All-Star Cheerleading Fitness Test (idea For Testing)

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Saw your asga post about this the other day, was wondering if similar questions would be posted over here. Was very intrigued seeing all the measurement responses from so many coaches. 3 min handstand, gonna prove a lot of body control with that one alone! lol

If I have time next week I will see if my team can take a stab at this, then maybe compare the baseline numbers to how we (wife and I) as coaches view their abilities? See if they match up?

Would appreciate that. The ASGA can get a little high on itself with theory and the way things 'should' be. The reality is a test has to be practical for anyone with a cheer program to be able to do. So maybe it isn't perfect, but good enough.

Would appreciate that. The ASGA can get a little high on itself with theory and the way things 'should' be. The reality is a test has to be practical for anyone with a cheer program to be able to do. So maybe it isn't perfect, but good enough.
I could agree with that to say the least lol.

Makes sense to me as a coach and life long cheerleader. May need some tweaks as more people try it and provide feedback, but I think there is definitely something there in terms of universal athlete stats and growth tracking. Very uncovered part of cheer currently.

The only thing I don't think is useful is the long jump for distance. How is that a measure of physical fitness? Everyone's legs are a different length, and they have different proportions. I don't think that one is particularly helpful in cheer. Perhaps a number of sustained jumps of some sort with good form would be better.

The only thing I don't think is useful is the long jump for distance. How is that a measure of physical fitness? Everyone's legs are a different length, and they have different proportions. I don't think that one is particularly helpful in cheer. Perhaps a number of sustained jumps of some sort with good form would be better.

Aren't jumps and most tumbling skills done from a standing start position like a broad jump would? Also aren't stunts for bases and backspots in need of intense and quick leg strength? Same for top girls when they have to do skills that require a jump from them to begin or initiate?

Measuring jump strength by distance will allow one to see who has the needed strength for skills or who should have more skills based on their raw athletic ability.

Football tests the broad jump (which their sport doesn't have a jump really involved at all) for all positions, meaning the big linemen get tested alongside the smaller cornerbacks. Same with basketball regardless if they play center or point guard.

Its a more practical one than measuring vertical jump, which is just hard in cheer without the right equipment. But it might not be very strong either.

Aren't jumps and most tumbling skills done from a standing start position like a broad jump would? Also aren't stunts for bases and backspots in need of intense and quick leg strength? Same for top girls when they have to do skills that require a jump from them to begin or initiate?

Measuring jump strength by distance will allow one to see who has the needed strength for skills or who should have more skills based on their raw athletic ability.

Football tests the broad jump (which their sport doesn't have a jump really involved at all) for all positions, meaning the big linemen get tested alongside the smaller cornerbacks. Same with basketball regardless if they play center or point guard.
But that jump distance is very dependent on height and leg length, and NOT a direct measure of the power of the jump to do the things you are talking about. A 4' 8" girl with a 3 ft broad jump has way more power than a 5'8" girl with a 3 ft broad jump. It's just not a good measure of power (which in an of itself is very difficult to objectively measure). Football doesn't use the broad jump to make skill determination except for a few specialized things, and it's always considered in relation to height and leg length, not by itself. Everyone is tested on it, but it isn't used to make decisions for everyone.

and it's always considered in relation to height and leg length, not by itself. Everyone is tested on it, but it isn't used to make decisions for everyone.
That's how this should/will work I imagine. Stats without context are just numbers.

Would holding a hollow for a specific amount of time be an appropriate addition to your list? It's a basic "skill" in tumbling and stunting. I saw you had 2-3 (mostly) arm and leg workouts but only one core workout.

The handstand part sticks out a little to me. Are you asking for a free standing handstand or against a wall? Is it a perfect handstand where the athlete keeps their body in a straight line and balances through their fingers/palms or are they allowed to walk/bend their legs to keep their balance? Are you looking to see if they can hold themselves up (like against a wall for balance but they have their entire bodyweight on their arms) or if they are cordinated/advanced enough to hold a perfect handstand?

I like the idea of a test though!

Against a wall is fine. I lifted the handstand thing from gymnastics avtuallyn

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just wondering...do kids is USA have a fitness test in school? We have fitness test every year from first grade in primary school to last grade in high school.

Just wondering...do kids is USA have a fitness test in school? We have fitness test every year from first grade in primary school to last grade in high school.

We do but depending on which one they use not all of them are great. I think the most common is the presidential fitness test.

But that jump distance is very dependent on height and leg length, and NOT a direct measure of the power of the jump to do the things you are talking about. A 4' 8" girl with a 3 ft broad jump has way more power than a 5'8" girl with a 3 ft broad jump. It's just not a good measure of power (which in an of itself is very difficult to objectively measure). Football doesn't use the broad jump to make skill determination except for a few specialized things, and it's always considered in relation to height and leg length, not by itself. Everyone is tested on it, but it isn't used to make decisions for everyone.

Divide the distance of the jump by the athletes height and/or leg length. Gets you a relative number to that athlete.

i.e. I am 172cm tall and I jumped 150cm. (150/172) x 100 = 87.2% of my height
Little Suzie is 150cm tall and jumped 160 cm. (160/150) x 100 = 106% of her height

There you can deduct Suzie's jump probably had more power & better technique then my jump (for example) - of course this is not perfect - but it is better then saying so & so jumped further so she is stronger....

CP is 9 and level 4, I'll have her try it tomorrow, she normally likes a fitness challenge. I'm not sure what Dips are though?

Back