All-Star Cheerleading At 2018 Winter Olympics ?!

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I think she meant. Team USA was asked first but tryouts being later on, timing etc university of Kentucky (UK) was picked (by team USA).
There is another thread so the two should be merged, but according to tweets of Team USA athletes this is not true.

There is another thread so the two should be merged, but according to tweets of Team USA athletes this is not true.
Oh I see. After reading the tweet by team USA cheer again, I realized it just said Kentucky was representing team USA. Nothing about how team USA was picked first etc.

sucks, but at the end of the day they arent really competing, they are performing in the opening ceremonies? and thats about it. Granted that makes even less sense, if they are just performing something simple, i feel like they could easily bring back past usa members to create something for it fairly quickly.
i want to imagine if coaches or whoever of team usa referred them to UK, its because they have connects with UK because of past athletes.

Rumor has it that a team from Flyers All-stars would represent Canada...

This isn't exactly being well received. Seeing as Flyers have actively discouraged/not allowed (not positive on their exact stance) their athletes to participate with Team Canada, there's people who are quite salty about it. I'm on the fence, but I'm not sure picking an all star team to show ICU/IOC style of cheer makes any kind of sense.

Cheerleaders will only preform at the Olympics!! There won’t be any cheerleading competition! (Especially not at winter olympics since that doesn’t make any sense)

They will be there to preform between breaks.
Cheerleaders also preformed in London 2012 (few UK gyms) and they gave them the ugliest uniforms so I have no idea why people is making such a big deal out of this. It’s nothing new.

If cheer would become an Olympics sport we would know few years before. Not 3 months before....

There is a lot of truth to your statement. Actually, Cheer was awarded provisional Olympic Sport status about a year ago. (Dec 6th 2016) The question now is, when will the "provisional" Olympic Status be removed?

There is some truth to the fact that if cheer is entered into the Olympic program it could potentially be a Winter Olympic sport. ( Although most view it as a Summer Games event) Typically, this matches up perfectly with the cheer schedules as most Winter Games begin early February. Most of the USA Cheer athletes are from collegiate programs so this makes sense.

Olympic publications are now starting to pick up the news which is exciting and validates the Olympic sport aspect. Many are hoping cheer will make it on to the program in the next 8 to 12 years. It could be announced in the next year or so if the provisional status is lifted. You are seeing talks of cheer entering the Youth Olympic Games (Buenos Aires 2018 maybe) which would be huge. You are right, this is nothing new about this performance except for the Olympic Status and potential to actually get into the Olympic Games.

Around the Rings Article - USA Cheer Team Invited to Perform at 2018 Winter Olympics

Last edited:
I've put some thought into why they didn't go with Team USA, and I think the answer is pretty simple: many of the members on Team USA are also currently on collegiate cheer teams, and the winter Olympics are taking place during the school season. I doubt many programs would've been very willing to let some of their athletes miss multiple weeks of practice to go train, so instead they picked an already established team that had multiple Team USA members on it.

This is all just a guess but I feel like it makes at least a little sense?

There is a lot of truth to your statement. Actually, Cheer was awarded provisional Olympic Sport status about a year ago. (Dec 6th 2016) The question now is, when will the "provisional" Olympic Status be removed?

There is some truth to the fact that if cheer is entered into the Olympic program it could potentially be a Winter Olympic sport. ( Although most view it as a Summer Games event) Typically, this matches up perfectly with the cheer schedules as most Winter Games begin early February. Most of the USA Cheer athletes are from collegiate programs so this makes sense.

Olympic publications are now starting to pick up the news which is exciting and validates the Olympic sport aspect. Many are hoping cheer will make it on to the program in the next 8 to 12 years. It could be announced in the next year or so if the provisional status is lifted. You are seeing talks of cheer entering the Youth Olympic Games (Buenos Aires 2018 maybe) which would be huge. You are right, this is nothing new about this performance except for the Olympic Status and potential to actually get into the Olympic Games.

Around the Rings Article - USA Cheer Team Invited to Perform at 2018 Winter Olympics
I wouldn't think it would be in the winter games as I was under the impression that all winter sports must use ice or snow.

This isn't exactly being well received. Seeing as Flyers have actively discouraged/not allowed (not positive on their exact stance) their athletes to participate with Team Canada, there's people who are quite salty about it. I'm on the fence, but I'm not sure picking an all star team to show ICU/IOC style of cheer makes any kind of sense.

I believe (and I am not 100%) that GW's also don't allow their athletes on TC. I know they have in the past.. But I think with recent years they haven't been allowed to partake in both.
I wonder if cheer was granted olympic status if that would change 1. These gyms policies or 2. These athletes motivation to join a particular team. Because it seems counter productive to have some of the best athletes in the nation not be allowed to represent the country.

I believe (and I am not 100%) that GW's also don't allow their athletes on TC. I know they have in the past.. But I think with recent years they haven't been allowed to partake in both.
I wonder if cheer was granted olympic status if that would change 1. These gyms policies or 2. These athletes motivation to join a particular team. Because it seems counter productive to have some of the best athletes in the nation not be allowed to represent the country.

An individual gym's policies regarding participation aren't what I take issue with. The NHL isn't having their players play Olympic hockey and such is their choice to do with their athletes. I think programs can set whatever policy they want with athletes being on a National or Olympic team and those athletes have to make their choices about what title is more important to them, USASF/IASF champion or Olympic Champion.

What I'm having trouble swallowing is that a program who doesn't allow that participation is suddenly our national representative when I know for a fact there are past and current Team Canada members ready and willing to do the work to participate in this.

I think that it would be smart for gyms to be able to say they produced X number of Olympic team members.

I agree about merging threads. Team USA has not held tryouts yet. The organization did refer them to UK.

Latest posts

Back