All-Star Cheersport Scoring

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Dec 14, 2009
I may be the only one (and feel free to let me know, it won't offend me) who thinks that the scoring at Cheersport was very.....weird (for lack of a better word). There seemed to be a lot of teams that hit and still placed lower than teams that dropped/busted. I understand start values/raw scores and all that jazz, but I noticed one division where a team was in 1st day one (hit cleanly) and then day 2 had multiple bobbles at least one dropped stunt (not bobble, the flyer's foot touched the ground) there may have been two, I can't remember. That team dropped to second for finals. Other teams that hit were getting 3rd-6th even though they hit, and had less than 1 pt difference in raw score.
I also didn't understand deductions for busted tumbling. As a coach I had an athlete bust (knees hit the ground) and we got NO deduction! I don't understand. Did the judges just not see it? (which is insane) it just made me wonder how many things they missed.

Not totally unrelated: there were also A LOT of come from behind victories! One division had a team in 6th or 7th day one WIN day 2 but only move up to 5th overall.

CONGRATS TO ALL THE CHEERSPORT CHAMPIONS!!! And great job to ALL athletes and coaches!!!

CHEERSPORT's scoring is 50/50. Like I said earlier, I dislike that because placements from Day 1 rarely change even if the performances were drastically different. That team that you mentioned with multiple bobbles and a stunt fall had a high day 1 score. average the 2 and they're still in second place. The teams getting 3rd - 6th with a better day 2 may not have had a great day 1. Their bad score is weighted just as heavily as their good score.

I don't like cheersport for that reason, and plenty of people love cheersport for that exact reason. it is what it is.

PS though, I would love an explanation from CHEERSPORT as to why so many divisions had to be rejudged and recalculated. whether it was legitimate or not, after one or two divisions it starts to look really sketchy.

Exactly! It makes no sense. But I'm not an EP or rule maker/enforcer so it's up to them.

We were told over and over to not record it take pictures because the teams could lose points or get disqualified. Yet there were iPads everywhere recording. What is the deal with that?
I've heard this rule at a few other competitions I went to, and I've seen it actually enforced at only once. Do you know if teams were actually marked down for that at cheersport? Or is there really no way of telling? At the competition I went to it was clear on the scoresheet that they were marked down for people recording.

We were told over and over to not record it take pictures because the teams could lose points or get disqualified. Yet there were iPads everywhere recording. What is the deal with that?

I guess you haven't heard. If you use an iPad you are exempt from the rules. You also aren't required to have common sense or use manners. Lol

Now I know not all iPad users fit into the above, but it sure appears that the majority does.

CHEERSPORT's scoring is 50/50. Like I said earlier, I dislike that because placements from Day 1 rarely change even if the performances were drastically different. That team that you mentioned with multiple bobbles and a stunt fall had a high day 1 score. average the 2 and they're still in second place. The teams getting 3rd - 6th with a better day 2 may not have had a great day 1. Their bad score is weighted just as heavily as their good score.

I don't like cheersport for that reason, and plenty of people love cheersport for that exact reason. it is what it is.

PS though, I would love an explanation from CHEERSPORT as to why so many divisions had to be rejudged and recalculated. whether it was legitimate or not, after one or two divisions it starts to look really sketchy.

It was CHEERSPORT's first year with the Varsity scoresheet. As one scoresheet takes over cheerleading (FINALLY) scoring will get more consistent. As scoring enters a more consistent rubric I think 50/50 starts to make more sense over the long run (as opposed to reverse order second day). Reverse order is currently more accurate because it accounts of the fact placement day 1 will have error, but the better teams will be near the better teams and allow for stronger accuracy day 2. So day 2 the better teams will compare next to the better teams. But as scoring consistency and accuracy increases we will end up doing 50/50 in the future.

With the recording rule, I do think they should allow an exemption for coaches (I think they usually do). I know many coaches like to review the routine with their team and a video helps (and not the one time the team gets to see the performance right after performing). So having coaches wear their passes/lanyards/bracelets so show a coach is recording and not a parent/fan would not cause a deduction.

The only problem I have with taking off for recording is that you can't control what other gyms do. Half the iPads in the air at cheersport I garuntee you were not from the gym currently on the stage. Also what if I wanted to sabotage a team? Grab a few of my friends and obnoxiously hold iPads up during my competitors performance and bam deduction. Especially at cheersport there was just to many people to tell what gym they were from and that could cause some unfair deductions.

I know i'm probably in the minority here - especially based on the fact that there were over 900 teams there - but i am NOT a fan of cheersport.....never have and never will be. never understand the scoring and never agree with the placements. and it's so big and overwhelming & EXHAUSTING!!
just my opinion here but is there such a thing as being too big???

I know i'm probably in the minority here - especially based on the fact that there were over 900 teams there - but i am NOT a fan of cheersport.....never have and never will be. never understand the scoring and never agree with the placements. and it's so big and overwhelming & EXHAUSTING!!
just my opinion here but is there such a thing as being too big???
If it can't be controlled, or quality starts to slide, then yes.

NCA is just as big (maybe even bigger this year) as Cheersport. And their scoring is on the Varsity scoresheet now, so I'm not sure what the discrepancy is. I kind of like the 50/50 because it demands consistency to some extent rather than day 1 being a "warm up" performance and then day 2 being worth the lion's share of the weekend. I think Cheersport is very well run and organized, NCA as well. They are both huge events run a little differently, but I think the MAIN difference isn't the scoresheet or rubric, it's the 50/50. And I am not opposed to that. I know there were teams that were in 7th or even below on day 1 and came back to win or at least place top 3 in the end, so the theory that 50/50 allows for little movement doesn't seem accurate for the most part. Just my opinion, but I think the past couple of years, Cheersport's scoring and placements have been less confusing than years prior to that. I agree with King that we do need a universal scoresheet and grip and daily percentages though. There will always be complaints, gripes, whining and crying over "these placements are just not right, etc." But I think for the most part, most companies are getting it right. JMO though....

I thought there were issues with the scoring for many of the divisions and I know for a fact there were teams scored in the wrong difficulty category. I dont think it was the scoresheet but wonder if perhaps some divisions had more qualified/experienced judges than others. I imagine you need a LOT of judges for a competition of that magnitude and wonder if there are enough judges out there with the level of training and experience needed to judge a competition of this level.
I posted after last year that I thought CHEERSPORT had gotten too big. Half of the convention center looked like refugee camps with air matresses, camp chairs and food and trash everywhere. You couldnt move in the arenas during the level 5 teams to the point it was dangerous in some situations. I cant imagine safe evacuation would have been possible in the event of an emergency. CHEERSPORT does an amazing job of keeping things running on time, giving the athletes great prizes, they make awards ceremonies special and quick, and overall do a LOT of things right, but I do think they need to make some adjustments if they are going to continue to grow.

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk 2

This really isn't related to the subject at hand, but I LOVE how Cheersport posts results as the day progresses - if anyone else does that, I'm not aware of it. I was able to find out how my daughter's former teammates did without bothering parents at a comp and asking how they did after they potentially may have bombed.

I think the issue with judging in general is that currently the best judges (because of different scoresheets and different companies having exclusivity with judges) are the ones who coach teams. Well... At the two biggest events in the cheer world if all the coaches who are good judges brought their teams... Who is left to judge?

But at some point soon I see rules and judges being taken over completely by USASF. Then competition companies will hire officiating crews.

Back