All-Star Cheerlebrity Lessons?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Would you attend a cheerlebrity seminar for your CP?

• Yes

Votes: 7 6.8%
  • No

Votes: 96 93.2%

• Total voters
I don't even understand all of this.
I don't think NCAA eligibility works the way everyone is thinking.
"Part of being an NCAA athlete is abiding by some basic rules set forward by the association. Chief among these is that all college athletes maintain their amateur status. Because a college athlete is having his education paid for by the university, it is expected that the athlete is financially comfortable. As a result, athletes must agree not to take money for things such as sponsorship deals, celebrity appearances, or contact with professional sports personnel. The NCAA even enforces rules on how many hours an athlete can work for a company each week." (NCAA Eligibility. Don't Accept Payment From Agents).
The way I'm reading that is it doesn't matter if the sponsorship was taken under "All Star Cheer", if they accept money in sponsorship period, it can affect eligibility. Maybe I'm reading it wrong but the article goes on to say two OK football players were dismissed and they worked for a car dealership as administrative assistants. I don't know, not something I would want to mess around with.
Going on to say...the majority of "cheerlebrities" I've seen on social media do not have parents hurting in the money department anyway so maybe NCAA eligibility isn't on their radar.
As far as the income discussion, this is a mid-high income sport. If there is anyone left in that lower middle class bracket that hasn't been priced out, they are currently to busy working 2-3 jobs to make it through these last few seasons they have to be thinking about how to make Susie a "Cheerlebrity".

Not calling out one specific Susie at all, however, if the point of the massive hairpiece is to get noticed, I've fallen directly into the trap.
Can't. Stop. Looking. At. It. :(
I literally see only that kid and whatever stunt she's in. Damn you posh pony.

I think it's all in what you want and how they are done. My CP has one and no one knows it isn't here real hair, to the point that a coach that she sees several times a week went through 2 competitions with her, warmups and all, before she knew she had it. She saw me taking it out, and said "how long has she had that? I thought her hair was just getting longer"

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I think it's all in what you want and how they are done. My CP has one and no one knows it isn't here real hair, to the point that a coach that she sees several times a week went through 2 competitions with her, warmups and all, before she knew she had it. She saw me taking it out, and said "how long has she had that? I thought her hair was just getting longer"

My daughter has one, too. She has very fine hair and it just looks like her hair is thick. PLUS - it is so easy. She puts her hair in a teeny bun, puts it in and bobby pins for security. It comes out so easy and what little hair she has isn't damaged. No more fights as I'm combing out her tease.

I'm sure there are some lovey natural hair pieces out there, keeping hair damage free from teasing and curling is a nice bonus. Looking like an extra from hairspray is more the direction I'm pointing in. Kudos for keeping your child from looking like a bobble head. ;)

Yeah, it's the thing that kind of looks like someone stapled Cousin It to their head. There are some that aren't ridiculous. But when a person could stack 2 bows on top of their head and STILL have fake hair showing, we have a problem.

I'll admit, I always get a little nostalgic when I see them....

I always had a thing for Peg Bundy and Veronica from the Archie Comics

Let me preface this by saying that I don't care enough about all star cheerleading or any individual cheerleader to have a CLUE who you are talking about, so what I'm about to post is not a shot at an individual, but at a looming trend.

If that "posh pony" you reference is one of those big phony hair things that I've seen two kids wearing this year...

They're one ridged forehead mask piece away from turning into a freaking Klingon.

Edited: because fierceboard changed my synonym for a donkey into the word "booty"
I honestly don't have an issue with a SR aged girl wearing a posh pony especially worlds teams.
The only time I was SMDH over them was when I saw a MINI 1 team with EVERY SINGLE KID with one I just about lost it. It's getting out of hand.

They're fine but just like everything else, people have to get all extra to try and get their kid noticed....

