All-Star Coaches Certification

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I understand what you are saying. In my field I know of people that are not licensed that I would trust to do the job over people that are licensed. (Hi, I'm Dr. Nick)

With that said, if you were a parent looking at gyms. And one gym just sent all of their coaches to certify/re-certify. And a competing gym didn't send anyone, and the regional conference was within driving distance wouldn't that tell you something?

Far fetched? Not at all, its a real life example of 2 gyms in my area and its what made me start thinking of this issue. That gym without the certification? They've had some injuries in the past year that they were unprepared to deal with. Perhaps if all the coaches had participated in safety training, at least one person would have been prepared.
I can certainly see the other side too, but a certification is definitely not a catch-all, and shouldn't be trusted inherently. I think that in looking at a new gym/instructor, word of mouth, observation, and track record are far more important than whether or not someone is certified.

Others have said much the same, but any certification, license, degree, etc is not indicative of more knowledge or higher level of preparation by itself. But it does show a level of effort and intent.
I can most definitely see from a legal standpoint why certification would be valuable to a gym. It's also valuable to a fledgling coach still learning the ropes, and even to a veteran coach to help convince new parents that they know what they're doing. I think the last point I listed is the one I see most however, and doesn't always make sense.

Training/certification won't guarantee that someone is a better coach than someone who isn't certified, but in the case of an injury and someone getting sued, the first thing lawyers will look at is if someone is certified or not. Cover your butt and get certified if you're a coach
Valid, but a good legal team would point out that anyone with $250 could get credentialed.

I understand what you are saying. In my field I know of people that are not licensed that I would trust to do the job over people that are licensed. (Hi, I'm Dr. Nick)

With that said, if you were a parent looking at gyms. And one gym just sent all of their coaches to certify/re-certify. And a competing gym didn't send anyone, and the regional conference was within driving distance wouldn't that tell you something?

Far fetched? Not at all, its a real life example of 2 gyms in my area and its what made me start thinking of this issue. That gym without the certification? They've had some injuries in the past year that they were unprepared to deal with. Perhaps if all the coaches had participated in safety training, at least one person would have been prepared.
I'm sure there is a counterexample somewhere as well though. If there was a very successful gym with no credentialing, and a gym that never placed in the top 50%, but was credentialed, would you choose the credentialed gym using that criteria alone?

Valid, but a good legal team would point out that anyone with $250 could get credentialed.

Sure, and credentiallong won't guarantee that you're suitable/ready to coach. But no matter how good you are, a lawyer will show that you are negligent in not getting the certification suggested/required for the sport. You have no chance without certification. You may still lose with it, but it's a start to showing that you were not being negligent

Last edited:
I feel where I live right now everyone wants to "Start an AllStar Team"... One in particular has 10-12 kids who no longer cheer in the school program and have a team that wants to be 4.2.... no gym, not sure where they are practicing, who is training, but it is mom's coaching and I would HOPE they at least have gone to the regional USASF conference for education and also are taking the steps to be credentialed. I do feel from what I hear, it is lack of education on their part and the mindset that anyone can do it, but not in these days of all star cheer. It is so much more involved then "I want to start a team". There are so many programs in the area, some large, some small, that those 10-12 kids could have found a safe home and possibly the coaches could have also coached there... However, now that I am off of my soap box, some form of credentialing is important, can't weed out everyone but at least there is hope of something absorbing.

Last edited:
Sure, and credentiallong won't guarantee that you're suitable/ready to coach. But no matter how good you are, a lawyer will show that you are negligent in not getting the certification suggested/required for the sport. You have no chance without certification. You may still lose with it, but it's a start to showing that you were not being negligent

Agreed. My gym owners have been through a lawsuit (dismissed) and won't let any coaches open the gym if they haven't been credentialed (which is just me). My gym owner has made it clear that until I'm level 6 credentialed or AACCA, he won't leave me in the gym alone with my team. They won't risk it. We all know the credentialing doesn't mean all that much, but it's the first thing a lawyer is going to go after.

Last edited:
I feel where I live right now everyone wants to "Start an AllStar Team"... One in particular has 10-12 kids who no longer cheer in the school program and have a team that wants to be 4.2.... no gym, not sure where they are practicing, who is training, but it is mom's coaching and I would HOPE they at least have gone to the regional USASF conference for education and also are taking the steps to be credentialed. I do feel from what I hear, it is lack of education on their part and the mindset that anyone can do it, but not in these days of all star cheer. It is so much more involved then "I want to start a team". There are so many programs in the area, some large, some small, that those 10-12 kids could have found a safe home and possibly the coaches could have also coached there... However, now that I am off of my soap box, some form of credentialing is important, can't weed out everyone but at least there is hope of something absorbing.
Yes, this! There is a "gym" near here with just an open 4 team that practices in a public park. The coaches are not credentialed at all. That team is a disaster waiting to happen when someone gets hurt!

Yes, this! There is a "gym" near here with just an open 4 team that practices in a public park. The coaches are not credentialed at all. That team is a disaster waiting to happen when someone gets hurt!

There is another one here who has an "All Star Cheer Camp" who practiced in a local park this summer and apparently has a facility now, as another team has a new home, but I just can't see this ending well. The program that moved out didn't have the numbers to maintain using the facility, I absolutely can not imagine this one will too.

I can certainly see the other side too, but a certification is definitely not a catch-all, and shouldn't be trusted inherently. I think that in looking at a new gym/instructor, word of mouth, observation, and track record are far more important than whether or not someone is certified.

As a parent, I will agree with this. When my oldest began AS I didn't look for certification, I listened and watched. With that said, @WinstonsGirl is correct, that certification's greatest worth is in a courtroom. It isn't an indicator of great coaches, but it is an indicator that an effort was made to train them. I don't know of a single person that has ever hunted down that safety certificate that always seems to be filed in the "maintenance office" instead of that little frame in the elevator. But, if there's a malfunction and someone gets hurt, the lawyers sure will.

Back