College Colleges Offering Full Scholarships?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Dec 21, 2010
I know I'm probably annoying with all my college questions but I'm just trying to figure out some schools. If you know any schools that offer full scholarships let me know please! The only ones I really know of are University of Hawaii and Kentucky. Hawaii Pacific pays tuition but not other fees and I heard somewhere Louisville cheerleaders get in state tuition?? Help! Thanks!

From what I have heard HPU cut their scholarships big time, not sure if they competely cut them out or just lowered the amount you get.
UK's scholarships are tricky to understand but from the website it sounds like 16 members (there are 21 memebers total) of the Blue Squad receive scholarships that total roughly the cost of instate tuition. The way it sounds to me is if you come from out of state you have to pay the difference, but the school may waive that. Those scholarships do NOT include any special fees the University charges so you as a student would have to pay those. They then have several other scholarships that are handed out based on different criteria. It doesn't mention much about what the White Squad gets (they are in the running for the special scholarships) but I remember a while back they would get money for books, not sure if it is still that way.
As far as Louisville I don't think they have any big scholarships but you can always get grants and stuff through the school.

Just some info we know of 1st hand. SFA waives out of state fees for members of small and lg coed and a $500 scholarship. Lg Coed members meeting certain criteria may receive up to 1600$ scholarship. The University of Memphis gave 11 full In State Scholarships to the Coed squad this yr and a couple 1/2 scholarships. 4 of the full scholarships went to girls! Many schools waive the out of state fees..which can be huge, and can be worth more than an actual scholarship!

I know I'm probably annoying with all my college questions but I'm just trying to figure out some schools. If you know any schools that offer full scholarships let me know please! The only ones I really know of are University of Hawaii and Kentucky. Hawaii Pacific pays tuition but not other fees and I heard somewhere Louisville cheerleaders get in state tuition?? Help! Thanks!

Yep, anyone who makes UK's blue squad gets a full in-state scholarship. Unlike most college squads, UK gets cheerleaders from all over the country but around the world as well.

Yep, anyone who makes UK's blue squad gets a full in-state scholarship. Unlike most college squads, UK gets cheerleaders from all over the country but around the world as well.
That isn't what their website says. Their website says only 16 of the 21 members get the scholarship and in that 16 the mascots are also in the running to receive them. It doesn't really say how the 16 are chosen though. Probably by financial need. This is where all their scholarship opportunities are listed and explained

http://www.ukathletics.com/trads/cheer-policies.html

Do not base your college choice on scholarships for part or full tuition for cheering. It does not always work out, I heard NC State use to give out of state cheerleaders in state tuition and now they stopped. Do not forget you will be going to school for at least 4 years and need to get an education while cheering. Like I tell my daughter, school and grades are first then cheering.. If her schooling falls apart she will be coming home. I have been lucky she is doing great at school and as for cheering U of L and Pink are doing great for her.

U of L in state tuition is based on grades and ACT scores. This is offered by the school, not the cheer program.

Please tell me how to get this for my daughter. She has good grades but was told by them she has to meet in state requirements to get it.

go on louisville.edu

on the bar click Academics or Admissions

then under financial aid column click Scholarships and aid

Scroll down to scholarships for High School Seniors
Click on Out-Of-State high school senior

Scroll to National Scholars

You need an ACT score of 26 and a 3.35 GPA

Must apply by Feb. 15th

It is my understnading that HPU no longer gives 100% or 80% tuition waivors. It is based on both skill and financial (FAFSA) eligibility. HPU is a good school but please look at it as a school you wish to graduate from! My duaghter spent 1 1/2 years at HPU (waitlisted on the cheer team...she sent her video in late unfortuanatley) and has transferred back home. She loved the school but missed home and the seasons!! A hard lesson learned.....most of her classes will not transfer back home (she is appealing). It is almost like she is starting out as an incoming freshman! She did have a wonderful 1.5 years at HPU and met so many different people from many different countries.........an experience she would never have had had she not gone there (she wanted to go there to cheer and graduate). Scholarships are only awarded to incoming or current team members. I thought that was not such a good thing as quite a bit of the kids that cheered on scholarship only stayed for one year, while there were many that wanted to stay at the school (and had the skills but were either waitlisted or did not make the team their first year) but chose not to try out the following year because they would not be awarded a cheer scholarhip even it they made the team (after already being an HPU student). There was no incentive to try to be the best one could be on the mat knowing you were paying full tuition while your teammate was on scholarship.

I suggest if HPU is the school you really want to go to.........go visit. It is a beautiful island and the school and people so very nice. I miss my daughter being there, but happy she is home!!

Exactly! While a school offering a scholarship for cheer is awesome, it does not mean the school is the best for you. If you are going to eventually transfer beware that credits can be a pain in the butt to transfer. I transfered after a year to a different school and only a semester worth of classes went to my new school so I am having to finish up last minute classes over the summer to graduate in May while all my other friends already graduated.
Be smart when choosing a school because it is a much bigger decision then what cheer team you want to be on more.

Thanks, we found out about that at orientation and then they told us it was too late to get it. My daughter meet those requirements but they could not do anything about it. I am glad you mentioned it for future kids going to go there for that info.

Back