College Club Cheer Teams

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

flcheermom

Cheer Parent
Dec 14, 2009
I know a few schools have club cheer teams that participate in competitions. They aren't officially affiliated with the college in terms of cheering for the sports teams at games, but a club that can compete at comps. If anyone is familiar with the steps involved, or any info on starting one, please let me know :) I have somewhat read the rules on how to start (helping my daughter, and some other girls, who may be interested) - but its a little confusing, so if anyone has first hand knowledge to help, I would appreciate it! Thanks!

The school probably has rules about starting a club so I would look for information from the office of student activities or something like that.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

Va Tech, James Madison Univ & NC State all have club cheer teams that compete nationally (to name a few). Try to reach out to their club organizers if you simply want info about competing at the college level. As stated in previous reply, it's best to contact the school directly to inquire about starting a club sport.

Lee Franconia Cheer

Ok thanks- there is info about starting clubs I just didn't know how the clubs operated - if the girls coached themselves -or if they have to get a coach - and paying for things- which I think is done thru sponsors? I know university of Florida also has one - I didn't know how willing other schools would be about giving out how they operate, but can try to contact them :)

My daughter is switching schools in the fall - and going to a school that only has coed team for cheer - she is all girl - so looking at possibilities to continue cheer in some capacity or look at something else

Ok thanks- there is info about starting clubs I just didn't know how the clubs operated - if the girls coached themselves -or if they have to get a coach - and paying for things- which I think is done thru sponsors? I know university of Florida also has one - I didn't know how willing other schools would be about giving out how they operate, but can try to contact them :)

A girl I used to cheer with is on one at UW-Madison, but I'm not sure how competitive they are since most Wisconsin Universities that compete are coed and there are very few that do. If I remember correctly from what she said, they coach themselves, but they have to have a president, Vice President and all that because the school requires all student orgs to have one.

We looked into becoming a club at our school to avoid the requirements the marketing department (which we were under) wanted us to do.

We could get some money from office in charge of all RSOs (registered student organization) but it wouldn't have been nearly enough to pay for a coach - for us anyway. We'd have to buy or pay for nearly everything. But ultimately that's something that would vary at each school.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I've always been told that if its a club then you have to let anyone join that wants to. No tryouts, no cuts. Could be a bad thing, but then again not sure if its an actual rule or just rumor.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I've always been told that if its a club then you have to let anyone join that wants to. No tryouts, no cuts. Could be a bad thing, but then again not sure if its an actual rule or just rumor.
It's different at every school. I know some schools will have an A and B team... A competes B just cheers games. We have a dance team at my school now (club) that makes cuts. It just depends on how many people try out. So every school would have its own rules.

It's different at every school. I know some schools will have an A and B team... A competes B just cheers games. We have a dance team at my school now (club) that makes cuts. It just depends on how many people try out. So every school would have its own rules.

Our dance team is the same. They used to be under athletics and then they got cut from that and became a student org. They have tryouts and make cuts.

I have looked at university of Florida's website - to get an idea - and they have tryouts - they compete at a few comps it looks like. I just don't have any idea how anything operates - to give her an idea, I know there are quite a few ex all star girls that are at the school, that are all girl - I know my daughter would be interested in trying to still do something cheer related if she could, as she can't do the coed college team. I will just tell her to contact a few of them and see what the interest is, and maybe they can figure out what to do, and approach who they need to at the school. Thanks for the info :)

U of Illinois has an all-girl club team. My assumption is that the rules for clubs are going to vary by school. I am sure that there is no universal rule about whether cuts are allowed. If a school has that rule, it's their own.

A lot of college hockey teams are clubs too. My son's college hockey team is officially a club, but they compete as a D3 team.

My friend/former backspot from all stars is on the club team at UF! There's about 27 girls including her on the team. FSU has a club team too (Garnet Girls) that one of the girls that was on our varsity team in high school is on and they have 11 girls. I don't know how clubs work there but here at FGCU anyone can join any club at any time and they don't have to try out.

Last edited:
Your daughter's college will likely have info about how club leaders are determined. Most club sports get no school funding, rely on fundraising, may not have a certified coach, and do not get priority (if allowed at all) with gym/facility use. That's where some keen networking skills will be handy to secure gym space (local rec ctr or nearby allstar gym is suggested). Also, once formed, reaching out to the varsity coach won't hurt. While completely separate, it's always good to have an ally, and the moral support of the varsity coach/athletes.

Lee Franconia Cheer

Ohio State also has one, I think. But keep in mind, college club cheer squads are not allowed to compete at the UCA College Nationals. But they are allowed to compete in the NCA, CheerSport, USA, and several other organizations.

Back