All-Star Cheerleaders With Presyncopy?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

May 18, 2010
Hello all, I've done some reading about it, but I thought I'd see if any of you have experience with this. I have a new girl at my gym who is 13 and has Presyncopy, but she has been cleared by her physician to participate. Presyncopy is a heart condition that results in frequent fainting. The girl has relayed to me that she knows when it's going to happen, and she just needs to sit when she gets tired. The thing that makes me nervous is that she wears a heart monitor, which is attached to her all the time. I have to be very gentle when spotting her tumbling, because the wires go across her whole torso, from her chest to the monitor on her hip. She is on my level 1 team, and will be flying, which is also something i'm trying to take slowly with her. Already, this is a kid who has a great attitude, comes to open gym, and has a natural talent for cheering. She is a great addition to our new program, regardless. She marched right up to me and proudly pointed out that she wears a heart monitor. She doesn't seem to be overly concerned about it at all, so why should I be, right?

So, my question is, are there any other athletes out there with this condition? Or coaches who have worked with an athlete who has this condition? I'd certainly be interested in hearing more about how this can be treated in a cheer setting. :)

wow, good for her for staying with her dream and not letting her condition stop her! i have never heard of it before, but if i was coaching her i would be interested in speaking with her doctor to educate myseslf more on it. what if she falls from a stunt with her heart monitor on?

and i am sure you have the doctor's note on file clearing her...

hmm.. in the fierce photos or not so fierce photos thread?.. there was that one photo of a team's pyramid with a base passed out on the ground.. i remember whoever posted it saying it as common and she nearly passed out at the end of every routine..not sure if it was the same condition, but if it was that person could probably help you or answer questions. now if only i could remember :confused:

I believe a dancer from Midwest Cheer Elite Toledo has this condition. Two years ago at Battle at the Capital we watched her pass out both days at the end of their hip hop routine. It scared the bejesus out of me but the coach said it's normal. I helped carry her off the stage thinking it was life threatening and the coaches and parents said it happens because of her heart condition. They may be really good ones to talk to as well.

I had a girl in my gym who is a Type 1 Diabetic and wore her insulin on her and would go into shocks if her numbers dropped. It's a scary thing at first, but you have to make sure you are knowledgable about the situation and that the parents/athletes have eqiupped you with the knowledge you need to help if that's the case.

The Dr. might not realize what kind of "cheerleading" she is doing so I would definitely want to see his notes and maybe see if he understands all that is involved in cheer so she can participate safely and you can worry less. Most Dr. think its the rah rah from 60 years ago and don't realize the tumbling, stunting, and routines cheerleaders put out there.

mybabywantstotumble already had the main suggestion I would make, which is to ask the parents if you could speak to the doctor to ensure you are aware of anything the doctor might think would be relevant - yes, it is not the norm for a coach to request to talk to a doctor, but you're not talking about a sprained wrist or a wrenched back and I would hope if I were the parent that I would appreciate that the coach wants to be well informed about a condition that would require my child to wear a heart monitor.

Not the best source but I believe thats the exact disease that they just put on the TV show Make it or Break it. The athlete performed with a monitor and they watched her closely. On the show her fingers would tingle right before passing out. I know its not real life, but it may be fairly common for athletes to continue to do sports with. The little girl may have symptoms that fainting is coming and you could learn what those are. I know as I coach I would be worried about her safety and the safety of girls around her. What if she passed out during the routine?

I would definitely speak with the parents and make sure that all communication is clear with them and the child's doctor about all that is involved. I don't think you would be allowed to speak directly to her doctor because it would violate HIPPA laws on the dr's part, unless you physically went to the dr's office with the family. If there are wires and things that are hanging loose maybe make sure she/her mom know to have her were like a cami top or something that would hold the wires in place underneath it and lessen the risk of them getting yanked out.

I was on a team with a girl who had a heart condition, not sure what it was, but she also had to wear a heart monitor that was connected to her chest. she was in my stunt group, and it was completely chill. we didn't worry about it. she was also one of our best tumblers! our coach called her ipod because she looked like she had an ipod on her hip. (in a joking way of course) :)

I think speaking to the doctor is a great idea as well. At the very least, you could show / explain what all star cheer is to him.

My daughter has sickle cell anemia and I always brought a typed and signed letter from her doctors, explaining what her condition is and what the treatment plan she is on, as well as her and I, talking to the coach personally. The letter also included the doctor's number/email so the coach could talk to the doctor themselves. That parent is intrusting you to take care of their kid, while she flys/tumbles and if talking to her doctor will make you the best coach you can be for her, then talk to the doctor. I don't know you personally, but I know about you from the boards, and from what I know,you love your kids and would hate if something would happen to her and you didn't know the best way to help her! Hoping for the best for you!

Back