I don't even understand all of this.
I don't think NCAA eligibility works the way everyone is thinking.
"Part of being an NCAA athlete is abiding by some basic rules set forward by the association. Chief among these is that all college athletes maintain their amateur status. Because a college athlete is having his education paid for by the university, it is expected that the athlete is financially comfortable. As a result, athletes must agree not to take money for things such as sponsorship deals, celebrity appearances, or contact with professional sports personnel. The NCAA even enforces rules on how many hours an athlete can work for a company each week." (NCAA Eligibility. Don't Accept Payment From Agents).
The way I'm reading that is it doesn't matter if the sponsorship was taken under "All Star Cheer", if they accept money in sponsorship period, it can affect eligibility. Maybe I'm reading it wrong but the article goes on to say two OK football players were dismissed and they worked for a car dealership as administrative assistants. I don't know, not something I would want to mess around with.
Going on to say...the majority of "cheerlebrities" I've seen on social media do not have parents hurting in the money department anyway so maybe NCAA eligibility isn't on their radar.
As far as the income discussion, this is a mid-high income sport. If there is anyone left in that lower middle class bracket that hasn't been priced out, they are currently to busy working 2-3 jobs to make it through these last few seasons they have to be thinking about how to make Susie a "Cheerlebrity".

I know the NCAA got brought into this, but wanted to clarify for you that the NCAA doesn't care one itsy bitsy teenie tiny little bit about cheerleader eligibility. UCA implemented a rule a few years back to limit athletes to (I believe) five national championship appearances. I do not know if NCA has the same rule. Outside of those rules, if you wanted to cheer for 9 year while you earned your masters degree in German Polka History, and then four more years while earning a real degree instead of whining because German Polka History didn't get you a six-figure job, the NCAA wouldn't give a rip. If they did, none of these kids who do so much as teach tumbling private lessons at their local gym would be eligible to cheer in college.

I know the NCAA got brought into this, but wanted to clarify for you that the NCAA doesn't care one itsy bitsy teenie tiny little bit about cheerleader eligibility. UCA implemented a rule a few years back to limit athletes to (I believe) five national championship appearances. I do not know if NCA has the same rule. Outside of those rules, if you wanted to cheer for 9 year while you earned your masters degree in German Polka History, and then four more years while earning a real degree instead of whining because German Polka History didn't get you a six-figure job, the NCAA wouldn't give a rip. If they did, none of these kids who do so much as teach tumbling private lessons at their local gym would be eligible to cheer in college.
NCA has same rule. You can only compete 5 years at the National competition. Many grad students still cheer. One of my CP teammates cheered for 4 years in TN, then 2 at our school. She never competed at NCA with her old school. NCAA does not care one bit about any funds earned by college cheerleaders, not a sport according to them.

* disclaimer - I don't agree with how the seminar was advertised as a cheerlebrity lesson, but I will try and provide a different P.O.V as to why I wish someone could have maybe provided me with the information taught in this seminar (or what I imagine would be taught) when I was a high school athlete.

I was in the peak of my all-star career when the whole 'cheerlebrity' thing boomed (Maddie Gardner/Erica Englebert/Kelsey Rule times). As already mentioned somewhere in this thread, these girls had raw talent that was recognized by the industry. Despite just the raw talent, these girls still very much marketed themselves through YouTube (2x2 videos) and facebook... as instagram was not yet widely used. Yes they promoted products, had endorsements, were asked for pictures from fans & all-and-all lived an above average lifestyle for most young girls/athletes in america.

Fast forward 7(?) ish years and where are these girls now?... As someone who tirelessly followed cheerleading and kept-up with the cheerlebrity gossip when I was in highschool, I couldn't tell you what these girls are doing now, or at least in as much detail as I once could. (ie. I know Kelsey is doing A&T, and Maddie Cheered at a school in NC). And, in my opinion - that's because these girls chose to drop out of the spotlight. They no longer wanted the 'fame' and wanted to have a 'regular' life in college - which is great. If these girls choose to no longer promote themselves as a brand, the next big thing will swoop in and take over- and they have.

However, in an era where you can turn your personal brand into a 6 figure+ income (I call it the "kardashian job' where youtubers and social media influences alike are creating a hefty income channel through just being themselves) - these cheerlebrity girls had the networking base in order to grow that brand should they have wanted to.

The economy is at a point where graduates with expensive degrees cannot afford to survive in entry-level corporate positions. The cost of living is just too high - which leaves kids moving back home after university, taking second and third jobs just to survive. Which is why entrepreneurial en devours such as social media 'fame' are SO appealing especially to young people. It gives them the freedom to continue doing the things the love- not succumb to the pressures of corporate america to earn a living.

