College Colleges near great All Star gyms

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Taylor, so Rockstar is 50 minutes from Clemson, or 2.5 hours from Clemson? I'm confused lol........

I didn't realize Clemson competed at NCA.....sounds like Clemson will be added to my list for sure!! It definitely meets my standards academically :). We will add it to the list of colleges to visit for sure!

Acedad, with Bama as the #1 football program in the country right now I can only imagine how great the sideline experience is!! And top 2 at UCA college nationals makes it hard to NOT consider them!

NC State.....how is the football program? I know they do well at NCA, how is the sidelining?

I'm also very interested in Southern Methodist University (Mustangs) in Dallas :). Wondering if any CA or Spirit Int'l athletes go to school there?

Thanks everyone for the suggestions and discussion.....keep it coming!!

Taylor, so Rockstar is 50 minutes from Clemson, or 2.5 hours from Clemson? I'm confused lol........

I didn't realize Clemson competed at NCA.....sounds like Clemson will be added to my list for sure!! It definitely meets my standards academically :). We will add it to the list of colleges to visit for sure!

Acedad, with Bama as the #1 football program in the country right now I can only imagine how great the sideline experience is!! And top 2 at UCA college nationals makes it hard to NOT consider them!

NC State.....how is the football program? I know they do well at NCA, how is the sidelining?

I'm also very interested in Southern Methodist University (Mustangs) in Dallas :). Wondering if any CA or Spirit Int'l athletes go to school there?

Joanne -

Clemson is close to Rockstar, USC, not so close. USC is very close to ACX, the gym Stringrays used to use for cheer camp. Erica was accepted to both schools and she chose Carolina but you'll have to ask her why, cause I'm still wondering myself. I think she had her heart set on USC from the start and that was just that. Also, there weren't very many majors at Clemson she was interested in.

NC State has great football and great basketball too. Their squads are very competitive at NCA Nationals too - I suspect with Maryland not attending NCA this year, that NCSU has a shot for 1st in All Girl against Louisville. There is a Stringray alum on that squad.

Alabama - Very difficult squads to make.

SMU - Erica and I toured SMU last year and loved it. But only half the student body is from Texas so who knows how many All Stars are there. My guess is that there are a lot in Austin at the University of Texas.

You should also consider Maryland. Great school. Great cheerleading. Great athletics. Great part of the country...... F5 is relatively close. They are pioneering the effort to include Competitive Cheer under NCAA regulations. Unless she graduated last year, there is a Stingray alum there.

But you're overlooking the obvious and the least costly options! UGA and Tech. Both fit all your criteria, with the exception that Tech does not compete, but heck - she can be a Stingray....

My biggest advice to you, or anyone looking at colleges.... Make sure to choose a school that you want to attend if you weren't cheering, and that it's the right fit academically, socially, economically, etc... And kids change a lot in high school. By the time Erica started her junior year, she decided that she wasn't going anywhere where she couldn't come home for a weekend.

Double trouble, thanks so much for your insight....very helpful! The first priority is academics without question. What I am trying to do right now is make a list of the best of everything on her list. If she wants it all then that is where we will start and adjust as she goes through high school and as her idea of what she wants to be when she grows up changes. I want to make a list of all the schools that offer "it all", and then a list of schools that offer "most of it".

As for UGA, it is on our list no doubt :) They don't have a coed squad that competes though, only all-girl right now, so they would be on my "most of it" list lol.

Does UT Austin compete? Or are they UCA....

Everyone is telling her to stick with NCA and I mean everyone. It seems like there are tons of great UCA colleges like Kentucky and Bama...etc. From what I've heard NCA is more like all stars.......is that why people are telling her that? Are UCA college teams generally harder to make?

Since UCA only has 16 (I think) compete in the coed divisions, I'd say that has something to do with UCA school being harder to make, since they have less on the mat, compared to NCA's 20. Also, a lot of schools put heavy emphasis on the "collegiate look", and they are looking for girls to fit their exact look, that also have the skills. I always think of schools like Bama and UK having girls that all look exactly alike.

