All-Star Cheerleading With Type 1 Diabetes

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

May 3, 2010
Hey fierceboarders :) so at cheersport i saw a girl waiting in line at warm ups(who cheered for FAME i think) and she had an insulin pump because she had diabetes and i was just curious as to how she stunts and tumbles without it falling out or breaking! im sure other cheerleaders have this too and i was always curious as to how they do all the stunting and twisting and flipping without it ever breaking or anything! sorry if this is a stupid question, but i really wanted an answer haha!

I've had kids cheer with insulin pumps. They remove the piece before they compete.

yeah there's a girl on my squad who has one! during football games she has this tape she puts over it from falling out when she jumps and stuff, and then during competitions and stuff she checks right before she goes on and takes it out!

Just disconnect the pump site from the patch (which just sticks on stomach for most) at competition and practice, and then put it back on afterwardsss.

I have diabetes with my pump I take it off before I compete and as soon as I walk off the floor I put it back in.

there is a cali mom on here, her daughter has diabetes and her daughter is so fierce! My best friend has diabetes..shes had such a hard time with it this year...she quit all star and she just did school cheer. Literally she has missed like 50 days of school this year and when she got it 2 years ago i remember she missed school for a month. She doesnt were her pump while she competed or cheers on the side lines. But she knows when her blood is low or high and ive learned to know as well...I honestly couldnt imagine going through what she goes through everyday. Shes my hero!! I wish i could take it away from her & i have it so she could have the "normal" life. Break my heart </3

My daughter has tyupe 1 diabetes....I am proud to say that it does not stop her or any other of these brave kids from living their dream...she has a pump....she removes it during practice....she is a flyer and her site gets ripped out lots....she comes and gets me...we put a new one in...off she goes...she is great and what is even better...her team is amazing about it....she is my hero...:)

My daughter has tyupe 1 diabetes....I am proud to say that it does not stop her or any other of these brave kids from living their dream...she has a pump....she removes it during practice....she is a flyer and her site gets ripped out lots....she comes and gets me...we put a new one in...off she goes...she is great and what is even better...her team is amazing about it....she is my hero...:)

Ouch, i always get really mad at myself when i rip mine out, haha :p
I dont fly anymore, but has she ever tried a site on her butt? lol i find that mine stays in best when its on my butt, just have to be cautious about it when pulling my pants up and down. haha

Ouch, i always get really mad at myself when i rip mine out, haha :p
I dont fly anymore, but has she ever tried a site on her butt? lol i find that mine stays in best when its on my butt, just have to be cautious about it when pulling my pants up and down. haha

She hasnt tried there yet...thank you so much for the tip...I would imagine she will try it...we try to keep it moving...:) You are brave and amazing...hats off to you my dear!!! Blessings

Hey there! I'm Julie and the founder of Cheer for a Cause (all about the heart of your Cheer & Dance World). I've seen a lot of athletes wearing pumps, and one of my junior coaches when I worked with a rec team wore one.

We're thinking to do a cause month on Juvenile Diabetes in November, which is awareness month. Would any of you like to share your story and maybe even go on camera to talk about your experience? Find out more about Cheer for a Cause at http://www.cheerforacause.org. If you're interested, PM me. If you're a minor, we (of course) get your parent's permission!

jenee a few years back...:) she has since moved to Cali Allstars...is on Smoed...full steam ahead...these kids who battle this disease everyday are my heros!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ab3HmoF2Q3I
Jenee is amazing and WOW just makes me smile! The video is great. I'll definitely share this and her cause in November!! It was eye-opening to see how many times a day she checks her insulin levels. Such responsibility for such a little girl. And I wasn't surprised that her gym family is a big part of the love that surrounds and supports her. I love our CHEER WORLD FAMILY!

Back