OT College Students

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic
Dec 18, 2009
I know there are many college students on here and I was wondering....Do any of you still live in dorms? How long did you live in a dorm? When did you get your first apartment?

This is my first year in college, but ive stayed in a dorm since June of 2011 because right after i graduated i started school to get a head start. Im over the whole dorm thing already but i dont feel like im completely ready for an apartment. Thats a big jump...i feel and its expensive. But im thinking about it more each day...because i need my own space lol

So please post your experiences below! I would greatly appreciate it :)

Does your college have on campus apartments? I know a lot of campuses are adding those. It's a nice transition from dorms to real apartment living. It's part of campus (so it's not from a slumlord-they flock to college towns) so you know that if something is leaky or whatnot it'll get fixed by maintenance. Also you can usually get a smaller meal plan, and "ease" into having to cook your own meals. You pay a room and board (financial aid loans can cover the cost) so that you'r enot worrying about making rent every month. I really think (as a parent) it's a great option.

Im a college freshman and I live off campus! I go to Auburn University and they have very limited dorm space so I was wait listed and decided that it would be easier to go ahead and find roommates to live off campus with and get everything settled than to have to stress over wether or not I would actually get a spot in a dorm in time for school. I have loved it so far! The rent isn't too bad and I share it with 3 other girls. Auburn offers a lot of options for students who live off campus and its really convenient because, like most college town apartment complexes do, each roommate pays a set amount and they rent by room, not by apartment therefore I don't have to worry about if my roommates are going to pay their rent on time or not. My other roommates are freshman too so I definitely recommend trying to find people to live with that are the same age as you. You'll have more to talk about and relate too. There are more expenses to worry about with apartments like kitchen things and furniture and what not but I say if your ready to move off campus then go ahead and do it! Or live on campus one more year to meet a ton more people! Unfortunately I have to move on campus next year as a requirement for my sorority and I will miss having my own bedroom and bathroom :( If you have any other questions feel free to ask!

well for me because my university is downtown in a large city they have never had space for any dorms so because of that everybody that goes to my school is forced into either commuting in from their parents using off campus residences that a bunch of other kids from other universitys choose to live in, or boarding with other students in houses that have been renovated for student usage which is what i have done this year, basically you pay for a room in a house (i share with 6 other university students) we have 2 bathrooms, laundry, and a kitchen to all share and we all swap on the chores once a week, this is probably the best option if you dont wanna do residence anymore, you get experience of being on your own but your still sharing a house with other kids so its nowhere near as bad as being in your own apartment

I stayed in the dorms for my first two years, but many of my friends only stayed in dorms for freshmen year. We were lucky enough to have apartment complexes near the university that catered to students only, and there were enough that they competed with each other for the best amenities/prices/services. I took a weekend with my mother and drove around touring a ton of the places and made a list with things such as rent price, bathroom to bedroom ratio, whether utilities/cable/internet etc. was included in that price, furnished or not, location to campus, if there were shuttles to campus/it was on the campus bus route, etc. to remember what was good and bad about each place. It was a big change, but was nice to have my own space and not have to share a bathroom.
If you can find a place that does rent individually by room/bathroom combo that is the best, as you don't have to worry about other people not paying and you getting stuck with extra rent or something. Also, I suggest finding roommates that also go to your school prior to signing a lease and looking up reviews of apartment complexes online to see what other people complained about if anything.

I lived on campus my first year, then I moved off. First: so I would only share a bathroom with one person and not risk 18 again. Second: because my school started accepting more freshmen and everyone else was put in a drawing for the extra dorms and didn't want to risk not having some where to live since all of the affordable apartments fill up before Spring Break. Some advice I will give you is if you have any extremely close/best friends do not room with them while it could work out it could also be the end to something wonderful. Like everyone said if you move off campus try to find some where that you can pay for your room and not have to worry about others having to pay.

I lived in dorms 2 years.

First year I lived in a traditional style dorm, hall baths etc. I actually loved it (maybe not so much the bathroom part...but even that wasn't unbearable). Great experience that every freshman student needs to have. Its one of the reasons I advocate going away to college and living in a normal dorm...everyone needs that experience. IMO

My second year I lived in the dorm that had suite style baths. I hate my roommate, I hated my suitemate's roommate (me and my second roommate were friends from freshman year) and ended up getting paired with two filthy freshman roommates.

