All-Star Communication

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

It may not be right, but in most of my professional communication, I assume the reader has the comprehension of a 10 year old. Information does not need to be wordy or complicated, and when it is, the message gets lost. I'm also big on bullet points and lists.

I do think, and this is society collectively, we're so *immediate*. We have access to virtually anything in seconds with our phones and computers. Could I reply to an email the second I get it, probably. Will I? Unlikely.

People are totally right to expect a response, but content dependant, it can wait 24-48 hours.

I did the whole lengthy emails thing. When I stopped no one said anything. I still answer all the same questions (happily, that is part of my job). I find it saved me more time and headache than the detailed emails. If parents miss them they haven't said anything to me about it and they're not shy about expressing their feelings.

Timely responses to emails within a reasonable timeframe isn't an unrealistic expectation. Coaches and owners not responding in a timely manner or not responding at all because they deem it repetitive or don't feel like it because they already sent something out...that's not acceptable. It's part of customer service.

People are dumb! People receive the message differently. Putting it out there in various places will ensure that more people receive the message. Just because you sent something out in an email or text doesn't mean it was clearly understood. Vague messages or messages that are missing information are also part of poor communication.

As for the whole "I'm too busy to do that" find somebody to do it for you or find the time. Your time isn't any more precious that the next person's. Poor communication may be easier for you but it kills the time of everybody else around you!

I agree timely and clear communication should be a no-brainer. However, not responding to repetitive questions that are clearly stated in emails and rules may find a parent in a situation where the coaches and gym feel their "dumb" is not worth the effort any longer. Good customer service dictates making sure your customer is notified of what is needed and required. As a retired long term corporate customer service exec. I will tell you there are more people that get irritated with repeated and multiple notifications than the "dumb people" that complain they never saw it, refused to read it, or daydreamed through verbal communication. I had no problem as a customer service executive stating, "I'm sorry, our business does not have the ability to satisfy your needs." after a person received a pamphlet and was told twice via sales associate and phone call what to expect and what was needed. That "dumb" customer is costing the other customers and company a lot of money and time in repeating information that the majority is taking care of the first time. A disability or inability is different. But, lazy, didn't feel like reading, want things spoon fed, want to argue with rules, want everything to work around their schedule, is not a reasonable consumer request when it entails other customers, time and money....unless of course you don't mind paying a lot more for others stupidity. They can hire as many people as we are willing to pay for.

Back