All-Star Cheersport 2015

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

The last team goes on at 9:28pm. If you have specific bid declarations, qualified judges and a workable scoresheet, there is no reason to have to delay bids 24 hours. Computers calculate scores in seconds. There is plenty of time for some video review if needed. I would rather the last awards session start at 11pm then delay every single bid announcement until the competition is over. Is there any other sport or even activity that does this?

I agree about division splits. I was looking at small coed division I and II and it's....interesting.

then factor in the different judging panels and things just get wacky. I wish there was a better way to do the bids while the kids are there for awards, but i think this is good.

However, I wish they'd share what their process will be. just watching videos of all the winners and choosing your favorite? taking top 1/2/5 from each division split and rescoring them against each other? comparing division winners across each level? I'd like transparency and if their process does include a rescore I'd like to see all of those scoresheets after the bids are announced.

if your post is in response to me, I didn't mean you! Just the random, very active coaches on twitter who seem to be in an uproar. I hope they're also shouting about the reasons why bid announcements need to wait until the next day.

Ok. :) Your first post made no mention of twitter coaches or I would of never responded. I hardly use my twitter so I don't see most of that stuff over there. I have been pushing for better judging accountability for years. As a former gymnastic judge I would not personally touch judging cheer with a ten foot pole. Not that judges are all bad because they are not. There are things wrong with the system that needs to be fixed. They can only work within the system as well or choose not to judge. Which then leaves us with newer and less informed judges.

then factor in the different judging panels and things just get wacky. I wish there was a better way to do the bids while the kids are there for awards, but i think this is good.

However, I wish they'd share what their process will be. just watching videos of all the winners and choosing your favorite? taking top 1/2/5 from each division split and rescoring them against each other? comparing division winners across each level? I'd like transparency and if their process does include a rescore I'd like to see all of those scoresheets after the bids are announced.
I'd love a rescore of combined divisions. But if you're going to do that why not just combine them in the first place, you know? I get no one wants to go travel and end up in 42nd place, but that hasn't seemed to deter NCA registrations.

With the amount of judging issues already this season, transparency is a must.

I scoped out Division II but haven't for Division I yet. I thought the Division II was interesting myself. Now let me go look at Division I.
Going off strictly "big" gym names here, (aka no one be offended if I didn't include your team name in this quick breakdown) I don't see that much of a difference in the two.

Division I:
Charlotte Allstars
Louisiana Cheer Force
ACX
Maryland Twisters
ACE
Cheer Extreme

Division II:
Brandon
Ultimate Athletics
Cheer Athletics - Charlotte
Rockstar
Twist & Shout

Both seem to be competitive. Each one has a globe winner from last year. Yes one has Brandon and Rockstar, but I think that's the big match up a lot of people are excited to see. It would be pretty disappointing to have them in separate divisions.

Double post, apologies.

While I'm not the biggest fan of the division splits (someone always feels like they got shafted), I understand why Cheersport does it. It can be a big benefit to the smaller level 5s. They feel like they are going in with a better shot at a higher placement and getting one of the bids. I think it's beneficial that the two largest non-Worlds competitions handle their level 5s in different ways. Gives gym owners choices.

I thought the reason for division splits was because no one judging panel could handle judging 50-100 teams (in some cases)?

The last team goes on at 9:28pm. If you have specific bid declarations, qualified judges and a workable scoresheet, there is no reason to have to delay bids 24 hours. Computers calculate scores in seconds. There is plenty of time for some video review if needed. I would rather the last awards session start at 11pm then delay every single bid announcement until the competition is over. Is there any other sport or even activity that does this?

My guess is that this was their solution with comparative scoring before Varsity said they were going to scrap that. With comparative scoring, you can't just take the highest scores when determining bids, so I think they planned to re-judge everyone across divisions/splits, etc. It makes sense. It is disappointing that those kids won't get their moment of celebration on the stage.

Going off strictly "big" gym names here, (aka no one be offended if I didn't include your team name in this quick breakdown) I don't see that much of a difference in the two.

