High School Color Guard Rivalry.

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Actually, the second picture is the "Golden Girls," not the dance team. They're a "danceline" according to their website. I'm not really sure what that is, but they perform with the school's band. The Tiger Girls are LSU's dance team.

I always thought they used batons, but I just looked them up and they don't. It kind of reminds me of the girls in Drumline if you've ever seen that movie. I guess it makes sense because then they would technically be apart of the band? I'm not sure why they have Cheer, Dance, Color Guard, & Golden Girls...? But I think they're cool! And very good at what they do.

Reactions: Ems
At our school there isn't a huge rivalry, but they just don't really associate. There are girls who are majorettes and who cheer but nobody does guard and cheer. But majorettes and guard don't really get along because to be honest majorettes get favored. So the guard doesn't like it.

I always thought they used batons, but I just looked them up and they don't. It kind of reminds me of the girls in Drumline if you've ever seen that movie. I guess it makes sense because then they would technically be apart of the band? I'm not sure why they have Cheer, Dance, Color Guard, & Golden Girls...? But I think they're cool! And very good at what they do.
Yeah, I've seen videos of them, and they just stand in a line and do arm motions. LSU is a pretty big and very spirited school, so I guess they can afford it and have all the interest for all the spirit oriented programs.

My freshman year I was on the drill team, which at our school is called drill but is actually a pom team (its basically cheer without stunts). But almost all the girls on drill hated cheer because they stole our routines, moves and music a lot! Plus they don't even do stunts or tumbling! I don't think they should be allowed to be called a cheer squad

Actually, the second picture is the "Golden Girls," not the dance team. They're a "danceline" according to their website. I'm not really sure what that is, but they perform with the school's band. The Tiger Girls are LSU's dance team.
Golden girls are a dance line, which is really more like a drill team. They have a specific skill set that works for football style dance. Kicks and leaps are important, along with sharp arm movements they don't need advanced jazz skilss like turn combos. Tiger girls are a full on dance team that do full package routines that cover the entire jazz/hiphop skill set. They have a much bigger skill range.

Our colorguard doesn't hate us, but they definitely think they are the bomb. Along with our percussion -__- it's so annoying they think those are harder and more of a sport than cheerleading. But, I am friends with a few of them. Being in band and doing the field show with them in my cheer uniform, they have given me more respect throughout the years, and since our team was at our high point this year, a lot of the school, especially them, have been respecting us more for the athleticism we have. Still a lot of mean people still.
You really don't understand ow athletic guard can be until you do it either. It takes a LOT of stamina to make it through an 11 minute show on guard. We had a training and weights program for guard in college, and frankly worked our butts off to keep our spots in the show. There was PLENTY of competition for those spots. it wasnt just for girls that couldnt hack it for cheer or dance. I chose guard over dance in college because it was more fun for me. i think it is hard for either group to really get what the other does until you have been a part of both. I see cheer in a completely different light now that CP is a part of it.

You really don't understand ow athletic guard can be until you do it either. It takes a LOT of stamina to make it through an 11 minute show on guard. We had a training and weights program for guard in college, and frankly worked our butts off to keep our spots in the show. There was PLENTY of competition for those spots. it wasnt just for girls that couldnt hack it for cheer or dance. I chose guard over dance in college because it was more fun for me. i think it is hard for either group to really get what the other does until you have been a part of both. I see cheer in a completely different light now that CP is a part of it.
This. I was on my schools pom team, and now I'm on the cheer team. Whenever either group makes a comment on how difficult the other activity is it makes me really angry. They don't know, and they won't know until they've done it.

My daughters school has the same idiotic issue between the cheerleaders and color guard. The sports bra issue has come up with the cheerleaders and my question to them is, "do you have to practice 8-12 hours a day outside in 90+ degree weather on asphalt?" Um, no, so get over it.

The real issue boils down to insecurities and boys. Girls treat boys like fire hydrants these days, and once marked, don't look their way. Heaven forbid, another group might get to wear a short skirt or skimpy outfit and prance around in front of what some girls feel is their territory. The real question is, "why are some girls so insecure when the attention is not always on them?" HS boys aren't stupid, they know what this "arguement" is over and it sure isn't about who is more athletic. :rolleyes:

I'm on guard this year and I have to say that my friends that are on the team with me HATE the cheerleaders. They say they're annoying and stuck up and sl*ts and all they do is stand there and look pretty. They get mad at me when I yell cheers with them when we're just sitting in the stands. They also get mad because pretty much no funding goes to guard and they think it goes to cheer when most of it goes to football. I miss cheer so much because there was honestly less drama. I love my friends but this argument over who works harder is rediculous.

lol, i have never actually seen a color guard team. Buuut so far as i know they twirl around flags which might be hard (if you have absolutely no arm strength at all). I personally dont see how they think guard is harder than cheer because we throw girls up in the air and catch them, we tumble, and we scream out cheers like its nobody's business. Like if they drop their flag then they can just pick it back up, but if we drop a flyer she could be seriously injured.
I'm just saying we have girls' lives in our hands and they are holding a flag....

lol, i have never actually seen a color guard team. Buuut so far as i know they twirl around flags which might be hard (if you have absolutely no arm strength at all). I personally dont see how they think guard is harder than cheer because we throw girls up in the air and catch them, we tumble, and we scream out cheers like its nobody's business. Like if they drop their flag then they can just pick it back up, but if we drop a flyer she could be seriously injured.
I'm just saying we have girls' lives in our hands and they are holding a flag....
Those flags are heavy! We also have riffles made out of wood and sabers (swords) that could cut your ear or nose off if you don't catch it correctly. Here is a local band from my area that has an amazing guard

Yeah our colorguard hates us. During the fall season we have to practice outside usually because both of our gyms are taken, and the marching band also practices outside. We practice on the track and they're on the field but they still try to tell us that we have to leave. We get glares from the colorguard and hear them talking about us sometimes and really I have no idea why.

Our colorguard is all the band girls who think they're coordinated. They're also dancers at the only dance studio in town, which btw is not very....good. Anyway, they say if cheerleading were easy, it'd be called colorguard. They can't even get their flag motions together XD

The only rivalry ive ever experienced between sports was in middle school it was Cheerleading vs Dance Team.. I believe they had dance team tryouts first and whoever didn't make it sometimes went to the cheer squad.. (actually, we only had like 5 girls on the cheer team) This was of course when I wasn't in cheer, and the squad was lame anyway, the motions weren't tight, the little 'routines' they did weren't good, I actually felt bad. Our whole school hated the cheer squad & loved the dance team. (the dance team was amazing though.)
Then again, cheerleading isn't as big in Wisconsin as it is in the south...:rolleyes:

wow you girls are harsh! looks like everyone just talks badly about the team they aren't a part of. It doesn't matter, dance, cheer, guard... you should take all the energy you are wasting on hating everyone else and put it into your sport. Life is too short to sit around and bash everyone else. Plus, the more you gossip about how much you don't think guard or dance is as good as cheer, the worse it makes cheerleaders look. Everyone needs to help and get cheerleading away from the bad reputation that some people gave it in the past(ex: all they do is stand there and look pretty and date the entire football team) The more cheerleaders promote positivity about the sport, the better. And that starts with not talking badly about the other sports at the school.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android || Upgrade Your Account!

Back