High School Color Guard Rivalry.

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

You're not the only one, I just imagine people wandering around with different colours on :/ ...

We have majorettes over here and it's kind of like baton twirling.. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong or if I've offended any majorettes lol. :)

Color Guard are the girls (or boys) who do the flag work during marching band routines. The twirl and flip them and so forth.

Examples of the other activities in the same "performance" realm as cheer:

Majorettes = Baton twirlers
Example: Mifflin County Majorettes - YouTube

Colorguard =Flag twirlers or plastic gun twirlers(usually during band performances)
Example: LSU Tiger Band & Color Guard Tigerama 11.17.08 Guitar Hero "Aerosmith - YouTube

Drill team = Dance teams from Texas, largely kick lines, wear cowboy boots and hat
Example: Clear Lake Falcon Flairs 2010-2011 Clear Creek Halftime Performance - YouTube

Dance team = Ttraditional dance teams from the rest of the country(kicks,turns,etc.)
Example: Rosary High School Small Varsity Jazz Finals 2012 - YouTube

Pep flags = twirlers of little flags, from the west coast, originates from Asia
Example: Channel Islands Short Flags 2011 2 Flags - YouTube

Hope that clears everything up a bit.

When I was in high school, the tryout dates for cheer were earliest in the semester, followed by drill team (dance) and then finally colorguard. Therefore we would have some girls tryout for cheer, not make it and then tryout for drill team, not make it and then end up on colorguard (they didn't really cut people). As a result, one or two girls would have bitter feelings towards cheer or dance, etc. but the majority of all 3 teams didn't think like that. On a whole, everyone was friends and respected each other.
SAME EXACT THING AT MY SCHOOL! lol
but Colorguard has Sign-Ups :)

You're not the only one, I just imagine people wandering around with different colours on :/ ...

We have majorettes over here and it's kind of like baton twirling.. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong or if I've offended any majorettes lol. :)
HAHAHAHAHAHA OMG. i am dying. (':

Examples of the other activities in the same "performance" realm as cheer:

Majorettes = Baton twirlers
Example: Mifflin County Majorettes - YouTube

Colorguard =Flag twirlers or plastic gun twirlers(usually during band performances)
Example: LSU Tiger Band & Color Guard Tigerama 11.17.08 Guitar Hero "Aerosmith - YouTube

Drill team = Dance teams from Texas, largely kick lines, wear cowboy boots and hat
Example: Clear Lake Falcon Flairs 2010-2011 Clear Creek Halftime Performance - YouTube

Dance team = Ttraditional dance teams from the rest of the country(kicks,turns,etc.)
Example: Rosary High School Small Varsity Jazz Finals 2012 - YouTube

Pep flags = twirlers of little flags, from the west coast, originates from Asia
Example: Channel Islands Short Flags 2011 2 Flags - YouTube

Hope that clears everything up a bit.

What about step teams? I think that's what they're called - are they the ones that do the clap and stomp type thing as they dance? :)

Our color guard is part of our band. And our band won a Grammy so they get a lot of respect from faculty and staff. Not really the student body. No one really cares... I'm really good friends with a girl who does guard and we discussed guard vs cheerleading.
It's not really that big of a deal because they won't know how difficult our sport is until they try

Yes! They stomp and clap to the rhythm and sometimes mix a bit of hip hop into the routines. Some of the primarily African American colleges are amazing at it!
Example: Alpha Kappa Alpha 1st Place Winners for Chicago Sprite Step Off - YouTube

That was so cool :) , and I loved their basket toss in heel boots too :D. I just attempted it but I looked more like I was trying to swat a fly :confused: and well just just say my clapping didn't have much rhythm either. But seriously I'd loved to be able to do that as good as them..

That was so cool :) , and I loved their basket toss in heel boots too :D. I just attempted it but I looked more like I was trying to swat a fly :confused: and well just just say my clapping didn't have much rhythm either. But seriously I'd loved to be able to do that as good as them..
Yeah, most of the time when those of us without African decent try to step, we look like crazy people. I've only seen a couple teams with primarily white girls that actually can step. The best one I've seen was a matrix themed one a couple of years ago at Sprite Step-Off (the big step competition in the U.S.) : Zeta Tau Alpha: Epsilon 1st Place Winners of Sprite Step-Off Challenge 2010 - YouTube

Yeah, most of the time when those of us without African decent try to step, we look like crazy people. I've only seen a couple teams with primarily white girls that actually can step. The best one I've seen was a matrix themed one a couple of years ago at Sprite Step-Off (the big step competition in the U.S.) : Zeta Tau Alpha: Epsilon 1st Place Winners of Sprite Step-Off Challenge 2010 - YouTube

Wow, that was crazy good :D , I guess it's like dancehall style dance which seems that the people that can do it well and make it look effortless are primarily of African decent?! I would love to be able to dance like that haha :). But are the boots they were specific for step or could they wear any sort of shoe? :D

Wow, that was crazy good :D , I guess it's like dancehall style dance which seems that the people that can do it well and make it look effortless are primarily of African decent?! I would love to be able to dance like that haha :). But are the boots they were specific for step or could they wear any sort of shoe? :D
Any type of shoe can be worn. I think it's just the thing to do at that particular competition. The younger kids, high school teams, and guys teams definitely do not wear those high heeled boots! haha

The color guard hates the cheer team at my school but the cheerleaders don't really bother getting involved. I think color guard dislikes cheer because most of the girls on color guard tried out for cheer but didn't make the team. Its a bummer they hate them so much because cheer has nothing against them!

Back