lb kids at CP's gym are tiny balls of muscle. The tall lanky ones seem to struggle with strength. Body type definitely plays a role in most aspects of cheer.

Which my CP was a ball of muscle! LOL

I have seen that end of it too. Everyone has different challenges. The 60 lb kids at CP's gym are tiny balls of muscle. The tall lanky ones seem to struggle with strength. Body type definitely plays a role in most aspects of cheer.

Last edited:
She's still very young. That could change at any time. I've seen the skinniest kids fill out and you never would have imagined it would be to the degree they did.
Very true! I thought she was going to be super short like her Dad's side of the family. Based on recent height growth spurts, I was wrong about that.

My daughter cheers at a SEC school - and we are from California - nothing like game day at these southern schools. She will be junior next year. All I can say if you say "fly or die" - in most cases you will be disappointed. My daughter is primarily a base but when it came to competition time she was put in for the baskets because she could do the required skill. What I am trying to say is be flexible - coaches are looking for a good attitude. By the way my daughter is only 5 ft all muscle and very strong - she flew and based throughout her all star career. She cheered level 5 since was 12 until the close of her all star career. Again like people have said earlier, pick for what you want to study first and then determine if the school matches your other criteria.

Other things to think about is something like - after game day will I like to be in the town where the school is? What aspects does the community offer? This became an important aspect for my daughter. You should go and visit as many schools and meet as many coaches as you can. The summer before my daughter's senior year she went with her dad on what I called the "SEC tour". She visited many SEC schools and also other non- SEC schools in the south she was interested in such as Georgia Tech. Let me tell you after that trip many of her dream schools moved further down her list. She narrowed the list to her top 2 and then went to those clinics in the fall. The other important thing you have to remember though cheer skills are important, how you present yourself is also equally important. You are a representative of the university first and foremost with game day coming in as very close second if not tied. For example, part of the try out for the school my daughter attends is an interview section. She is interviewed by various officials from the school - professors, marketing , and administration. They want to see how you think on your feet and how you might interact with the alumni and the fan base when you are mingling 2 hours before the game.

Sorry for the novel but you have time to think about what you want to do. You should always have a strategy. Good luck.

Last edited:
She is interviewed by various officials from the school - professors, marketing , and administration. They want to see how you think on your feet and how you might interact with the alumni and the fan base when you are mingling 2 hours before the game.

Sorry for the novel but you have time to think about what you want to do. You should always have a strategy. Good luck.

THIS! If you're cheering at SuperFootball/Bball University and can't identify coaching staff and officials, you're setting yourself up. Or not knowing when they won a national championship or went to the final 4. Do you know notable alums? SEC schools have a lot of high profile alumni, can you keep your cool if Shaq shows up to a game at LSU? I still cringe at a former teammate that used to want pictures or lose her mind when she saw certain athletes. Or ones that would act crazy in front of coaches of the NCAA teams.

You never know when your Athletic Director and the coach's families will be staying on the same floor with you during the NCAA Tournament. Or when the Offensive Coordinator will be on the elevator with you at an away game.

THIS! If you're cheering at SuperFootball/Bball University and can't identify coaching staff and officials, you're setting yourself up. Or not knowing when they won a national championship or went to the final 4. Do you know notable alums? SEC schools have a lot of high profile alumni, can you keep your cool if Shaq shows up to a game at LSU? I still cringe at a former teammate that used to want pictures or lose her mind when she saw certain athletes. Or ones that would act crazy in front of coaches of the NCAA teams.

You never know when your Athletic Director and the coach's families will be staying on the same floor with you during the NCAA Tournament. Or when the Offensive Coordinator will be on the elevator with you at an away game.

Also important to know the facts about the university. Why does Alabama say Roll Tide - Ole Miss say Hotty Toddy? All of the "lore" related to the university should be studied before attending anything on campus. They may ask to you learn a specific cheer that would be done at every game etc. Also watch your social media usage. Some other points I forgot to mention.

Also important to know the facts about the university. Why does Alabama say Roll Tide - Ole Miss say Hotty Toddy? All of the "lore" related to the university should be studied before attending anything on campus. They may ask to you learn a specific cheer that would be done at every game etc. Also watch your social media usage. Some other points I forgot to mention.

I thought the fight song and alma mater were silly and I'd never use it in my real life when I went to orientation. I know both songs like I know the words to Happy Birthday lol and get pumped when it's played.

Social media is big and we've talked about it before. I think people think it's censoring them, I always say it's being mindful. I don't curse on twitter hardly ever, and if I do it's a quote. I never post anything that might be inappropriate or taken out of context. Social media is public, and it is someone's first introduction to you. Just like we look for social medias for new roommates or employers, coaches are looking too.

Back