High School Color Guard Rivalry.

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

This is so weird.. I have alot of friends who cheer AND do winter guard (like competitive colorguard).. my college coach did both cheer & guard in high school and college.. I think both are great! It's time we all start respecting each other in the dance/cheer/gymnastics/guard world. We all fall under a similar grouping, and have a lot in common.. including that a lot of other people don't want to recognize us as a sport. All that hate is immature and brings a bad name to both cheerleading and guard. It takes talent to do either.

aw Thank you! this is my sisters old squad. This was the year after she graduated though. They really are one of the best in the South.

I was always jealous of majorettes. I would love to be able to twirl a baton like that! I wish they were more common in high schools.

I was always jealous of majorettes. I would love to be able to twirl a baton like that! I wish they were more common in high schools.
yea they are really common here in East Tennessee. My sister grew up from the age of 5 knowing she wanted to be a UT majorette. Sadly most colleges don't even have majorettes in their bands. It is definitely a lot harder than it looks. Every single one of these girls can do so much more, they only can do so much on concrete with a crowd so close to them (kinda makes it important to catch the baton). I wish more people knew about them.

There's definitely a stigma at my high school with color guard hating us. Now granted, most of it stems from the fact that the band in general hates us and since color guard is a part of band they just go along with it. There are exceptions, seeing as how one of my best friends is the color guard captain and she respects us completely. But there are many who can't get past the petty name calling, jealousy, and lack of respect for our sport. It's unfortunate and we (the cheerleaders) have never said a bad word about color guard but they're bent on hating us so what can we do? :p

yea they are really common here in East Tennessee. My sister grew up from the age of 5 knowing she wanted to be a UT majorette. Sadly most colleges don't even have majorettes in their bands. It is definitely a lot harder than it looks. Every single one of these girls can do so much more, they only can do so much on concrete with a crowd so close to them (kinda makes it important to catch the baton). I wish more people knew about them.

My coach was a majorette. She could twirl two batons at once and even twirl fire! I can't even imagine, I think it's so entertaining to watch. They don't really have any in Raleigh, North Carolina that I know of :\

At my school the color guard and cheerleaders are okay. I wouldn't say were are best friends, although I do have a few close friends in color guard, but we don't hate each other. The only thing that has really caused any controversy is for some reason the color guard is allowed to practice in sports bras when no other girls sports at the school can, including cheerleading.

At my school, instead of a dance team or color gaurd we have a pompon team. In Michigan, they're pretty popular and are isolated to Michigan. JV pompon functions as a dance team, performing to CDs at halftime football games and basketball. Varsity pompon performs with the band. I think a lot of the rivalry is that the pompon teams are looked down upon by the entire school. (I would know, I just switched from pompon to cheer)
Example of pompon (this was the varsity state winner this year)

Funny, I was asked to join our color guard....
I do think that at my school there is a bit of angsty feelings between athletics and the band, but it is nothing new. This problem has been around in my school ever since we had a football coach change the football team's colors from red and blue to black and gold. Every other sport soon followed in the color change, except for the "academic" branch of the school: marching band, color guard, forensics team, and the drama department. It's so divided because if you earn a varsity jacket from color guard, you cannot get the black and gold jacket, you must buy the red and blue. We have a few girls involved in both cheer and color guard. One of the girls bought two varsity jackets so she could wear the appropriate colors depending on where she was and who she was with.

Wow, that was crazy good :D , I guess it's like dancehall style dance which seems that the people that can do it well and make it look effortless are primarily of African decent?! I would love to be able to dance like that haha :). But are the boots they were specific for step or could they wear any sort of shoe? :D
The boots are primarily a sorority thing. Helps make the steps louder. Any kind there is no specific boot made for stepping (that I know of at least!) We always used to learn the routine in normal tennis shoes and then would start training in the boots to get used to them. I swear stepping is the best workout!

This is a little bit more of a traditional/collegiate majorette style. The other video adds more dance, this is mainly strictly twirling.
Love gameday in Knoxville! I was singing rocky top along with it! This so put me in the mood for fall!

Our colorguard hates us for no apparent reason. I'm friends with a few girls and when I asked them they said that they don't hate me they just hate "cheer me" and when I asked them why they couldn't come up with an answer. I know a few are bitter because they made cheer when they were freshman but haven't made it since so I guess they teach everyone else on guard to hate us...

I've never heard anything about the color guard being hateful towards cheerleaders at my school, but recently dancers are acting like they're better than cheerleaders and being kind of rude. Ironically, most of the girls that are saying this have never cheered a day in their life and know nothing about it, which is what annoys me.

Guard isn't big in our area so there's not much of a rivalry. There is a dance cheer rivalry at the local high school here though, and it stems from the cheer side, not the dancers. The dance team is actually almost completely made up of former cheerleaders & current allstars. The cheer team isn't any good so they all dance and the girls that cheer typically aren't as talented. The dance team has 15 standing tucks and 4 fulls, cheer team not even full team handsprings...

I think everyone in dance, cheer, gymnastics, guard, majorettes, whatever should support one another! Goodness knows we get enough crap from everyone outside our worlds, we don't need hate from each other!

Back