College Cheerleading Tryout Restrictions

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Dec 3, 2013
I coach at a University where they don't allow tryouts to be held for new comers or incoming freshman until August. Does anyone else have this problem? And how do you deal with it or work around it?

We did when I was in college. We did a tryout for returners in the spring and a tryout for incoming freshmen in the fall. We followed that with a UCA home camp. It wasn't ideal, but it was doable.

^^^The logic behind a lot of "no freshmen" rules has to do with wanting them to adjust to the University/college life before making a commitment.

They want to try and avoid the "freshman starts cheer, freshman gets terrible grades, freshman quits cheer in January." thing.

or the ever-popular "freshman cheers, freshman parties, freshman gets horrible grades, does not return to school in Spring. transfers home." thing.

I think Auburn is not really competitive? If they were, that would be tough as you'd have kids getting all "rusty" sitting around for a year not using skills regularly.

I feel like somewhere on here years ago it was posted that UNC Chapel Hill is like this. I feel like I remember Maddie Gardeners dad explaining that she (and other incoming freshman) were able to workout with the team all summer and then found out later what team they were on. I could have this completely mixed up and wrong, but it's worth investigating if you're looking for coaches to connect with and see how they do things.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

They don't?! Not at all? Any idea why?

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

There are several reasons but the couple that I can think of are that Auburn doesn't compete and also like onecoolcoachnowmom just posted is that it's very difficult for a freshman in college to adjust to college life. Being away from your family is very difficult for a college freshman.

Another college that I can think of that doesn't allow freshmen to try out is Notre Dame.

I know my daughter took Auburn off her list for that very reason. For us joining the squad as a freshman creates more opportunities than it does potential problems. Having a place she belongs, doing something she loves, keeping in shape, and supporting her new school's sports teams, all with people who value what she does, is an ideal start for college.

Back