College College Tryouts

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Jan 21, 2011
Tryouts Are Coming Soon If Not Already Happening! Few Questions.
What Exactly Is College Tryout Apparel?
What Should You Wear To Open Workouts Before Tryouts And Tryouts?
What Shouldnt You Wear?
What Type Of Attitude Is Appropriate?
Getting To Know The Coaches.... Bad Or Good Thing?
If Your Not Confident In A Skill Do You Fake Your Confidence Or Tell The Coach?

Help!!!

A lot of that depends on where you are trying out. Attire at Louisville vs attire for Tennessee are very different. Its a best bet to get in touch with someone that has tried out or cheered before from that University and ask them. Many teams have facebook now with tryout photos on there so do your research. No matter where you are a good, positive attitude is always best. Be friendly, helpful, and outgoing. Be confident in your skills not cocky. Do not go in there like you are better than anyone else or act like you are the best thing to ever happen to cheerleading! I always recommend introducing yourself to the coaches. At my tryouts when I have a room full of new faces some do get overlooked at times. If I have met a girl she will stand out a little more at first. That being said if the skills aren't there it doesn't matter if we've become BFF, you're not making the team! Unless the skill is required to make the team, don't throw skills you're not confident with. I would much rather see a good layout then a full where I'm afraid the girl is going to need an EMT. If it is a requirement then I suggest getting in a gym and getting confidence in it, usually confidence comes from repetition! Telling a coach you're not ready to do the skills they require from you when they have a room full of people that are will not help your case IMO.

What Exactly Is College Tryout Apparel?
What Should You Wear To Open Workouts Before Tryouts And Tryouts?
What Shouldnt You Wear?
What Type Of Attitude Is Appropriate?
Getting To Know The Coaches.... Bad Or Good Thing?
If Your Not Confident In A Skill Do You Fake Your Confidence Or Tell The Coach?

Help!!!

1. As far as apparel that varies from college to college. Look into emails, flyers, and on the cheer website to see if there is a required attire for tryouts. If there isn't, I recommend wearing a plain colored shirt and soffees in school colors. Another option is to talk to vets or returners to find out what apparel is typically worn for tryouts.
2. For open workouts I would wear normal cheer attire that you would wear to practice..maybe competition shirts if you did all star. I would refrain from wearing an actual gym shirt though-some college coaches take that offensively.
3. Do not wear anything provactive, shirts from other gyms or other colleges, or borrow someone's (college name here) cheer shirt.
4. Confident (not super cocky), but a lot of perspective college cheerleaders have previous experience! Be open-minded, sometimes at tryouts they will teach you how they do certain things in their cheer program which may be different than you have done in the past. Be outgoing-although you are there for your tryout, they want to see that you are well-rounded and would be a positive asset in a team setting as well.
5. Getting to know the coaches is a great thing! Emailing ahead of time, asking questions, and scheduling a visit to the campus/meet the coach prior to tryouts is beneficial as well.
6. If you are not confident do a skill, I suggest not going for it at tryouts. I recommend going for everything you are confident throwing (tumbling wise). Use good judgement! :) Usually at tryouts there is a rush of adrenaline anyway so if you have a skill that is somewhat shakey, but you've landed it many times before you will most likely land it at tryouts and the same goes with stunting. Definitely tell the coach if something becomes a safety hazard, but first I would try to use your best judgement.

Good luck with tryouts!! :) I definitely remember asking a TON of questions to a lot of the veterans and I emailed back & forth with my coach who was very helpful as well.

Be open-minded, sometimes at tryouts they will teach you how they do certain things in their cheer program which may be different than you have done in the past.
Great Point. Most colleges do have a certain way they do things and they're typically aren't interested in hearing you tell your way. Be adaptable!

I also want to add that some colleges require tumbling on a gym floor. When I cheered in college we tried out on a mat, however we had to show our tumbling on a gym floor and a mat, since the majority of college cheering is on a field or court they preferred to see it on both!

The best way to find out most of the answers to these questiosn is to attend a clinic or workshop hosted by the school(s) that you wish to tryout for. You will see and hear a lot about the program. If the school does not hold workshops or clinics, attend a practice I don't know about most programs but UK has open practices, anyone can attend. Contact a coach first just to be sure.

Let them get to know you - seeing you face to face will make an impression.

Ask questions in person, not by e-mail.

Never wear clothing of another school - that kind of attention is not the sort you want.

You may want to wear all star or high school gear, that is probably fine. But try to wear gear of the school you are trying out for. (This sounds a bit harsh, but most current cheerleaders or coaches won't be impressed by what gym you cheered at - this is a diffrent ball game.)

Don't fake anything! Do the skill or don't. During practices times, ask current cheerleaders for pointers or help in working on those skills. They won't think less of you if you sincerely ask for help.

Good luck!

Great information on here! I'm trying out for a college team this year and plan on attending the clinic.

Wear clothing that makes you stand out - you want them to remember who you are. Anyone that is planning on trying out for Louisville - please feel free to text or call me 502 974 4159 for tips.

Do your research, and when in doubt ASK THE COACH! What is perfectly acceptable to wear to Louisville tryouts may not be acceptable if you try out for Alabama. Do your research by going to the website for the school you want to try out for. Most college cheer teams have a website on the athletic website of the school. Really read the tryout information to find your answer. The coach may be irritated to put a ton of information online and then have you ask questions that they have already provided the answer to. If you can't find the website use google. Googling "IU Cheerleading" will get me to the IU cheer site. If you have done your research and the answer to your burning question is not there, go ahead and call or email the coach or contact the athletic director to get the coach's information.

Other than that: be genuinely nice, have a can-do attitude. Any other attitude or an air of superiority because you cheered at XYZ allstars will only get you shown the door. If you are given a suggestion by the coach or a current member of the team-take it. Throw clean skills. Seek help well in advance of tryouts if you are weak in any area. Don't fake anything; if the coach is worth anything they will know anyway. Ask for a spot if you need it, if they don't provide one then don't throw the skill. Deciding to just go for a skill may be more trouble than you think. Relying on adrenaline to help you land that tuck at tryouts will not do anything to help you in practice or at a game when you will be expected to throw the skills you had at tryouts.

On the subject of college try-outs, I just sent my try-out video electronically this morning! Relieved it's done, but super nervous at the same time. Even though it's pretty good, I'm my own worst critic :rolleyes:

Thanks Everyone!!!

Good Luck Bean baby! very exciting times ahead..keep us all posted! I will never forget the weeks of waiting when we sent off my daughter's video..she was at Worlds and could not attend live tryouts....the good news call came in right before finals at the Milkhouse...I will never forget her squeel!
Please keep us all posted and again..Good Luck!

Good Luck Bean baby! very exciting times ahead..keep us all posted! I will never forget the weeks of waiting when we sent off my daughter's video..she was at Worlds and could not attend live tryouts....the good news call came in right before finals at the Milkhouse...I will never forget her squeel!
Please keep us all posted and again..Good Luck!

Thanks And I Will!!!

Back