College College Cheer Teams For Non-level 5

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Alma College competes in All Girl Intermediate and is called the Harvard of the Midwest, so its academics are really good. Also they will be breaking ground for their own cheerleading building which is the only school ever to have a whole building for cheerleaders. The coach's name is Michelle Sabourin. It's only on its 2nd competitive year, so it's fairly new.

@collegecheermum @Ashley I should've mentioned, all of the schools on my list I looked at academically before cheer. I've ruled out numerous schools because they didn't have my major. That being said, I'm majoring in sports management and I'm planning on working for Varsity in the future. So clearly cheer is going to be a huge part of my college experience! It's just harder for me because I don't have a full. To answer you @collegecheermum I throw a round off handspring tuck and standing tuck on hard floor. I've been to 2 clinics already and I've been emailing coaches :)

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android || Upgrade Your Account!

Please look into your dream school! I know plenty of girls that made teams that "required" level 5 skills with just layouts. They were working on fulls and attempted them at some point in the tryouts, but it's totally possible with good stunting skills and a great personality.
Keep going to clinics, anyone you're remotely interested in, and talking to coaches and current cheerleaders. You can never have too much information or go to too many clinics! I have huge regrets not looking into all my options for cheering in college, so sorry if this is a kind of a sappy inspirational post...also, I'm probably not as big of a help as others, but feel free to PM me! I love talking college cheer.

Please look into your dream school! I know plenty of girls that made teams that "required" level 5 skills with just layouts. They were working on fulls and attempted them at some point in the tryouts, but it's totally possible with good stunting skills and a great personality.
Keep going to clinics, anyone you're remotely interested in, and talking to coaches and current cheerleaders. You can never have too much information or go to too many clinics! I have huge regrets not looking into all my options for cheering in college, so sorry if this is a kind of a sappy inspirational post...also, I'm probably not as big of a help as others, but feel free to PM me! I love talking college cheer.
Thank you so much, I really appreciate it

We have been debating on adding a second competition team to our small coed D1a team that is in elite. The second team would be coed intermediate (so a mixture of single based coed and multi based all girl). Do we think that would actually have a shot at being popular for people?

We have been debating on adding a second competition team to our small coed D1a team that is in elite. The second team would be coed intermediate (so a mixture of single based coed and multi based all girl). Do we think that would actually have a shot at being popular for people?
Probably. There's a definite demand that doesn't seem to be filled as much in the South. The better question is-- can enough people afford GT to be able to fill 2 squads? You'd know better than I. I just remember that being a problem at my school. People wanted to come cheer but couldn't afford the tuition.

I actually have a friend who visited GT while we were at cheersport last year and fell in love with the school. She wanted to cheer but was afraid she wouldn't make the team. I think there would definitely be enough people to fill the demand, there are of plenty of girls who give up cheering in college because they don't have the skills. That's why I love NCA's intermediate division

I actually have a friend who visited GT while we were at cheersport last year and fell in love with the school. She wanted to cheer but was afraid she wouldn't make the team. I think there would definitely be enough people to fill the demand, there are of plenty of girls who give up cheering in college because they don't have the skills. That's why I love NCA's intermediate division

Our female requirement is just a standing tuck. Please have her contact me if she is still interested.

King: My HS junior CP is seriously looking to apply to the Engineering program at GT. We have toured other schools where it's been implied that the workload involved in the Engineering program would make difficult, if not impossible, to participate in college cheer? Just wondering if you felt this was an accurate statement?

King: My HS junior CP is seriously looking to apply to the Engineering program at GT. We have toured other schools where it's been implied that the workload involved in the Engineering program would make difficult, if not impossible, to participate in college cheer? Just wondering if you felt this was an accurate statement?

Tech is a helluva school. It can be a ton of work. However it is not impossible to cheer there and be involved in some of the more difficult degrees. I have lots of athletes who are great students, cheer, and are in a Fraternity / Sorority. Tech Cheer probably has the largest amount of degrees in engineering of any of the sports (we are considered a sport at our school and do letter) so it isn't like they are just doing an easy degree (which I will say for our football and basketball program doesnt exist :( ). I coach biomedical engineers, mechanical engineers, computer science majors, computer engineering, aerospace, psychology, business, industrial systems engineering. And there is a strong possibility your child will not be going out on Thursday nights to parties because she has a test Friday. Or she spends an entire weekend in studying after the football game is over. But it isn't like that is looked down upon at Tech. It is a lot of fun and we really do take pride in our school and we enjoy the ride.

If you are ever interested in visiting let me know. We have actually gotten rid of all clinics ( I personally don't like them and think they arent effective anyway) and make all our practices open. Just contact us if you want to visit.

gtcheer.com

Tech is a helluva school. It can be a ton of work. However it is not impossible to cheer there and be involved in some of the more difficult degrees. I have lots of athletes who are great students, cheer, and are in a Fraternity / Sorority. Tech Cheer probably has the largest amount of degrees in engineering of any of the sports (we are considered a sport at our school and do letter) so it isn't like they are just doing an easy degree (which I will say for our football and basketball program doesnt exist :( ). I coach biomedical engineers, mechanical engineers, computer science majors, computer engineering, aerospace, psychology, business, industrial systems engineering. And there is a strong possibility your child will not be going out on Thursday nights to parties because she has a test Friday. Or she spends an entire weekend in studying after the football game is over. But it isn't like that is looked down upon at Tech. It is a lot of fun and we really do take pride in our school and we enjoy the ride.

If you are ever interested in visiting let me know. We have actually gotten rid of all clinics ( I personally don't like them and think they arent effective anyway) and make all our practices open. Just contact us if you want to visit.

gtcheer.com

Great, thanks for the insight, she'll be thrilled! I'll be sure to contact you in the Spring when we're in town for the official tour. :D

I live in NJ but I'm looking out of state, the only school in state that has my major is Rutgers an I don't have an interest in going there

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android || Upgrade Your Account!
I coach for Widener University in Chester, Pa. We are all girl DIII and compete NCA. Widener has a good Sport Management program if interested. Minimum tumbling requirements is standing tuck and round off handpsring tuck. Contact me if interested in knowing more [email protected]

I coach for Widener University in Chester, Pa. We are all girl DIII and compete NCA. Widener has a good Sport Management program if interested. Minimum tumbling requirements is standing tuck and round off handpsring tuck. Contact me if interested in knowing more [email protected]
Ill definitely contact you if I'm interested! My dad is a Widener alumni :)

Appalachian State - I cheered there. Strong Division II school (Southern Conference) that just moved up to the BCS (Sunbelt Conference). There are two teams this year all girl & coed (coed was just brought back). Both have a good range of cheerleaders, all girl had basically all standing tucks and most were throwing tuck/layouts with a couple fulls. Coed girls had more girls who were only throwing BHS but many also have tucks and most have the same running tumbling as all girl. Many of the boys were new to coed cheer but have done an amazing job and have gotten much better. In my opinion, this is a college cheerleading team that will have lots of great growth in the next couple of years. There is also about 6-8 cheerleaders who are also UCA instructors. As of now they do not compete, but the coach is working towards starting competition again. Its located in the NC mountains in Boone which is a semi-small but really a great college town!

If you are interested:

Cheerleading - Appalachian State Mountaineers | Official Athletics Site

App State Cheerleading | Facebook

Facebook

App State Cheer (AppStateCheer) on Twitter

(this was a cheerleader's student project from two years ago)

Back