College Collegiate Vs. All-star (crossover??)

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I No longer expect the admin part of cheerleading to change much no matter where you go or how many titles the team has. AND SAVE the money you thought was now not needed for cheer FOR AIRFARE! Smile and be proud your kid reached her goal, shut up and pray Frontier has a sale when you need it!
:D:D:D

Hope she has a great 1st semester and your travels to see her go smooth! :)

:D:D:D

Hope she has a great 1st semester and your travels to see her go smooth! :)

Thanks Doll! I've been roflmao at MYSELF for about 2 1/2 weeks now. Who knew a 50 yo woman could be so naive?! ‍♀️
I'd NEVER have thought I'd say I miss the communication of AS Cheer ....but there it is! I'll take ketchup with my crow please! [emoji13]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I did college and all-star for two years in college. Your coaches need to be flexible and support it though - I had to miss our friends and family showcase before Daytona one year to go to FL with my all-star team.

At my current gym, the owner also coaches a local college team, so most of those athletes also cheer at the gym. It gets them out performing, sometimes similar stunt sequences, earlier in the season.

This is what I tell all kids that I coach that think about cheering in college, it is also different from high school. Every athlete handles the change differently, and some really love it and some don't feel it fits them at all. It is so hard to assume that someones experience, even if well prepared for the tryout will match the actual experience that is assumed. College workloads are very different, some easier then others but its not as structured as high school, and there is more then just the school and cheer aspect of college, there is social, other activities, group projects, etc. In addition with cheer, Athletes sit, athletes don't cheer games, athletes don't compete, athletes are required to attend study halls and weight room etc. These top tier programs are so stacked and what is best for the team at that moment is who will be on the mat, there is no assumption. Also, I am sure some manage school cheer and a secondary cheer team, but it also may not be your typical full time student. :) @luluscamom Let your daughter have the experience and allow her to make it hers and let it unfold how it will unfold.

Oh I'm letting her.....to a point. She's a good kid and has a part time job (REAL PART TIME) and I WISH I could let her have the time of her life with no interference from me BUT we're paying for that "time of her life" & even if I had all the $ in the world to spend on her, I still expect no.....REQUIRE her grades be kept at a respectable GPA. 18 and away from home for the 1st time EVER she's still asking us to be at her "important" events (thank God) from moving her into her apartment to her 1st home game etc.. the airfare isn't usually cheap so with her insane schedule I find myself being a nag about things I have no answers for & she's never had to handle. I could let her learn the hard way and I will as soon as that hard way doesn't cost me hundreds of $$. I know there's MANY cheer Smothers and I'll admit with only a little embarrassment I've been one from time to time. However, I grew out of that YEARS AGO. I sincerely wish people wouldn't assume the root of a parents questions, involvement and/or hyper interest isn't ALWAYS because they are meddling to get little Susie in the front row. I can't be the only parent (besides my husband who usually catches what I miss) who does all those things in an attempt to let my kid do her thing without screwing up her focus AND to keep informed enough so that I don't miss a performance or put my family in bankruptcy due to buying airfare etc at 3x what I could have paid. Those are MY goals. She's been fighting her own battles for 8+ years. AND this college freshman a billion miles away stuff IS new to me. Someone should have a seminar on this stuff! I'd have paid big money to avoid some of this stress. I vow by next year, I'll be a pro!

Last season a lot of us on the University of Central Arkansas competed on the IOLC5 at Cheer Force Arkansas. I loved the experience of getting to compete at both Daytona and Worlds. It was, honestly, hard for my body to adjust to at the beginning, but by the time Daytona season came around second semester, those of us who competed on NightHawks handled fullouts much better. Also, all star coach was smart enough to know how to keep us healthy by not running a lot of fullouts at her practices.

Last season a lot of us on the University of Central Arkansas competed on the IOLC5 at Cheer Force Arkansas. I loved the experience of getting to compete at both Daytona and Worlds. It was, honestly, hard for my body to adjust to at the beginning, but by the time Daytona season came around second semester, those of us who competed on NightHawks handled fullouts much better. Also, all star coach was smart enough to know how to keep us healthy by not running a lot of fullouts at her practices.

RESPECT! That is SO hard. Major props, your strong mind AND body!

RESPECT! That is SO hard. Major props, your strong mind AND body!

Thank you! There were a few tough parts, but if I could go back in time. I'd do it all again. And last year was the highest G.P.A I've had in college. It was just a good year.

Oh I'm letting her.....to a point. She's a good kid and has a part time job (REAL PART TIME) and I WISH I could let her have the time of her life with no interference from me BUT we're paying for that "time of her life" & even if I had all the $ in the world to spend on her, I still expect no.....REQUIRE her grades be kept at a respectable GPA. 18 and away from home for the 1st time EVER she's still asking us to be at her "important" events (thank God) from moving her into her apartment to her 1st home game etc.. the airfare isn't usually cheap so with her insane schedule I find myself being a nag about things I have no answers for & she's never had to handle. I could let her learn the hard way and I will as soon as that hard way doesn't cost me hundreds of $$. I know there's MANY cheer Smothers and I'll admit with only a little embarrassment I've been one from time to time. However, I grew out of that YEARS AGO. I sincerely wish people wouldn't assume the root of a parents questions, involvement and/or hyper interest isn't ALWAYS because they are meddling to get little Susie in the front row. I can't be the only parent (besides my husband who usually catches what I miss) who does all those things in an attempt to let my kid do her thing without screwing up her focus AND to keep informed enough so that I don't miss a performance or put my family in bankruptcy due to buying airfare etc at 3x what I could have paid. Those are MY goals. She's been fighting her own battles for 8+ years. AND this college freshman a billion miles away stuff IS new to me. Someone should have a seminar on this stuff! I'd have paid big money to avoid some of this stress. I vow by next year, I'll be a pro!

