All-Star Cheerleading Accepted By Sport Accord

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Mar 23, 2010
2ymhj61.jpg

Anyone know what this means or what it will involve?

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android || Upgrade Your Account!

I had no clue what this was or what it meant so I googled it. Here are their mission statement and services via their website in case anyone was wondering. I could be interpreting this totally wrong but it doesn't seem to be a huge deal to me?

"SportAccord’s mission is to UNITE and SUPPORT its members in the co-ordination and protection of their common aims and interests, while conserving and respecting their autonomy.
SportAccord is the umbrella organisation for both Olympic and non-Olympic international sports federations as well as organisers of international sporting events.
SportAccord members benefit from various services which support an ethical and socially responsible sports movement that adheres to principles of good governance and sustainability.
We encourage and facilitate knowledge sharing among members and provide expertise in relevant areas such as anti-doping, social responsibility, integrity, digital media. By establishing various multi-sports games that group together similar sports, we aim to promote our members and increase their visibility.
As an organisation, we identify with the key values of neutrality, transparency and accountability while promoting sport’s ability to contribute to positive change in communities."

"The number and variety of the services have been constantly growing. Currently, they include doping-free sport, fighting illegal betting, governance, sports' social responsibility, multi-sports games, the .sport initiative, The Sports Hub, SportAccord Convention and the IF Forum."

This is actually more a step to getting sideline competition recognized. Not STUNT.

This does make the whole situation with NCATA / STUNT and everything a bit muddier.

The model accepted by Sport Accord is more like UCA. It must have 40 seconds in a row of cheers with poms and signs, NO dancing allowed, some restrictions on acro release moves and tumbling as per FIG agreement. They are not allowed to do partner stunts outside of the 2 1/2 minute routine so STUNT would not be allowed in the international "sport" model.

This makes ICU and USA Cheer the governing body for ALL things cheer including STUNT and All Stars. USASF is under USA Cheer. I would look at the Sport Accord model as what could go to the Olympics some day, then All Stars and STUNT as disciplines.

Hope that helps.

This makes me nervous. I always have said and always will say that a "cheer" in a competition routine is the stupidest thin EVER! It ruins all routines. I don't care what format or style, it's stupid. 364 days the team is focused on supporting other teams. For 1 day the focus should be on that team and their skills. How one holds a sign shouldn't decide the winner. I HATE that. Now if there were to be a 100% separate "crowd leading" competition have at it. My job depends on skills, holding a sign or megaphone or Pom Pon is not a skill (that can't be taught in 10 seconds).

I'm all about the "recognition" but having a cheer in any routine on any level is stupid.

This makes me nervous. I always have said and always will say that a "cheer" in a competition routine is the stupidest thin EVER! It ruins all routines. I don't care what format or style, it's stupid. 364 days the team is focused on supporting other teams. For 1 day the focus should be on that team and their skills. How one holds a sign shouldn't decide the winner. I HATE that. Now if there were to be a 100% separate "crowd leading" competition have at it. My job depends on skills, holding a sign or megaphone or Pom Pon is not a skill (that can't be taught in 10 seconds).

I'm all about the "recognition" but having a cheer in any routine on any level is stupid.

Probably put the best way: you can't have nearly as many professionals with a solid year round job teaching crowd leading like tumbling / stunting / coaching.

The whole "cheer" section might be lame and boring (I agree totally. (We have it compulsory in our routines here in Sweden).. Though the main reason that I have heard as to why we are keeping the "cheer" is because it is what make us our own sport and since it is a part of our history. :)

The whole "cheer" section might be lame and boring (I agree totally. (We have it compulsory in our routines here in Sweden).. Though the main reason that I have heard as to why we are keeping the "cheer" is because it is what make us our own sport and since it is a part of our history. :)
Isn't the "cheer" what was argued AGAINST cheer as a sport in the Quinnipiac case? Idk details that's the vague understanding I have.

Back