Level5Mom -- One of our coaches just accepted a job at SMU as the cheer coach. Not totally sure if she's the head coach or assistant. I just know she's moving there and working with the cheer program. She's one of our best coaches. Of course, I still want Hailey to pick OSU so she and Emileigh can cheer together. haha That's assuming of course Emileigh still wants to go there 5 years from now. lol

Level5Mom -- One of our coaches just accepted a job at SMU as the cheer coach. Not totally sure if she's the head coach or assistant. I just know she's moving there and working with the cheer program. She's one of our best coaches. Of course, I still want Hailey to pick OSU so she and Emileigh can cheer together. haha That's assuming of course Emileigh still wants to go there 5 years from now. lol

Oh wow that is good to know Susan, I didn't realize she was going to SMU!! VERY good to know!! :) As for OSU, they mostly offer Sciences centered around agriculture and horticulture etc.....not quite what she wants to study (at least right now!).

Double trouble, thanks so much for your insight....very helpful! The first priority is academics without question. What I am trying to do right now is make a list of the best of everything on her list. If she wants it all then that is where we will start and adjust as she goes through high school and as her idea of what she wants to be when she grows up changes. I want to make a list of all the schools that offer "it all", and then a list of schools that offer "most of it".

As for UGA, it is on our list no doubt :) They don't have a coed squad that competes though, only all-girl right now, so they would be on my "most of it" list lol.

Does UT Austin compete? Or are they UCA....

Everyone is telling her to stick with NCA and I mean everyone. It seems like there are tons of great UCA colleges like Kentucky and Bama...etc. From what I've heard NCA is more like all stars.......is that why people are telling her that? Are UCA college teams generally harder to make?

UT AUSTIN DOES NOT COMPETE! and alot of the kids that are on Wildcats and Fiercecats are actually from Navarro a handfull go to SMU but majority of them are Junior college kids or from Houston or outta state :) but TCU is a great private school and Spirit isnt too far from there id say like 30-45mins

Excuse my ignorance, but what does TCU stand for? Is Navarro a college? When I search it nothing comes up......I feel like an idiot lol.....

TCU=Texas Christian University. We played them last year in football and they were a very friendly crowd. Great football program.

SMU is a GREAT school and they do have several athletes from Spirit of Texas and Cheer Athletics! Obviously Navarro is a popular choice for all star cheerleaders coming out of Dallas but that would be the junior college route. Texas Tech University has a ton of kids from Cheer Athletics on their squad as well.

Texas Tech Competes NCA: (I could only find the practice video on youtube which isnt as good as they were at NCA)

There are loads of colleges that the dallas cheer world breaks off into...... Navarro is a Junior College that is big with cheer, and of course SFA is huge for cheerleading. Ut Austin doesnt compete but is big on football, as with OU (actually closer to Dallas than UT even though its in oklahoma). Texas Tech has a good competitive coed team and is big on football, though its kind of known as a party school here haha. SMU and TCU are both private and very nice, though TCU is all about the sideline experience (fantastic football team) where as SMU is working up to be more competitive (SMU is in north dallas, so it would be near Cheer Athletics, where as TCU is in fort worth and would be close to spirit of texas). Baylor is also private and has just started signing scholarships for girls on their competitive team (maryland stunt and tumble format), though they have separate sideline squads (coed and all girl sideline teams)....although they are consistently last in the big 12 every year and waco, tx isnt the nicest place aside from baylor's campus IMO.

Both OCC (Orange Coast College) and CSULB (Long Beach State) in southern california are coed teams and compete at NCA.

OCC is AMAZING, but is a community college.
CSULB is also amazing (BARELY getting second at NCA nationals in small coed) and is a very good school academically! They don't have a football program but their basketball team is excellent and has competed in the NCAA tournament 8 times.

Several people from both teams compete on PACE Empire (Coed lvl 6) which placed 5th at Worlds this year and the school is also close to California All Stars which is always a great option especially if your daughter wants to super senior.

Back