That was when I got fed up living with strangers and moved to apartments off campus (the kind where everyone pays $400...responsible for your own rent..if someone doesn't pay then thats their problem..not yours)

My senior year I moved into a townhouse with my friend. It was going great until Christmas break rolled around. Some guy had been attacking girls, raping people etc on campus throughout the semester. During break my roommate and I were in and out of the house (went home for break, came back to work for a few days) never crossed paths. Apparently he'd been watching us. One night (I wasn't there that night) he decided to break in (my roommate was home).

Long story short my final half of my senior year was spent going to his trial. So because of that...I advocate staying in a dorm as long as possible. Its safer.

Thank you all so much for your help. I truly appreciate it so much!! Im taking each post into consideration and just going to see what happens. Im so nervous about living in a apartment.. (ive watched way to much tv) but i want to get away from this dorm. Ill surely be having an alarm on every window and door if i do decide to move into a apartment! But thANKS again :)

I know there are many college students on here and I was wondering....Do any of you still live in dorms? How long did you live in a dorm? When did you get your first apartment?

This is my first year in college, but ive stayed in a dorm since June of 2011 because right after i graduated i started school to get a head start. Im over the whole dorm thing already but i dont feel like im completely ready for an apartment. Thats a big jump...i feel and its expensive. But im thinking about it more each day...because i need my own space lol

So please post your experiences below! I would greatly appreciate it :)

I'm in my junior year in college. My freshman and sophomore year I lived in the dorms, and I now have an apartment. My sophomore year it was hard because a ton of my friends moved to apartments but my parents wouldn't have it. Honestly, i'm glad now that I stayed in the dorms. Sure it's a pain, but my parents saved a lot of money ( and college is already so expensive ) and It is easier to focus on your studying when you are on campus. I know the decision is up to you in the end but i recommend staying in the dorms till the end of your sophomore year. You will appreciate your apartment so much more when you get it !

I lived in the dorms for 3 years and then got an off-campus apartment my senior year. My university required freshmen and sophomores to live on campus. We also had new on-campus apartments but they were very expensive, so I opted not to live in them. When considering moving off campus I made a spreadsheet to compare the costs of dorm vs. apartment to show to my parents and sell my idea.

if your college offers suites you may want to consider that! they're a good "in-between" option.

I'm a junior, and I've lived in an apartment the last two years (last year with three friends, this year on my own), but I also went to boarding school, so I've had the dorm experience longer than most entering college.

i lived in the dorms my freshman year because I had no choice. granted, our dorms are like the freaking tah mahal of dorms, so they were really nice and it was practically like living in an apartment. but all my friends are older and live off campus so that sucked. I'm a sophomore now, and i moved into an off campus apartment, and it was the greatest decision ever. the way our campus is designed, alot of kids have to move off campus because there isn't enough on campus housing, but there's at least like 5 apartment complexes around here catered toward college kids, plus houses. I love my apartment. its the perfect size, its cheap, and its real close to campus. i only pay 275 for rent, plus utilities, but utilities are never more than like 90-100. the only downfall was it wasn't fully furnished, but we got our furniture real cheap from seniors moving out, yards sales, good will, places like that. I have always been really responsible and independent, but having an apartment has allowed me really grow up and be on my own. like i said, wouldnt change it for the world :)

i lived in the dorms my freshman year because I had no choice. granted, our dorms are like the freaking tah mahal of dorms, so they were really nice and it was practically like living in an apartment. but all my friends are older and live off campus so that sucked. I'm a sophomore now, and i moved into an off campus apartment, and it was the greatest decision ever. the way our campus is designed, alot of kids have to move off campus because there isn't enough on campus housing, but there's at least like 5 apartment complexes around here catered toward college kids, plus houses. I love my apartment. its the perfect size, its cheap, and its real close to campus. i only pay 275 for rent, plus utilities, but utilities are never more than like 90-100. the only downfall was it wasn't fully furnished, but we got our furniture real cheap from seniors moving out, yards sales, good will, places like that. I have always been really responsible and independent, but having an apartment has allowed me really grow up and be on my own. like i said, wouldnt change it for the world :)

What state do you live in? That's so cheap. The cheapest I can find down here is around 400 plus utilities

What state do you live in? That's so cheap. The cheapest I can find down here is around 400 plus utilities

I go to school in Pennyslvania. most of the apartments around here are upwards of 350-500 a month, but alot of them include utilities and are furnished. but in the long run, i still end up paying less than any of them do, especially because those complexes are also alot more strict about damage. the person in charge here knows we're college kids, and most of them are destructive lol

Back