All-Star Comeback After Knee Injury

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Mar 22, 2018
I am a 20 year old Athlete and I am just into my fourth season of cheer. I am currently on an International Open Coed Level 3 Team. In early August I was throwing front punches, on one attempt I heard a crack on take off was committed and landed the skill. I landed on my feet I'm not aware if my knee gave way or I just fell onto the floor in pain.
Couldn't move for a good half hour, then iced it and went to Minor Injuries. Was diagnosed with a MCL tear and was put on crutches. Went to Physio was told MCL was fine and it was a LCL and ACL tear and referred to Orthopaedic Surgeon. Found out its an LCL, ACL and Meniscus tear and will need surgery. I am planning on finishing the season (in July) with a knee brace on (no tumbling) and then having surgery.

The reason I am finishing the season is because I fear this injury has ended my cheer career.
I just want some advice really on the chances of me returning to the sport? has it been done? recovery times post surgery? especially with my age and any stories of 'coping' with the injury while finishing the season.

Please, Please, Please do not blast me for finishing the season. I am AN ADULT and I have made a decision for my own welfare. The reason I want advice is because while my surgeon has given me a good indication, Cheerleading isn't a massive sport in the UK and so his opinion was not really tailored to the sport of Cheer and more just in general for high intensity sports.

Last edited:
This really is a question only your surgeon can answer. Tears vary greatly, and so do the surgeries, healing time, PT and risks of re-tearing. While your surgeon may not know a lot about cheer, it is the planting, twisting and types of impact that is so common in many sports that he will use to gauge whether or not you should return. I am so sorry, I hope you can make a full recovery.

I haven't had knee problems (knock on wood), but I've had teammates who have undergone knee surgery and returned to cheer. They were usually out for the rest of the season due to surgery, and have come back with a brace and lots of physio. Only your surgeon can tell you if you're done for good, and how you feel. Some of my teammates have returned to tumbling, some haven't and some haven't come back. It's very individualized. If you do want to come back, be sure to follow instructions from your doctor and physio and do what they tell you to do.

my daughter at 17 had 2 surgeries, one for miniscus and then one for acl, same injury. Even though her doctor cleared her 6 months after, her coach had her take it slow, and not do twisting tumbling until few months later. She came back doing everything and is still doing it at 21. Biggest advice, dont rush it, do all neccesary PT and listen to your Dr!!!

Back