College Essentials Help

Discussion in 'Random' started by Mer_bear20, Oct 26, 2019.

1. Mer_bear20

Mer_bear20 I'm new. Don't Hurt Me

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Athlete
    So I am currently a senior in high school, but I will be graduating a semester early, and starting college in January.

What are some college essentials that I would typically need? For example dorm room and class material essentials. Also what do students typically take with them? I will be going out of state ( approximately 12 hours away) so I won’t be able to just go home and get something if I realize I forgot something I need.

2. DonnaM

DonnaM I Fierce Board instead of work/study

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    Your insurance card, ID, important numbers, a credit or debit card....all that usual stuff. If you take any chronic medications, arrange mail delivery, or get the prescription transferred to a national pharmacy with a location near campus. If you have any prescriptions which are likely to have street value, you may want to see if they can be sent to student health and stop by to get a week’s supply or so at a time, so that if they are stolen in the dorm, you don’t lose a large amount (this is primarily ADHD meds and pain relievers).

Otherwise, bring basics-clothes appropriate to the climate, a good pillow, a few towels, bedding, and stuff like that. Think about what you would need for a week long summer camp for basic survival. A laptop if you have one and there is not a specific one required for your major. (Printing is usually included as part of your campus fees, and most classes can have assignments submitted online). Cell phone and charger. Graphing calculator if you have one from high school.

Anything else can be ordered if you need it, or buy off campus. Most colleges have zipcar if you don’t have a car of your own, so you aren’t necessarily limited by what is close to campus. Many schools also have transportation to shopping areas. And Amazon Student is great. Bed, Bath and Beyond and Target both usually have special deals for delivery to dorms.

Check with your roommate/suite mates once you get those assignments. If your room doesn’t come with a mini-fridge/microwave, you want to try to work out who brings what and sharing arrangements. In general, try to avoid redundancy. Dorm rooms aren’t super large. And for infrequently used stuff, chances are high that someone’s mom made them bring it, and it can be borrowed. It can be nice to coordinate bedding.

Once you have registered for classes, and have book requirements, check Amazon for rentals and purchase as well as the bookstore. In addition, if there is a good used bookstore off campus, check those, too (If you’re driving through TN or NC, McKay’s books is usually really good for college texts). Check with the professor to find out if codes are used before you buy them, and if past editions are Ok-often they are.

Good luck and have fun!

3. oncecoolcoachnowmom

oncecoolcoachnowmom Bestest Newbie '14

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Coach
    If you're not in driving distance of your home, make sure you bring all your winter/cold weather clothes.

I lived within 45 minutes of my parents so I could go home and switch out. Some of my friends didn't and they had to have parents ship it or fly out and bring it on a visit.

Even if you do not think it will get particularly cold where you are headed. Ex: My nephew thought he would not need warm hoodies in AZ. Wrong. The night time starts to get a little chilly in November.

And about books: Sometimes, the professor will be nice and tell you "there is a new edition of this but you don't need it - the old one is fine." So make sure you check into that before you go out and buy the newest one.

It's okay to check around and see if someone in your major is selling a copy of something, too. I passed on a lot of my grad school textbooks to the next cohort.

4. Ems

Ems I have my own cheer message board

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Retired From Cheer
    Again about books, reiterating what has already been said, but seriously:
    Never buy your books at the bookstore and wait to see if you actually need the book.
    Books are stupid expensive through the bookstore and it’s often way cheaper to get them used online (amazon and Chegg are pretty reliable with good prices) and often RENT them. Like are you ever going to need a textbook from a random general ed class again? No. Rent it and save yourself money and save yourself the space of old, useless textbooks crowding your dorm. And you may be thinking, “well I can just sell my books to someone else at the end of the semester!” But let’s be honest, are you really going to want to find someone or hit up Craigslist/Facebook marketplace to find someone to buy your book at the end of the semester? When they’re gonna haggle the price and if you’re lucky you MIGHT get half of what you paid for it? When you’re over everything and just want to go on break? The answer is no. Rent your books. And heck, rent ebooks if you can (though I don’t recommend ebooks that are only available through internet access), then you don’t even have to worry about shipping.
    It also never hurts to see if there’s a free pdf floating around the web. And it’s an easy way to make friends/study buddies in class. Find a free text, share it, instant connection with a classmate.
    Also, wait till after the first day to get your books. Even with books you know you’re going to need, like a math text, you might have to buy an online subscription that comes with an etext, so it would be irrelevant to get the physical text book anyways.
    And one last thing on the topic of books, ask your professor if you need to bring the text to class. Unless it’s super convenient to go back to your dorm between classes and switch out books, it sucks carrying multiple textbooks around because lockers aren’t a thing in college.

And trust me. I’ve been in college forever. I’m finally in my last year of graduate school, thank the lord. But as a grad student, I teach a class at my university that is 96% freshmen. So this advice is coming from a student who hasn’t bought a textbook in years and still made it through undergrad and (almost) grad school AND a teacher that deals with freshmen and sees them buy a $279 text book and lug it in the first day of class.

5. quitthedrama

quitthedrama I buy my Insta followers

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    Where are you starting college next semester? A lot depends on the college you will be going to.