All-Star Classiest Gyms?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I still fail to see why we've deemed cheering when second place is called "low class". Is there ANY other sport that considers acknowledging a win "distasteful"?

In football, teams rush the field the moment the game is over. Olympic swimmers cheer the second they touch the wall. Gymnasts get excited and start hugging their coaches and teammates as soon as their competitor's scores are announced. Hockey teams leave the bench and tackle each other on the ice when the final buzzer goes off.

It is a very typical practice in athletics. Why is it considered tacky when cheering?

The only time I consider it tacky is when year after year one program, friends and fans criticizes other programs for not waiting till first is called so they could celebrate their 3rd or 2nd place finish, but when they win they "forget" and are "caught up in the moment" about what they have been so critical at others about. Yet when others did it there were complaints. If you don't like it when others do it to you, don't do it to others.

Perhaps if a team that has gone thru much adversity and was not expected to be in the top 5 let alone top three, they would want to celebrate that accomplishment even if it it is not first place. To that team that placement is special to them even if it is not special to others. You have no idea how the coaches built the athletes and parents up for the event. To that team 2nd place may be as impressive and important to them as 1st and they would like to be able celebrate that accomplishment with their friends and fans. Pushing them (figuratively speaking only) off to the side so we can celebrate first place - even though unintentional sends the signal that 2nd place don't matter.

Top Gun, definitely! Me and my friend are huge Top Gun fans, so when we found out they were at the same competition as us, we searched the convention center to get a picture with some of their cheerleaders. When we were walking out of the convention center on Day 1, we saw the whole Lady Jags team sitting near the exit after stretching, and we asked one of them to take a picture with us. As soon as we asked, the whole team jumped up and took a picture with us. We were soo happy and they were so nice!

I would also like to add Xtreme Cheer CT. I remember a few years back at a local competition, my old gym was watching our youth girls perform and several of them came and supported them with us.

The classiest gyms I have ever seen are Layton Athletics and Twist & Shout. Layton was amazing at CSG Chicago last year the whole gym was cheering for our gym, their older athletes were amazing with our little people. Twist & Shout stopped to take pictures with my daughter and got her name and promised her they would find her on facebook and most of them did.

Spirit of Texas for sure. Not only do they display good sportsmanship, but a humble attitude and friendliness as well. When I visited them, the owner took time out to talk to us for a good hour, as well as some parents. It was so awesome!

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android || Upgrade Your Account!

not a part of the teal army (not a hater either, im just sure its no surprise im more of a stars fan) but ive had great experiences with CEA. ive always found their athletes to be so respectful, nice and especially humble. SE have won worlds 3 times but i have never seen them try to put themselves above others. a moment that stands out is when at worlds they announced 2nd place (ya that was fun :rolleyes:) and many girls on CEA thought (and said) that they had gotten 4th instead of first. this may not seem "classy" to everyone but i thought it was extremely humbling to see that they were reigning world champs but still did not go in putting themselves above their competitors

not a part of the teal army (not a hater either, im just sure its no surprise im more of a stars fan) but ive had great experiences with CEA. ive always found their athletes to be so respectful, nice and especially humble. SE have won worlds 3 times but i have never seen them try to put themselves above others. a moment that stands out is when at worlds they announced 2nd place and many girls on CEA thought (and said) that they had gotten 4th instead of first. this may not seem "classy" to everyone but i thought it was extremely humbling to see that they were reigning world champs but still did not go in putting themselves above their competitors

This!

Cheer Extreme all the way... when I came over to USA with my squad BCA Allstars from the UK we had no supporters and the whole Cheer Extreme program and parents at the event were sat front and center cheering us on. It was so lovely. The girls were supper sweet and supportive. - J x

I definitely want to add Brandon. I cheered for a smaller gym in the Tampa area and we were kind of a "little sister" gym. A lot of athletes often cheer for us and the coaches are always supportive! I even sat in their section for worlds and they were cheering on everyone!

Last edited:
Brandon and Stingrays are beyond classy and set a precedent for the whole industry, in my opinion. I'd also say MD Twisters, Cheer Athletics and Cali as well.
There are some gyms being mentioned that are actually really surprising to me. I haven't had many bad experiences with other gyms, but there is one where I saw the coach walk out of Awards at Worlds because he didn't think his team would do well. He found out they won on his way to the parking lot and had to run all the way back to the Milk House. That's the definition of unsportsmanlike conduct in my opinion.

I definitely want to add Brandon. I cheered for a smaller gym in the Brandon area and we were kind of a "little sister" gym. A lot of athletes often cheer for us and the coaches are always supportive! I even sat in their section for worlds and they were cheering on everyone!

Brought a smile to my face! Thank you so much!

Brandon and Stingrays are beyond classy and set a precedent for the whole industry, in my opinion. I'd also say MD Twisters, Cheer Athletics and Cali as well.
There are some gyms being mentioned that are actually really surprising to me. I haven't had many bad experiences with other gyms, but there is one where I saw the coach walk out of Awards at Worlds because he didn't think his team would do well. He found out they won on his way to the parking lot and had to run all the way back to the Milk House. That's the definition of unsportsmanlike conduct in my opinion.
I look forward to chatting longer than running to and from warm-ups this season. So glad we finally got to meet and thank you for your kind words! Your program has great coaches and super nice kids. I saw them acting a fool with our kids at awards!!!

Back