All-Star Coaches Certification

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

alpaca

Cheer Parent
Apr 21, 2017
Is there any database where you can search a coaches name to se if they have completed usaf training?

Is there any database where you can search a coaches name to se if they have completed usaf training?
Yes, NFHS web site has a search section where you type in name and state of the individual you are looking for and their certifications will pop up

Yes, NFHS web site has a search section where you type in name and state of the individual you are looking for and their certifications will pop up

Is this high school? Sorry, I should have clarified. I was thinking about All Star.

Yes... however you should be able to search Allstar as well as long as you have an account with USASF, it should be under the coaches profile -

The USASF Member site is in the process of being completely redone, so it's not the most usable right now. I don't remember there being a search functionality though?

The USASF Member site is in the process of being completely redone, so it's not the most usable right now. I don't remember there being a search functionality though?

That's disappointing if you can't search to make sure that coaches are certified. From a parent's perspective, if there are options of which gym to choose, the coaches level of training or lack thereof could play a part in decision making.

That's disappointing if you can't search to make sure that coaches are certified. From a parent's perspective, if there are options of which gym to choose, the coaches level of training or lack thereof could play a part in decision making.

Until there are some major changes to the certification requirements and process of becoming certified, searching for coaches credentials is pretty much just looking to see who paid $250 to say they are certified and who just paid the $30 to be considered a memeber. Maybe with the updating of the system online they will start to revamp the process of actually becoming credentialed.

Until there are some major changes to the certification requirements and process of becoming certified, searching for coaches credentials is pretty much just looking to see who paid $250 to say they are certified and who just paid the $30 to be considered a memeber. Maybe with the updating of the system online they will start to revamp the process of actually becoming credentialed.

While I agree with this to a certain extent, I would also say that at least the coaches that have gone through the process of actually getting credentialed have to have basic understanding (at least, see caveat below) of the levels they are credentialing for.

Caveat - Depending on the proctor you get when taking the 'hands-on' portion of the process, you can get completely DRILLED about every single skill you're explaining or you can pass with basic explanations. I think this is the biggest downfall of the entire process and needs some serious standardization.

While the process needs some work and definitely some standardization, I'd rather be positive that a coach at least knows the basics of their levels and didn't just pay $30 like the athletes do...

I am credentialed to level 5 in all areas, I also know I know what I'm talking about, however....

There are coaches that get certified to the max and still can't teach a level 1 skill. Credentialing wouldn't be the only thing I'd look for. Check for people who have concussion courses. In Canada we have a Respect in Sport course that is great. Also look for coaches who actively seek out educational opportunities (conferences, camps, etc). ACCAA is also good, NCCP if you're in Canada.

IMO, a coach who doesn't actively seek to improve their knowledge on a regular basis is doing themselves and their athletes a disservice. Things change all the time and being complacent is no good when it comes to teaching the things that cheerleading coaches do.

Do you have to pass a background check to get certified?

Membership, Background Check, and Credentials are all three separate things. You must be a member and have GreenLight status on your background check in order to get into the warmup room for any USASF sanctioned events. Worlds is the only event that currently requires credentials in order to access the warm up room. So while all are needed to access worlds as a coach, they are not specifially hand in hand. So I guess ultimately you could have credentials without having a background check and work within a gym, just would't do you much good at a competition to have credentials but not have a background check. Without going into too many details, as it is the business of those a part of that program and none of mine, there is a program in our area in which a memeber is credentialed but is unable to obtain GreenLight status on a background check.

While I agree with this to a certain extent, I would also say that at least the coaches that have gone through the process of actually getting credentialed have to have basic understanding (at least, see caveat below) of the levels they are credentialing for.

Caveat - Depending on the proctor you get when taking the 'hands-on' portion of the process, you can get completely DRILLED about every single skill you're explaining or you can pass with basic explanations. I think this is the biggest downfall of the entire process and needs some serious standardization.

While the process needs some work and definitely some standardization, I'd rather be positive that a coach at least knows the basics of their levels and didn't just pay $30 like the athletes do...

I had my hands-on test this weekend and the proctor said that they're trying to standardize it. So that you can't get a proctor who either asks you only super basic questions or one who asks you to teach only the trickiest skills in each level.

Level 1 was by far the hardest and level 5 the easiest, in my opinion - I'm an assistant coach on a level 6 team so I don't get much exposure to the lower levels. But I did do a lot of prep before my practical exam, so I know a lot more than I did last season when I just paid $30.

This is true. I was really surprised to learn that a local gym has absolutely no certified coaches, not even the program director.

Our owner paid for all our coaches to get certified. I remember I went with my best friend to the hotel where the proctor was at. I was sitting in the lobby area watching TV. And way across the hotel I got to see her asking him tons of questions and him demonstrating them. It was kind of cool to watch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I started to post about this yesterday. Things you learn even after being in cheer for a decade - I always had the "must be certified" philosophy myself, but not in this world. It is expensive to become certified, and some small gyms will not pay for their coaches to become certified, and some great coaches just don't have the means to complete the training. Most importantly, the certification process is flawed and really does not ensure that coach has the ability to spot safely. I know coaches who are not certified but I trust them implicitly to spot my child. The opposite holds true as well.

Back