Division I:
Charlotte Allstars
Louisiana Cheer Force
ACX
Maryland Twisters
ACE
Cheer Extreme

Division II:
Brandon
Ultimate Athletics
Cheer Athletics - Charlotte
Rockstar
Twist & Shout

Both seem to be competitive. Each one has a globe winner from last year. Yes one has Brandon and Rockstar, but I think that's the big match up a lot of people are excited to see. It would be pretty disappointing to have them in separate divisions.

I agree about having Brandon and Rockstar in the same division being exciting but I wouldn't want to be any other team in that division. In no way am I saying that Brandon or Rockstar will win that division at Cheersport. I don't know how all the teams have performed so far this year. I certainly recognize all of the gyms. When I looked at Division II it was because we are at Rockstar and I wanted to know who the Beatles were competing against. I thought maybe Smoed was in the other division. I didn't know if they were attending but there is a CA team from Livermore competing in the SLCR5 so I thought maybe Smoed would be there and that they were in the other division. I certainly don't feel that Brandon or Rockstar are the be all and end all in the small coed division this year (because I don't know that much about all the teams) but they are two of the three teams that the cheer world seems to have high expectations from this season. I know enough about competition to know that anything can happen at any given time. I also know enough about competition to know that the teams competing in Division I are just fine with their division but the ones in Division II not so much. If my CP was competing in Division II and she wasn't on one of the two "Showdown" teams I wouldn't be at all excited about going to Cheersport this year.
If that comes across as snarky or uppity I apologize because that is not at all my intention. I changed the wording more than once to try to make my point without seeming like I thought those two teams were better than the others because I really don't know. I mean, I think the Beatles are all that and a bag of amazing chips but I'm admittedly biased. ;) I watch them practice several times a week since my CP is practicing at the same time and they have taken on one of my CP's teams as a sister team and they have been crazy supportive of them.
What I'm saying is that if Cheersport wants to have Brandon and Rockstar in the same Division for a head to head deal I'm fine with that but if this was a sport where teams were "seeded" like in football or basketball playoffs those two teams wouldn't be starting in the same bracket.

I agree about having Brandon and Rockstar in the same division being exciting but I wouldn't want to be any other team in that division. In no way am I saying that Brandon or Rockstar will win that division at Cheersport. I don't know how all the teams have performed so far this year. I certainly recognize all of the gyms. When I looked at Division II it was because we are at Rockstar and I wanted to know who the Beatles were competing against. I thought maybe Smoed was in the other division. I didn't know if they were attending but there is a CA team from Livermore competing in the SLCR5 so I thought maybe Smoed would be there and that they were in the other division. I certainly don't feel that Brandon or Rockstar are the be all and end all in the small coed division this year (because I don't know that much about all the teams) but they are two of the three teams that the cheer world seems to have high expectations from this season. I know enough about competition to know that anything can happen at any given time. I also know enough about competition to know that the teams competing in Division I are just fine with their division but the ones in Division II not so much. If my CP was competing in Division II and she wasn't on one of the two "Showdown" teams I wouldn't be at all excited about going to Cheersport this year.
If that comes across as snarky or uppity I apologize because that is not at all my intention. I changed the wording more than once to try to make my point without seeming like I thought those two teams were better than the others because I really don't know. I mean, I think the Beatles are all that and a bag of amazing chips but I'm admittedly biased. ;) I watch them practice several times a week since my CP is practicing at the same time and they have taken on one of my CP's teams as a sister team and they have been crazy supportive of them.
What I'm saying is that if Cheersport wants to have Brandon and Rockstar in the same Division for a head to head deal I'm fine with that but if this was a sport where teams were "seeded" like in football or basketball playoffs those two teams wouldn't be starting in the same bracket.
I'm definitely on the fence about it, I'm excited to see them compete against each other. I just remember when Stingray Orange was small senior and every single year them and SSX were in different divisions and I would be disappointed to not see them go against each other. Those pretty much were the top 2 teams in SS at Cheersport all those years (similar situation, not that nobody could have beat them) and I would have liked to see them in the same division. But I also agree with what you are saying that it sucks for the other teams in that division.

Back