All-Star Coed Stunt- Flyers

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Mar 19, 2010
Hi fierceboarders.
I've decided recently that I want to cheer in college. I was a flyer on my all-star team until this year. However, I have not done partner/coed stunts since I was 8 and I'm 16. I just started private lessons for coed stunting. I'm a lot smaller than many girls that my coach stunts with but it always seems very difficult. One day we spent an hour trying to do toss cupie and only succeeded twice. He tells me different things like I need to hold on longer so it's easier to throw and I'm always leaning forward a lot. Any kind of tips for coed flyers would be appreciated. Thanks :)

Coed flying is so much different than all girl flying that it may take a little bit to relearn. Focus on rolling your shoulders back when you're in the air. You also want to make sure that your jump is powerful and high. These things take time and practice...they don't always come naturally. Just keep stunting and it will slowly get more comfortable.

I recently started doing some coed stunting (about a month ago) and these are the tips that I found most helpful from my awesome partners I've been working with :)

1) Jump as hard and as high as you can! This really helps the base out so much with the toss
2) Lean back a little bit into the bases hands when you are doing toss to hands. This stops you from travelling forward and helps them to get right under you for the stunt. It feels weird at the start to lean back, but it really helps
3) Let the base do all of the balancing. It feels less secure than group stunting, but just have faith that the base has you :)
4) The 'flick' is super important - and can feel a little different when working with different partners. I find most people always flick too early, which makes the stunt lose power - so try to wait to flick till you're at the very top
5) Last of all you will need LOTS of patience! It is hard work, and will take many times to get right, but when you do I think it is so much more rewarding that group stunting :)

Good luck with it - I'm sure you will do amazing!

Hi fierceboarders.
I've decided recently that I want to cheer in college. I was a flyer on my all-star team until this year. However, I have not done partner/coed stunts since I was 8 and I'm 16. I just started private lessons for coed stunting. I'm a lot smaller than many girls that my coach stunts with but it always seems very difficult. One day we spent an hour trying to do toss cupie and only succeeded twice. He tells me different things like I need to hold on longer so it's easier to throw and I'm always leaning forward a lot. Any kind of tips for coed flyers would be appreciated. Thanks :)

We you are standing ready to go, point your elbows back towards your partner, keeping your chest up. As you dip, go down far enough to get a good strong jump, not too far or else you'll bottom out and your guy won't be able to get as much out of his toss.

From there keep your chest up, head neutral and wait til you are at the highest point of your partner's reach, then flick off his wrists as hard as you can, aiming to flick straight down your legs. A good flick from both partners can add almost a foot of height to your toss. After flicking keep your legs straight since in a moment you'll be standing on a hand or two. Keep your shoulders rolled back, butt and legs squeezed tight. And the 2 keys to staying in the air as a flyer, pull up and dont balance. Pulling up: pretend youre a backwards Woody doll (from toy story) and you have the pull string right on your sternum, you should be pulling all your body parts up and in to this imaginary string, making you lighter as well as tighter and easier to manipulate in the air. Don't balance: literally as you stand there, don't balance, just stay tight and pull up. The guy will do all the balance. (imagine if youre balancing a stick in your hand, the stick doesnt worry about its own balance, you do, which allows it to stand up in your hand)

Other things to remember, repetition is huge!! Do every stunt as many times as you can to allow muscle memory to take over. And the timing between you and your partner must be good and together otherwise the stunts wont go as smoothly.

Oh and have fun!

Back