All-Star Cnn Cea Youtbe Link

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I didn't get a chance to watch it before everyone blew up, but once I did watch it, I didn't understand the drama. The focus of the story was all-star cheerleading and Maddie. If she answered the questions with "we" or "us" instead of "I", it would have sounded silly.

I'm very, very happy with this piece and ecstatic that something so positive ended up on prime time television. Whether you're a member of the "teal army" or not, you have to admit that Maddie is an incredible ambassador for what we do. That's not to say that there aren't other girls or boys out there who could have been a great focus as well, but I'm very thankful that someone well rounded, intelligent, and with such poise was chosen as the focal point of the story. She made us all look good.
I couldn't agree more!!!

I can tell you, as we sat last night and were notified about the tweets and posts, a lot of you are saying exactly what I wanted to say for her to you all. I appreciate your support deeply, and I'm going to have Maddie read this thread so she will understand. She did her very best, and add to the things some of you have so eloquently noted, CNN was rigth in front of her all during worlds. She had a pretty good idea this whole thing was going to show up on TV, and a perfectionist was not perfect for everyone to see. Thanks for your support. This on a whole is a good community, probably the best in the cheer world, and again, thanks.

I can tell you, as we sat last night and were notified about the tweets and posts, a lot of you are saying exactly what I wanted to say for her to you all. I appreciate your support deeply, and I'm going to have Maddie read this thread so she will understand. She did her very best, and add to the things some of you have so eloquently noted, CNN was rigth in front of her all during worlds. She had a pretty good idea this whole thing was going to show up on TV, and a perfectionist was not perfect for everyone to see. Thanks for your support. This on a whole is a good community, probably the best in the cheer world, and again, thanks.
She handled herself VERY well! I'm sure you are really proud of her! :D

She handled herself VERY well! I'm sure you are really proud of her! :D
As a mom of a young competitve cheerleader I can only hope and pray if she ever gets to that point she will handle herself with the poise and grace that Maddie did! <3 <3 She is a great role model to girls everywhere.

I just watched the piece. I have not read (and do not know) any of the drama surrounding the piece. I thought CNN did an amazing job conveying exactly what this sport means to so many of us. We've all had injuries we've had to work through, all given up things for practice, and all know the agony of defeat. They chose to show all these things through the eyes of one person. But that one person's view is meant to represent all of us. This was finally what we've all been asking for. Someone did a show on the sport we love, and didn't tear us up or rip us apart. They called us a sport and showed our passion, dedication and hard work.

If you stop looking at it as the "Maddie Show" and look at it as a view of what we do through the eyes of one of us, it's really a very special piece. The thing I got from everything, is something I've always known. We are no different from any other sport. Our athletes are just like every other athlete. Passionate, driven and full of heart.
Well said!!

You'll have to ask CNN. I will tell you that in interviews they talked to Maddie about her relationships with her team, the coaching staff, other gyms, Varsity and just about everything. They decided not to use any of those answers. And again you'll have to ask CNN. I do not think they interviewed anyone else on SE, I know they did Raleigh and I believe Stingrays, but I know nothing about the Raleigh or Stingray filming and interviews.

Now, who outside of cheer world really cares about cheer? Well, I can tell you from the response we are getting at home, many, many more. That was the point of the documentary I believe. She was interviewed for hours at a time, the car riding interview for instance was over an hour and they used 5 seconds. They were in our home for 6 hours and used 15 seconds. If it ever happens to any of you, get ready to be deposed like a witness for a trial. No kidding.

That said, thanks to all that seem to understand. WE, Maddie included, appreciate your kind words and support. And to the others, it's fine to take a different perspective and opinion. No harm, no hurt feelings. Fire away, as King states, this is a discussion board.
Ya'll are really Good people!!!! I don't know any of you at all, but I still think after all, Maddie is a kid, and she is human!!! Kudos to CEA for an awesome showing this past season, I love watching ya'll come onto the floor, I at one time or another have coached a handful ot the SE kids..:cheering: Thanks again, and Cheers!!!!!

ahh, touche (about making the star).

And, for the record, I hate wishing other people luck before a comp while your team walks by theirs. It feels very contrived (aka forced) and looks like bad sportsmanship if you don't do it while you walk by someone. When I was competing so many times I was more focussed on myself and what I had to do the world around me disappears. So, in short, not wishing someone good luck before they compete is NOT bad karma or selfish! Save it for the times you really mean it and it will count for more.
Amen!!!!!!!!!!

When the narration was added, I assume at the end of the process, the narrator always uses first person possesive terms. Maddie's team, not SE. Maddie's stunt. Maddie never uses these terms, but I cringed when they did that. It gives the impression of "I instead of we" and when added to the answers given in one on one interviews I can see how other cheerleaders would react negatively. It is just how CNN put it together. We would have preferred "Senior Elite" instead of "Maddie's team" but nobody asked us our opinion. We saw it for the first time with everyone else. Just an unfortunate consequence of those important words someone else noted. Hate to beat a dead horse here and I think the thread has been very good, but on some level, she is getting criticised for something she had no input or control over. Especially by other athletes.
I really wish that people would get that!!!!!:banghead: Come on everyone, it's CNN!! a teenager has no control over what is put on the show...It was still a good piece nevertheless! Anyone that has read all of these comments from today and yesterday should realize that MG has no control over what airs, and what doesn't...Yikes!!!

Maddie Gardner is someone to look up to. Any teenager who can handle themselves with that much grace on NATIONAL television after everything she went through, is simply amazing. I can't wait to see her fight her way back to the top yet again, as we all know she can and will. Haters are usually jealous, and with good reason. I dont see to many people at worlds doing a 360 ball up tick tock ;) I hope after everything she has gone through, she realizes that not only the teal army is still there to back her up, but she gained a whole new set of admirers after that CNN special, my older cousin watched it with me, and couldnt believe Maddie was still in high school and how well spoken she was. As for the segment, i think it covered our sport better than we could have hoped. I mean how many cheer segments have we all seen on the sidelines about injuries and makeup? It's good to see something positive for a change, espeically on a huge network like CNN.

I loved watching Courtney coaching from the chair lol! She's an excellent leader and has built a great program.

I thought the show was terrific. Jealousy will always bring out the naysayers to find something wrong with anything like this. Some dislike others getting attention. Some dislike others having success. Some dislike others being confident. My mama would say "people will be jealous of you and you will be jealous of others, handle yourself with class in both cases". My mama is so smart!

Back