All-Star Cheerleaders Season 3?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

They say there are only 8 spots open, then why are they making old team members try out again if they already have their spot secure.?(Yeah i know the whole no one has their spot safe story), but they sure make it seem like they do.

Deferring...UC Berkeley...for cheer?

in her defense, berkeley will be there one, two, ten years from now and will accept her at any age. elite athletics and one's body is a bit less sympathetic and will only accept you and allow you to do it at a certain age range. many countries around the world have what's known as a gap year and those people do quite fine in life. i've never quite understood the need to follow some cookie cutter timeline. even though im american, ill never understand the hard drive to only work work work.

I dont get it. Everyone says that cheerleading isnt just tumbling and stunting on a mat at a competition once a month. There are numerous threads all across this board each and every year about the life lessons learned, relationships built, foundations of reality experienced, and NUMEROUS other great things that come from the highly competitive sport. However, once it comes to Smoed, it turns to "cheer". She deferred, not declined, Berkley to accomplish a dream that she has that will be with her for the rest of her life. You cannot count on two hands the amount of life experience that she will get out of this team. Why cant we all be happy for her accomplishing her dreams instead of hating because she choses to try out for Smoed?

** & God forbid something drastic happens and she is no longer on the team. She is only 1 semester behind and whose to say that she doesnt already have some college credits or will be taking some classes at a community college?

I dont get it. Everyone says that cheerleading isnt just tumbling and stunting on a mat at a competition once a month. There are numerous threads all across this board each and every year about the life lessons learned, relationships built, foundations of reality experienced, and NUMEROUS other great things that come from the highly competitive sport. However, once it comes to Smoed, it turns to "cheer". She deferred, not declined, Berkley to accomplish a dream that she has that will be with her for the rest of her life. You cannot count on two hands the amount of life experience that she will get out of this team. Why cant we all be happy for her accomplishing her dreams instead of hating because she choses to try out for Smoed?

** & God forbid something drastic happens and she is no longer on the team. She is only 1 semester behind and whose to say that she doesnt already have some college credits or will be taking some classes at a community college?

But you don't even know that she made the team. Maybe they only showed a bad shot of her and it was a fluke, but busting a double isn't going to make it on smoed. Would you feel the same if she were deferring to be on snipers? (Not that you actually care/feel anything, you just like to be negative to everyone)

Berkeley is most people's unattainable dream and she accomplished it. Taking a year off hurts when going into an academically rigorous program. You get out of the swing of things and studying and writing etc don't come as easy. Trust me, I know.

But you don't even know that she made the team. Maybe they only showed a bad shot of her and it was a fluke, but busting a double isn't going to make it on smoed. Would you feel the same if she were deferring to be on snipers? (Not that you actually care/feel anything, you just like to be negative to everyone)

Berkeley is most people's unattainable dream and she accomplished it. Taking a year off hurts when going into an academically rigorous program. You get out of the swing of things and studying and writing etc don't come as easy. Trust me, I know.

I don't think it's necessarily bad for her academic life. When I finished high school I didn't inmediatly went to college. I had a few other dreams I knew I wouldnt be able to accomplish later in life, so I took a few years off and went to do other stuff instead. Those years I could do what I wanted, I learned alot out of it, it made me stronger, I grew alot as a person and I understood better what I wanted in life and came to realise that whatever I thought I'd do with my life when I was 20 years old, was no longer what I wanted to do when I was 30 and especially not for the rest of my life! I don't think those years were wasted, they were very valuable and made things a lot more clear. So when I finally started college I lived my dreams, had no regrets and knew exactly what I wanted to do in life, what was important and what not. I know I work alot harder in university now because of what I learned in those previous years. I have a much better focus and energy. I no longer get distracted by "what if I...." I did it and know how it was. Now I can go for my other goals and dreams.

There are also numerous discussions of how school should come first.... I'd think it was crazy if it was ANY sport, but especially crazy since she deferred without even knowing if she would make the team....

Sorry if this is stupid, but do you have the option to "defer" anywhere? Or is it a case-by-case thing? I had a teacher that took a year off of school after high school to do mission work or something and her college held her scholarships, but I assumed they only let her do that because she was super smart and eligible for their presidential scholarship, and they didn't want to lose her. How often does this happen?

Sorry if this is stupid, but do you have the option to "defer" anywhere? Or is it a case-by-case thing? I had a teacher that took a year off of school after high school to do mission work or something and her college held her scholarships, but I assumed they only let her do that because she was super smart and eligible for their presidential scholarship, and they didn't want to lose her. How often does this happen?

i think just about every school has this option (at least every one i've looked at.) every school i've attended also had a leave of absence (ranging from 2-10 years) where you could "pause" your education/financial aid/scholarships. you didn't need special permission, just had to notify the school and keep them updated with proper paperwork. and of course whether or not there would be space for you when you wanted to come back factored in. if you're going in as liberal arts or a broad major, usually not an issue, but if she auditioned for a specific music program, for example, there could possibly not be room if she didn't let the school know she was "un-deferring" with enough notice.

I didn't know you could defer an acceptance to a college - but I've never looked into that. I'm surprised you can do that somewhere as competitive to get into as Berkeley - you'd think they'd have wait-listed people who would want her spot and then next year they'd want her to reapply as there might be more qualified applicants, but if she cleared it with them and is sure she can just go later, I don't think there is anything wrong w/ her deferring starting school a little to cheer on Smoed.

Maybe, just maybe, if she is going for something math or science related she may struggle a bit by taking a break from academics, but I'm sure there are ways for her to keep her skills sharp.

I would have liked to see what they do for the "flyer" tryout.

Back