All-Star Communication

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

As a high school coach, the info I sent for things was extremely detailed.... times, addresses, clothing, what to bring, what not to bring... it was sectioned out and clearly defined. Typically questions didn't come up in anything I addressed.

However, any other questions 24-48 hours unless an emergent situation, where typically the person contacting would use every method of communication possible. I also had an out of office for any time I may not have immediate access or was on personal vacation!

No one ever said I didn't get back to them... that I do know! :)

As a professional, it is still your job to respond in a timely and professional manner, no matter how many times you have said it before. That response could be as simple as referring them to the original source of the info via resending an email.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
"I get that completely but understand for every logical question by a parent there are 4 others that make you wonder is this even real life. I respond to every text, groupme, personal email, gym account email, insta DM, and Facebook message under the sun personally because I only have 60 kids so I have the luxury but some really make you wanna pull your hair out."

I've had university profs have the rule 'If it has been outlined in the syllabus, I will not answer any emails regard it". And I would be okay with that rule being implemented in cheer gyms regarding the registration package. If the info was given to you and you're just to lazy to look- why should the coach take the time to do it for you?

Now, if you have a question directly related to something you see & you need clarification- that should be answered by the coach. But like at school, you should indicate that you have put forth the effort to find the answer and the reason that you have come up short of an answer.

"I get that completely but understand for every logical question by a parent there are 4 others that make you wonder is this even real life. I respond to every text, groupme, personal email, gym account email, insta DM, and Facebook message under the sun personally because I only have 60 kids so I have the luxury but some really make you wanna pull your hair out."

Timely AND professional was my point. Some gym owners are neither when the perceive the question as redundant or frivolous,

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I can understand some situations. There are parents that have a history of not reading their emails even though they are told repeatedly it's in the email. There are parents that have been told what "mandatory" means and have been given the exceptions, but always think their Suzie's weekly "once in a lifetime event" should be acceptable to miss. I, personally, would have a problem not returning an email, but I understand why after awhile they would respond slowly, or not at all, to certain repeat offenders. Many of these coaches have daytime jobs, coach at night and get home late, their time is valuable too.

I can understand some situations. There are parents that have a history of not reading their emails even though they are told repeatedly it's in the email. There are parents that have been told what "mandatory" means and have been given the exceptions, but always think their Suzie's weekly "once in a lifetime event" should be acceptable to miss. I, personally, would have a problem not returning an email, but I understand why after awhile they would respond slowly, or not at all, to certain repeat offenders. Many of these coaches have daytime jobs, coach at night and get home late, their time is valuable too.

I remember as a team mom I sent out detailed and brief instructions about where to be and when for competition. One parent in particular would text me and ask "just give me the details. I don't want to read through all that". Basically saying that my time isn't as valuable as theirs. So rude!

I remember as a team mom I sent out detailed and brief instructions about where to be and when for competition. One parent in particular would text me and ask "just give me the details. I don't want to read through all that". Basically saying that my time isn't as valuable as theirs. So rude!

This would be the first parent to also ask something that would have been covered had they read the whole email.

We see that all the time at my job. We send out monthly emails just to let the employees know of any important changes for the month and inevitably we get 500 questions always from the same people.

This is why I quit typing up emails that took me an hour to create. I stopped covering every detail because someone would always ask me for it again anyway.

I started giving the most basic, most important info: where to be and when. Everything else I deem important I send out in chunks via group text and Facebook posts. I just include links to the event websites for competitions now. I find people digest these shorter tidbits much easier and quicker and I have way fewer questions these days.

The shorter, 5 minute emails have saved my sanity because now I'm not as annoyed with the questions. No more bolded, listed, carefully crafted (and lengthy) emails from me!

Who has time to read (or write) an email book these days anyway?

This is why I quit typing up emails that took me an hour to create. I stopped covering every detail because someone would always ask me for it again anyway.

I started giving the most basic, most important info: where to be and when. Everything else I deem important I send out in chunks via group text and Facebook posts. I just include links to the event websites for competitions now. I find people digest these shorter tidbits much easier and quicker and I have way fewer questions these days.

The shorter, 5 minute emails have saved my sanity because now I'm not as annoyed with the questions. No more bolded, listed, carefully crafted (and lengthy) emails from me!

Who has time to read (or write) an email book these days anyway?
Exactly. We just need the info. Our team mom posts it in GroupMe and in our Facebook group. Done and done.

Just please don't type an e-mail book with all the details for all the teams going to a given competition and then send the same text out via GroupMe. I appreciate that some people want texts instead of e-mail, but if all I need is "level 4 arrival time 6:30, hair in high, curled pony, purple Bow", just text me that!

I guess I am that rare creature... I enjoy receiving a long detailed email or letter with plenty of information, please send me a list of directions, items to bring, even what food to pack for my child... I will print it out, highlight it in 3 different colors and will share the information and point out where things can be found in the letter, if someone have a question... Hopefully, saving the coaches time and parents the heartaches on competition days...

Please, I think we need to communicate more and continue writing those long letter, so you (coaches/team moms) have evidence that information have been properly disseminated to the herd(group).

PS: I personally do not think it is rude to respond with a forward email/letter to the person who is asking something that was already addressed in a letter or email... Writing a detailed letter/email 1 time and resend the same email/letter again and again is less work. jmo

For some reason people fear over communicating and as result they communicate less. 90% of conflicts stem from poor communication and assumptions. Being proactive rather than reactive will reduce the chance of a conflict. So get the information out there and have it in multiple places. If anything we'be trained people to just ask for the info because they aren't used to receiving it.

Is it annoying when the same people ask the same questions despite being told countless times...YES! Is it par for the job...YES! Regardless if you find it annoying it's part of the job you signed up and it needs to be done. Running a business involves customer service but for some reason they just want the money from the customer without providing all that entails with the service.

Timely responses to emails within a reasonable timeframe isn't an unrealistic expectation. Coaches and owners not responding in a timely manner or not responding at all because they deem it repetitive or don't feel like it because they already sent something out...that's not acceptable. It's part of customer service.

People are dumb! People receive the message differently. Putting it out there in various places will ensure that more people receive the message. Just because you sent something out in an email or text doesn't mean it was clearly understood. Vague messages or messages that are missing information are also part of poor communication.

Think the message through. Ask yourself clarifying questions of what you'd expect people to ask you. What are the common questions you always get asked and make sure you put that in your responses.

Email it, text it, post it, and send it out a few times not just once. Maybe once in a big email and then sent out in tidbits through other channels. The more you communicate the more people will be reassured. You will not get complaints that you over communicated!!!!! Is it more work...YES but you'all thank yourselves later when the questions die down and people are in the loop. It's all part of reassuring parents and instilling trust. It goes a long way.

As for the whole "I'm too busy to do that" find somebody to do it for you or find the time. Your time isn't any more precious that the next person's. Poor communication may be easier for you but it kills the time of everybody else around you!

Back