High School Coaches Belittling Athletes

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Apr 16, 2012
Okay, I really do not know how to handle what is going on right now with this.. I've known my coach my entire life, and she's the reason why I started to cheer, and why i kept cheering this year. But lately, we went from texting and talking about cheer and new ideas to she will text me yelling at me. when i bring up a new idea or an event i found that i think we should do this season or next she gets mad at me. I work really hard, and try my hardest and she acts like I'm the least dedicated and that I never try and I'm not good. I just don't know how to handle how she treats me, or how to make it stop..
To be honest, I already have low self esteem and because of her treating me this way and telling me i have no muscle in my legs etc, I have never felt worse about myself. I feel bullied by someone I trusted a lot. It makes me despise the sport i was once in love with.

Talk to her. Ask your AD to sit in on the talk if necessary. But the only way to get to the bottom of it is to talk to her. There may be more going on on her end that you are unaware of or it's simply miscommunication. I coach and have had my girls ask me something over text and they take it the wrong way.
Also since you have known her your whole life, she may be trying to create a distance if, by chance, any of the other girls etc. think she's playing favorites. Unfortunately, I've been there too.
Honestly, she probably means no harm and feels that she is trying to help you improve not tear you down. Talk to her, let her know how you feel, and then discuss what you can each do to improve your communication from this point on.

Wow I am so sorry you feel this way. The first thing you can do is prove this lady wrong and practice your butt off! Second thing you can do is tell her how you feel and tell her you don't deserve it. Third thing you can do is stop giving her all these ideas and let her be the coach you be the cheerleader and practice your butt off.

Sorry to hear about what has happened, and especially the way it is making you feel. However, I see two way in which you can look and your coache's actions as positive instead of negative.
1. This is someone you know and trust who got you into cheering, maybe she is just going through something, and clearly not being herself. Not saying that her actions are right, but maybe she deserves the beneift of the doubt.
2. She really cares about you and feels that she needs to push you to your full potential. Most times, the truth does hurt and does take some getting used to. So take it with a grain of salt and see it as coming from someone that cares.
I think changing the way you are taking her remarks, will make you feel better. If I am wrong and this is not the case, then schedule a meeting with her and the AD and let her know how she is making you feel. You should probably do this anyway. This will hopefully stop the comments, or she will give you an explaination as to her actions. She may honestly not realize that she is hurting your feelings.
Good luck! and trust in yourself. I know it is easier said than done, but you must have a different outlook. You are a hard and dedicated worker and no comment/statement can change that, so hold your head up and be proud of yourself.

Back