Now, with all this said, I do not think that this lifestyle and 'fame' is for everyone, and not everyone wants it. However, if parents are informed on strategies to play 'momager' for their kids - maybe or maybe not learned at this 'cheerlebrity' seminar, should kids want the option to pursue building a personal brand they have someone to help guide them - and do it in a tasteful way (for example not promoting every product that approaches you, using multiple forms of media to capture an audience, etc).
All-in-all many have had success doing it on their own, and I am personally friends with some who have (check out MayBaby on youtube... I cheered with her for years). But with that said - there is a right & wrong way to do it (IMO) and I can appreciate someone who is willing to take the time to teach parents and kids how to do it right.

So no I do not agree with a 'cheerlebrity seminar' as I think marketing yourself as a cheerlebrity can only get you so far & eventually your time in the cheer spotlight will expire. But perhaps information on marketing your personal brand is something more applicable in today's social media-tech immersed society - which I am more on-board with.

ETA: I also don't think its appropriate for 3 year old Suzie being marketed by mom because she's working on her backhandspring .... I'm referring more to teenagers who are going to be using social media ANYWAYS - why not be entrepreneurial & productive with the hours spent on their devices.

I think we are looking at it from the standpoint of parents promoting their kids. But back when we were naive, and Varsity did not own everything, and cheer did not cost a down payment for a house, the "cheerlebrity" was born. I don't think that Erica's mom knew what she was doing when posted her first video on YouTube. YouTube was not what it is now, back then. I'm pretty sure she just wanted everyone to see her cute daughter's new 2x2video. Then, surprise! Folks were actually asking for more Erica videos. It was probably flattering. Suddenly, kids wanted to see and meet her and it probably snowballed from there. I don't think she knew that the first video would go viral and what that would mean for her child.

So, now that we are all well versed on these things, I am surprised that no one ever put on a "How To" lesson before this. How do you manage it when everyone wants to dress like your child? How do you keep them humble? How do you start a clothing line? What do you say when shoe companies want your daughter to tumble in their shoes? What should the contract look like? What are the child labor laws, and do they apply? These are all very interesting and important questions; especially if you find that your are the mom of a teen phenom. The last thing you want is for your CP to be cheated, or for your child to miss out on a great opportunity for their future.

I think we are looking at it from the standpoint of parents promoting their kids. But back when we were naive, and Varsity did not own everything, and cheer did not cost a down payment for a house, the "cheerlebrity" was born. I don't think that Erica's mom knew what she was doing when posted her first video on YouTube. YouTube was not what it is now, back then. I'm pretty sure she just wanted everyone to see her cute daughter's new 2x2video. Then, surprise! Folks were actually asking for more Erica videos. It was probably flattering. Suddenly, kids wanted to see and meet her and it probably snowballed from there. I don't think she knew that the first video would go viral and what that would mean for her child.

So, now that we are all well versed on these things, I am surprised that no one ever put on a "How To" lesson before this. How do you manage it when everyone wants to dress like your child? How do you keep them humble? How do you start a clothing line? What do you say when shoe companies want your daughter to tumble in their shoes? What should the contract look like? What are the child labor laws, and do they apply? These are all very interesting and important questions; especially if you find that your are the mom of a teen phenom. The last thing you want is for your CP to be cheated, or for your child to miss out on a great opportunity for their future.

Exactly! You worded this so well!! It is important for parents to know what questions to ask, and when to ask them.

You are all laughing about this. I'm over here wondering why my average high schooler didn't stumble into youtube fame to pay for some of these outrageous stay to play hotel prices.
Not really, I saw what happened with April during her YouTube career. If a giraffe can't escape criticism there's no way I'd want that for my child.

The use of the word "cheerlebrity" to define a well known athlete (whether based on their skill or likability) dilutes their potential accomplishments in the wide wide world of sports. Are there soccerlebritys, swimlebritys....there are without the kitschy branding. Recognition awards and regular reporting both in season and post season are a part of main stream sports at the HS, collegiate and pro level. Athletes become known, not just because of a great shot at the buzzer, but because if not viewed in real time, it is reported on. The current visibility and culture of cheer is not yet main stream enough and perhaps why some choose their own path.

Slightly off topic, but feeding into this "cheerlebritysusiesnowflakeneedstofly" syndrome - the vendors. I saw a tweet this morning from an industry vendor that showed a stunt group and they only tagged the flyer about how amazing she was. I'm watching the stunt thinking that yes, she is great, but the three girls underneath her are absolutely killing it. But the likes and retweets are in the hundreds.....
Those are the marketing strategies that make me find another company to buy from.

Back