All-Star Cheerlebrity Lessons?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Would you attend a cheerlebrity seminar for your CP?

• Yes

Votes: 7 6.8%
  • No

Votes: 96 93.2%

• Total voters
There must be a interest in "how to become a Cheerlebrity" for these ladies to put this out. Whats wrong with offering free info for those who are interested? As mentioned previously, this could also be used for marketing for something else as well. I wish all who are interested well.

* disclaimer - I don't agree with how the seminar was advertised as a cheerlebrity lesson, but I will try and provide a different P.O.V as to why I wish someone could have maybe provided me with the information taught in this seminar (or what I imagine would be taught) when I was a high school athlete.

I was in the peak of my all-star career when the whole 'cheerlebrity' thing boomed (Maddie Gardner/Erica Englebert/Kelsey Rule times). As already mentioned somewhere in this thread, these girls had raw talent that was recognized by the industry. Despite just the raw talent, these girls still very much marketed themselves through YouTube (2x2 videos) and facebook... as instagram was not yet widely used. Yes they promoted products, had endorsements, were asked for pictures from fans & all-and-all lived an above average lifestyle for most young girls/athletes in america.

Fast forward 7(?) ish years and where are these girls now?... As someone who tirelessly followed cheerleading and kept-up with the cheerlebrity gossip when I was in highschool, I couldn't tell you what these girls are doing now, or at least in as much detail as I once could. (ie. I know Kelsey is doing A&T, and Maddie Cheered at a school in NC). And, in my opinion - that's because these girls chose to drop out of the spotlight. They no longer wanted the 'fame' and wanted to have a 'regular' life in college - which is great. If these girls choose to no longer promote themselves as a brand, the next big thing will swoop in and take over- and they have.

However, in an era where you can turn your personal brand into a 6 figure+ income (I call it the "kardashian job' where youtubers and social media influences alike are creating a hefty income channel through just being themselves) - these cheerlebrity girls had the networking base in order to grow that brand should they have wanted to.

The economy is at a point where graduates with expensive degrees cannot afford to survive in entry-level corporate positions. The cost of living is just too high - which leaves kids moving back home after university, taking second and third jobs just to survive. Which is why entrepreneurial en devours such as social media 'fame' are SO appealing especially to young people. It gives them the freedom to continue doing the things the love- not succumb to the pressures of corporate america to earn a living.

Now, with all this said, I do not think that this lifestyle and 'fame' is for everyone, and not everyone wants it. However, if parents are informed on strategies to play 'momager' for their kids - maybe or maybe not learned at this 'cheerlebrity' seminar, should kids want the option to pursue building a personal brand they have someone to help guide them - and do it in a tasteful way (for example not promoting every product that approaches you, using multiple forms of media to capture an audience, etc).
All-in-all many have had success doing it on their own, and I am personally friends with some who have (check out MayBaby on youtube... I cheered with her for years). But with that said - there is a right & wrong way to do it (IMO) and I can appreciate someone who is willing to take the time to teach parents and kids how to do it right.

So no I do not agree with a 'cheerlebrity seminar' as I think marketing yourself as a cheerlebrity can only get you so far & eventually your time in the cheer spotlight will expire. But perhaps information on marketing your personal brand is something more applicable in today's social media-tech immersed society - which I am more on-board with.

ETA: I also don't think its appropriate for 3 year old Suzie being marketed by mom because she's working on her backhandspring .... I'm referring more to teenagers who are going to be using social media ANYWAYS - why not be entrepreneurial & productive with the hours spent on their devices.
Good post!

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Good post!

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Maddie graduated from UNC-CH and took a entrance level job as a reporter at WFMY in Greensboro. Why? Top 50 market. She has just gotten a promotion to weekend am anchor after 1 year and is now self sufficient. Why? Because cheer was good for her. It made her tough. She learned how to win and lose in public and learn. She was both celebrated and chastised at the the same time. But she did not and will never try to "cash in" on cheer. It was who she was as a teen. She loved cheer, she still loves Ben and Courtney and she loved to compete with her team and teammates and win and lose with them period. And congrats to Elaine and World Cup. They define the program that makes you be your best. But she, as everyone else, moved on, and so should all of you. Cheer is an opportunity to learn competition, working as a team and dealing with success and failure, as a team. And then there is life. Embrace it. And in some way, back in the memories, we cherish the cheer life as a family, as the parents of a "cheerlebrity" but it is not who we are or where we are headed. It was a stepping stone towards the real world. Enjoy it while you can, remember it for what it provided to your child and family. And enjoy life afterwards. All Star Cheer was a joy. Cherish the time.

Last edited:
Back