All-Star "cheerleading Is Not A Sport"

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

i usually just say if cheerleading isn't a sport then neither is gymnastics. tumbling, stunts, etc.. all gymnastics. then i make them come to the gym and they're too scared to try anything. lol
...not a sport pshh

Not only is all star cheerleading a sport but IMO it's more of a team sport than soccer, baseball, football etc etc in soccer if one player decides to pull back then the rest of the players on the field can keep playing and still be effective. However, in cheer that just can't happen imagine if somebody just stopped in your routine? Disaster!
My CP has learned what hard work really is and how to be a team player in this sport. She has competed with pneumonia (her idea not necessarily mine) because even at 8 she realized that he team couldn't put up the pyramid without her.
Lastly, all star cheerleaders can't afford to get stage fright. I know it sounds silly but 'just doing it' in from of thousands of people is a skill many kids don't, Nd never will, have. That alone will serve these kids greatly later in life.
Sorry for the long rant but cheerleading is a sport and I would just laugh at anyone who says it's not!

This! If someone ever tells me cheerleading isn't a sport....I just say oh okay, go do a roundoff backhandspring full/double full, and tumble through people without getting scared, try a full up to heel strech tick tock scale double down without dropping your flyer, stand there and do three bankhandspring to a full. Most of the time, they'll say No! I can't do that! Cheerleading is the biggest team sport ever, it's all about TRUST and knowledge of the sport, if your flyer thinks you won't catch her, that's one of the biggest problems you have, you have to build and maintain trust if you want your stunt to go up, if you're flyer trusts you, she can do anything to her ability for you. Almost anyone can throw a football, basketball, hit a baseball, and even hit a golfball. But if you say, oh just do a backhandspring infront of thousands of people, they get freaked out and say, well I can't. That's because it's more of a mental aspect more than it is physical. Or if someone says cheerleading isn't a sport, I usually can't handle it because I get so mad, lol then I resort to a video :p

I've noticed that people give up moast of the time if you ridicule them.
Like:
Moron: cheerleading isn't a sport.
Me: Yeah you're right. We just stand there with short skirts, look pretty and wave some pompons around. You also get extra points if you sleep with the football team. It's so easy, and we just do it to be popular.
Moron: *quiet with a wierd look on his/her face*

Step one in defending Cheerleading as a Sport: Make the person define what a sport is. You can't have a serious argument until you establish what the criteria are.

I don't think that it comes down to how "hard" or "cool" it is.

Normally I just do this.
tumblr_lmhetm82Pn1qh7zvf.gif

This is the best thing i have ever seen :)) I usually just throw out a full on the grass on a tuck if we r on cement :cheering:

see here's the thing. what I usually say is, "in a way you're right, but in another way you are completely and utterly wrong". Game cheering, no matter how you look at it, is not a sport. For one, you are cheering on another team, you are having to be cheesy on the sidelines and jump up and down and be all hokey. And while I understand that this is the all star cheerleading boards, most people that make this comment do not understand the difference. Competition cheerleading, whether it be H.S., Middle School, Pop Warner, Rec, All-Star, whatever, is a sport. When arguing your point you may want to bring the differences between the two, into light. That way people will not just be like, oh well obviously your a cheerleader so your going to say that it is a sport. If they see your willing to concede a little maybe they will as well. Then you can break out the vids. For the people that argue that game cheerleading is a sport, there is no scoring, there is no winning or losing a sideline. Even though you do athletic things if you stunt or tumble for your team, there is no way to compete or win or lose :)

Step one in defending Cheerleading as a Sport: Make the person define what a sport is. You can't have a serious argument until you establish what the criteria are.

I don't think that it comes down to how "hard" or "cool" it is.

Definitely this. I was going to say the same thing.

It really depends on WHY they are saying that. If they're just ignorant and they finish it with something like "Really...standing next to a football field waving your pom poms and yelling is not a sport." then it's easy to argue that one down - I usually say "Hm...yeah you're right. But since neither of my kids has ever done that, I guess we're not talking about the same thing. I'm talking about competitive cheer - have you ever seen it?" These are also the people who usually say "Even a judge said so!" and I'm ready and armed with my aresenal of facts for these people - I've actually been successful occasionally on this one, once I explain what the judge actually ruled and that the media just ran with the whole "Judge rules that cheerleading is not a sport" angle.

If they're saying it because they just want to be obnoxious...then I don't waste my breath or time...I just go with the eye roll and the aforementioned "Shut up"

If they actually define sport and their definition doesn't encompass cheerleading (this is where the judge's ruling came in) - most of the people in this group will argue that cheer doesn't have any kind of objective scoring, it's all subjective - these people have a point that is much harder to argue with. I've found that most of these people are not disputing that cheer is an "athletic activity" - so showing them TG video will get you nowhere. These are usually people who also don't think gymnastics, figure skating, and golf are sports either. I usually discuss for about 2 minutes and then agree to disagree.

i've had this argument with too many people, too many times. i've given up. us cheerleaders know how hard what we do is, forget whoever says it's not a sport.

Back