College Coaches Who Don't Know What They're Doing

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Nov 26, 2010
Does anyone else have the problem that their coaches don't know what they're doing? For example, my coaches told us that we don't have to swing twice in a double toe touch. that you can kind of just pop your legs back up there. We're in college, they should know how to do a double toe touch.

I have seen the same problem. In my case they just did not know the proper way, once corrected and explained why what they were doing was not as effective, they taught the skill the correct way.

Does anyone else have the problem that their coaches don't know what they're doing? For example, my coaches told us that we don't have to swing twice in a double toe touch. that you can kind of just pop your legs back up there. We're in college, they should know how to do a double toe touch.

The number of swings is flexible.

however, the most common way to do it is to swing for every toe touch, not swinging twice looks sloppy and rather like a mini team.

That was one of the reasons (not the only one though) that I left my all star gym. The coach had been coaching high school for years and knew nothing about all stars. Half the stuff she said was wrong so combined with that and the way she treated me, I was out of there.

That's when you know to get out of where you were. I was lucky to be blessed with wonderful coaches throughout my all star career and during my college career, thank god.

We have had multiple injuries from our coaches not knowing what they are doing and just trying to figure it out

Oh my..that would scare me to death having a coach say that! For the most part, I have been very blessed with great coaches! :) My current coach in college is actually an all star gym owner as well..she is amazing!! I have no idea how she memorizes all these counts to not only ALL her all star teams, but for college as well! I am so sorry your coach doesn't seem "up to par", hopefully you have captains that can help out a little and keep the team on track! I felt like the coach sometimes in HS for that reason..had a great coach (only freshman year), but when it came to cheerleading she was a little clueless.:confused:

Ofte, in college, the coach knowing what they are or aren't doing as far as skils isn't as important as when teaching fundamentals in All-Star.
By the time one is in college, one should have figured out how to learn a skill safely.
Some of the best coaches out there never cheered a day of their life, they relied on the experience of their cheerleaders for the skill: the coach sets the practice schedule and runs administrative stuff.

same here, there are a lot of coaches who in my opinion are not qualified enough. Especially here in Europe, there aren't alot of proper coaches camps or organisations that offer good education for coaches. Mostly the coaches are former gymnasts or dancers, but that's ofcourse not the same thing as cheerleading :/

same here, there are a lot of coaches who in my opinion are not qualified enough. Especially here in Europe, there aren't alot of proper coaches camps or organisations that offer good education for coaches. Mostly the coaches are former gymnasts or dancers, but that's ofcourse not the same thing as cheerleading :/

I totally agree with you, the organisation in Europe litterally sucks. I'm an educated coach in Sweden, so I've been through some of the courses here in Sweden.
I used to coach mini and youth-squads, beginner. The coach education over here does not at all match with the difficulty you most likely will coach for. For example, the course for advanced coacher are currently teaching skills for basket tosses and fulldowns i think. The skill level for advanced teams here are doubledowns from everything and doubletwisted layout in basket.

I trust my coaches however, since I know they have waaaaay more experience than that, and believe me, they need it. What is creepy though is that the Swedish Cheerleading Association don't demand more from coaches other than that they should have passed the courses of the Association. I still wonder how this possibly can be ok.

They have experience and expertise that I dont have, but there are moments when they dont know what theyre talking about and its frustrating. This is our first year level 5, so they know what the rules are, but they dont know how the judges will interpret them. Theyll say that something will be illegal because of rule X, but I know its legal because I have seen it done by other teams. Many times. Yet, if I correct them it looks like Im trying to coach their team.....
Did that make any sense?

They have experience and expertise that I dont have, but there are moments when they dont know what theyre talking about and its frustrating. This is our first year level 5, so they know what the rules are, but they dont know how the judges will interpret them. Theyll say that something will be illegal because of rule X, but I know its legal because I have seen it done by other teams. Many times. Yet, if I correct them it looks like Im trying to coach their team.....
Did that make any sense?

In my job we value constructive inputs and have specific times where we can provide feedback to each other because we know it's the best for us to get better. It make us the best at what we do.

You should never correct the coaches in front of anyone, but maybe finding them respectfully sometime after ask them if there is a good time when they won't mind you pointing things out that you think might help.

In my job we value constructive inputs and have specific times where we can provide feedback to each other because we know it's the best for us to get better. It make us the best at what we do.

You should never correct the coaches in front of anyone, but maybe finding them respectfully sometime after ask them if there is a good time when they won't mind you pointing things out that you think might help.

Thanks! I'll give it a shot:)

Back