OT Coach Vs Captain

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic
Nov 18, 2010
So, I'm having some problems with the captain of the team I'm coaching.

The head coach asked me at the beginning of the season to help out, and I've basically been doing her job for her since September because she was a dancer, and not a cheerleader--and has no idea what's needed to hit a collegiate scoresheet. The captain, who started the squad four years ago, is quite annoyed with me right now. She's mad at me because, she asked last practice if we could work on our second stunt since the first wasn't hitting. They're the same stunt, with different body positions, and I told her no because there's no difference. If they're not hitting this, they won't hit the second, and we need to hit this stunt, because we never stick it out until we do. We always move on. She kept arguing with me in front of the team, and left crying because I'm "overriding her authority."

Since practice two nights ago, it's come out that she never even wanted me to coach (which isn't true because she asked me as well) and she's mad because "it's her team, no one would be there without her" and because she wanted to do choreography and I did it instead.

I'm meeting with her tonight before practice to talk. I need her to understand the difference between captain and coach.

So my questions is, what should the difference be?

I´m really confused by the "overriding her authority"-thing.

I think (and this is how it works at our gym), the authority line should be
Owner/Head Coach - Coach - (Assistant Coach) - Captain

The captain(s) should be the coaches voice out there, they have to be a role model and prevent drama, help new girls bonding etc.

I guess the fact that she startet the team is an issue, so she thinks it´s her team and she should have the last word, do the choreo, say what will be done at practise.
If that was so, you don´t need a coach.

Ask her what she thinks is the job of a cheer coach and what is the job of a cheer captain.

Just my opinion, but i never experienced a team where the captain has more to say than the coach(es).

I believe a captain can give ideas to you and influence decisions, but you have the legitimate decision. What you say, goes. Captains are supposed to help motivate the team in hope for the team to be more successful, what she is doing now is definitely not motivating the team.

GreenStorm Her starting the team is why she believes that. The first year, they didn't have a coach and practices in hallways. They've only cheered at basketball games until this year, when they decided they wanted to compete. She has ALWAYS been a captain, there has been no the team choosing it, and to me, that's one of my biggest issues. As far as the "over-riding authority"--she went behind my back and got the head coach to register us for a competition next weekend, when I told her we wouldn't be ready (we lost 3 people over break and I had to reset formations and change groups).

FullUpFierce I agree--I'm more upset about the fact that she's questioning me and my decisions in front of the team. She also sent a text out to two girls on the team (instead of all 16 members) apologizing for walking out and she just couldn't be around me anymore. That apology needs to go to everyone, and it shouldn't have anything to do with why she did it.

I just don't know what to do anymore. Because if I stop helping out, I'm letting the team down, and they've all told me they would be really hurt if I stopped because of this. But I'm done having my abilities questioned.

I'll just say your nicer than me. No athlete, at anytime should ever cross the line when talking to a coach, ever. No your role and make hers clear to her. I think things are a bit different in college but at the end of the day respect both ways is important.

Try to talk to her - but your side of the story doesn't sound as if it could get better by "putting her in her place".

Don't give up. You are the coach, most of the team members want you to be their coach, so show them that everyone needs to respect you and your decisions. Especially the captain.
It will be hard, but if you think it is worth it, you will be able to handle it.

And for next season:
Isn't it common that captains are voted by the team or, how i think it runs, been set by the coaches? Like the coaches pick out the most valuable, skillwise cheerleaders, the girls that can be role models and support the coaches?

Don't let her take this spot again so easy. It's not good for teenagers (sorry, not sure about the age of your captain) behaviour and character if they feel they don't need to work or put effort in something.

I'll just say your nicer than me. No athlete, at anytime should ever cross the line when talking to a coach, ever. No your role and make hers clear to her. I think things are a bit different in college but at the end of the day respect both ways is important.
Know* brain was faster than fingers

Perhaps after having the chat with the captain, reinforce what you said to the whole team in the nicest way as possible so they know what happened. Explain why you did so, including that this will help you move on and grow as a team. The captain needs to learn to trust you and it looks like you know what you are doing. Good Luck :)

yojaehs - Thanks. I'm just trying to balance the friendship/coach thing, and it's beyond hard. She really is one of my good friends (or was...this may have been the end of that...lol). I respect what she does, and the upbeat, positivity and sweetness she brings, and she's got the sideline cheer thing down, but this is the competition squad. I don't work with game squad (except every now and then when I swing by for fun--which has been like 4 times all year. I would never tell her how to make up a chant, or how to do a time out, but when it comes to the competitive part, and the actual knowledge of the skills we're doing, I do know what I'm talking about.

GreenStorm - I've seen a mix of the squad voting and the coach "nominating" captains. She was only captain because she founded the squad. There was never a vote or anything--it was just "she's in charge because she is." This is her last year, so she can't be captain again, but she just chose the new captains, and I'm irked that that was just a decision made by her and the head coach (which, I think they would have gotten it either way--one of them I know for sure would have, and I'm pretty positive the other would have too, but regardless....I think it needs to be a team decision). Thanks for your help!

FullUpFierce I've been thinking about that too-- but I honestly don't think I need to. The team (they have their moments) truly trusts my decisions and the way I work--and when I told them I was thinking about just being done because I'm sick of the sh*t from the captain, they all got really upset and told me they wanted me there. One girl even told me she wouldn't have done it this year if I wouldn't have helped coach. The captain is really the only problem. But thanks for that last line...I kind of needed to hear (see?) that...

It's even harder though, because I AM friends with her outside of this. But when it comes to cheerleading, I can't talk to her anymore. She's got a good heart (mostly) and is beyond enthusiastic about this, but she doesn't have near the experience that I do.

She keeps going on about how much she has--she cheered all star, on a level 3 team a few years. I've been cheering all star for 8 years (7 of those years were as a true level 5 cheerleader), and coaching it for almost 5. Some of the things that she's said about putting in our routines (and things she puts in the routines for the game squad) are ridiculous--a few months ago, she asked me why I couldn't have one flyer fly on the wrong leg. Just a few weeks ago at Indy (after watching team after team do that prone drop dismount) if we could do that in our stunts instead of the full up......she asked if we could do a dismount in place of an entry. It just blew my mind that she thought it would work...and when I tell her we can't do those things, she gets upset because "she has no say in what we do." I just can't deal anymore. haha

Back