Ok-First Breathe! This is a whole new ballgame. I am a mom to a CP who is in her 4th year at a top level cheer program. One of her coaches used to be a coach at our AS gym so I know him pretty well. He told me when she first made the team that the info that the parents get is on the "Need to Know Basis" and a lot of it we don't need to know. I am lucky-I live in the town she goes to school-but not all the parents do-some live quite far away and have never been to any of their kids comps (we only do NCA) or seen any games. We are lucky our program is super organized (husband and wife run it). but kids often don't know if they are going to away football games till the week of the game. (Everyone cheers home games-we have 50 kids in the program). We don't know who makes mat till November so it is a scramble to get a place to stay in Daytona. I just this year made a parents message group to help out all the new parents. With being far away from her I know this makes it all the more complicated for you. It does get better, once camp is over and they are in the swing of athletic events she and you will get more used to how the program is run. Good luck! If you have any questions-please ask!

Ok-First Breathe! This is a whole new ballgame. I am a mom to a CP who is in her 4th year at a top level cheer program. One of her coaches used to be a coach at our AS gym so I know him pretty well. He told me when she first made the team that the info that the parents get is on the "Need to Know Basis" and a lot of it we don't need to know. I am lucky-I live in the town she goes to school-but not all the parents do-some live quite far away and have never been to any of their kids comps (we only do NCA) or seen any games. We are lucky our program is super organized (husband and wife run it). but kids often don't know if they are going to away football games till the week of the game. (Everyone cheers home games-we have 50 kids in the program). We don't know who makes mat till November so it is a scramble to get a place to stay in Daytona. I just this year made a parents message group to help out all the new parents. With being far away from her I know this makes it all the more complicated for you. It does get better, once camp is over and they are in the swing of athletic events she and you will get more used to how the program is run. Good luck! If you have any questions-please ask!

Thank YOU! Holy cow, I thought it was just me being a wank, expecting dates etc.. sounds like maybe the college programs run pretty much the same way. Lord have mercy on me! It's hard enough with her so damn far away leaving my nest EMPTY! I'm just gonna have to accept the we jumped from the frying pan into the fire. I'm betting my CP's Daytona experience will be exactly as you described yours. Time to save for the Airfare JUST IN CASE she makes that mat. God forgive me if I'm secretly happy if she doesn't. I'm getting a glass of wine! [emoji13]

Thank YOU! Holy cow, I thought it was just me being a wank, expecting dates etc.. sounds like maybe the college programs run pretty much the same way. Lord have mercy on me! It's hard enough with her so damn far away leaving my nest EMPTY! I'm just gonna have to accept the we jumped from the frying pan into the fire. I'm betting my CP's Daytona experience will be exactly as you described yours. Time to save for the Airfare JUST IN CASE she makes that mat. God forgive me if I'm secretly happy if she doesn't. I'm getting a glass of wine! [emoji13]

I'm such a pessimist-I never book hotel till I know she made mat. Ya just never know in college. Nothing is guaranteed! I have driven each time she has gone to FL for NCA. It's amazing how much we have to figure out on our own!

Myrtle Beach! It's been super busy for them. CP said they worked from 8:30-10 last night and look to do the same today!

Oh I hope they ALL DO FREAKING AWESOME! Mine is NOT there. They took upperclassmen & I think one freshman who was in a stunt group with 3 upperclassmen SOMETHING about getting the # of kids paid for to go to camp being cut for this year ....THAT IS a whole other story that I don't know the entirety of so I shall leave it there!
Lol, but Freshmen rarely go to camp for
U of L. I'm keeping fingers crossed for a fantastic camp for your CP's!

Myrtle Beach! It's been super busy for them. CP said they worked from 8:30-10 last night and look to do the same today!

Wait I think it's on Flo Cheer! They're supposed to show Myrtle Beach camp on Flo Cheer!

I'm such a pessimist-I never book hotel till I know she made mat. Ya just never know in college. Nothing is guaranteed! I have driven each time she has gone to FL for NCA. It's amazing how much we have to figure out on our own!

Crap! I appreciate you College cheer moms SO MUCH! At least I can stop blaming my poor CP for not passing on info [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23] I swear we SHOULD do a seminar for next years newbies to this other planet called college cheer! It'd be short and honest!
"FORGET EVERYTHING you've learned about competitive cheer to date. Do NOT expect or Assume anything will be as you knew it b4. AND get refundable EVERYTHING because stuff changes at the whim of a magical warlock who must decide these things as there is NO Mortal taking responsibility for them!

Back