OT Cold, Flu And Sinus Infections.

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic
Dec 15, 2009
I know cheer season/winter weather with fickle temperature is starting and it's not an ideal time to battle sickness

Does anyone have any home remedies that they use as go to's when they feel sickness coming on?

Right now I think I have what may be the start of a sinus infection (but possibly a cold from all of my visits to daycares for storytime) and I really would to stop it in its tracks sans over the counter medicine

So....anyway I thought it would be nice to have a thread of a running list or home remedies that people use when they're sick or starting to get sick.

For the last 2 years I've used Manuka honey in tea when I get a sore throat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cool thread idea! I'm interested in what people have to say.

For prevention, I usually just try to stick to a healthy diet, make sure I get enough sleep, exercise, etc. During the winter months, I really try hard to make sure I'm getting enough Vitamin C everyday, usually with juice since fruits in the winter can be really expensive. (Side note: If you like grapefruits, Price Chopper brand grapefruit juice is like freshest freshly squeezed juice I've ever come across that isn't some $10 health-nut juice. It tastes like real grapefruits and not like juice that's actually just sugar water. It also has like 120% of you DV of Vitamin C in one serving. I rely on that quite a bit in the winter.)

When I feel like I'm getting sick I'll drink Apple Cider Vinegar (with the mother!!) or I heat up orange juice and add ginger (fresh when you can), cinnamon, paprika, cayenne pepper, lemon juice, honey, and a dash of salt to it. It's not the most amazing drink taste wise but its not awful and it helps replenish your electrolytes. The spices and ginger help clear up sinuses.

I also have never been a psycho clean freak. I don't use hand sanitizer and I probably don't wash my hands nearly enough as I should during cold and flu season. (I mean I'm clean and I obviously wash my hands but I'm not crazy about it.) I'm a believer in exposing myself to the germs to build up my immune system. I also don't take medicine that often unless it's prescribed by a doctor. I'm not against modern science and medicine but I try to let my body take care of it on my own when I think it can. I should have prefaced that with my immune system is pretty good which is why it's probably something I can do :p

As difficult a task as it may seem when you're ill I've always found that doing some exercise usually helps day to day. I get blocked noses/sinuses often (just now to be precise haha!) and exercise helps me to breathe clearer and since I'm more tired, get a good nights sleep

The healthiest winter I ever had was when I ran outdoors several times a week. I swear the cold killed the germs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back