All-Star Competing For 2 Gyms In One Season?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

May 18, 2010
I know there are rules pertaining to Worlds, but what about lower levels?

If I had a last minute need for a backspot on my J1 team, and had another coach offer me a kid for a national, could I theoretically take that kid and put her in a uniform and then return her to her own gym for their competition the next weekend?

Andre RulesGuy

Based on what the USASF age grid says, I think you should be okay as long as her other gym is not competing at the same event.

From the last page of the age grid:
"An individual will not be permitted to crossover from one program to another within the same event"

I know there are rules pertaining to Worlds, but what about lower levels?

If I had a last minute need for a backspot on my J1 team, and had another coach offer me a kid for a national, could I theoretically take that kid and put her in a uniform and then return her to her own gym for their competition the next weekend?

Andre RulesGuy

Yes, an athlete that won't be competing at Worlds can compete with as many gyms as desired throughout the season as long as it's not for 2 gyms at the same event.

What if the girl is on a restricted 5 (non-worlds eligible) and switches to a gym and gets put on a level 5 (worlds eligible) hypothetical question of course. Would that fall under legal?

What if the girl is on a restricted 5 (non-worlds eligible) and switches to a gym and gets put on a level 5 (worlds eligible) hypothetical question of course. Would that fall under legal?

You'd need a release from the first gym. If you have competed with gym A at any time on any level, you must have a release to compete at worlds that season.

Just curious..how does this rule work with the kids that are on the Woodward team? Does that not qualify as "a second gym"?

Woodward is never really trying for a bid to worlds (or even a real awards placement?), and I'm pretty sure that all of the coaches at the athletes primary gym sign off on it, because I know competitions interfere, and that has to be known and prioritized. It's not a "real" team, because they're more so just promoting Woodward camps.

But, my real question was what about Rec teams/allstar? Can a person do both at the same event?

Here in South Florida, this season it is like a wardrobe change. I have never seen so many kids change teams mid-season like this. It is for legit reasons in a lot of cases but when we first started out we had people quit before season started and after choreo but never in the middle of season. It is crazy. I have seen parents pull kids because they weren't get showcased enough in the routine and it wasn't worth the drive, etc.... Crazy. My husbands rule is you cheer in the county you live in and we don't drive longer than 30 mins each way. This year I am bless with a 6 mile drive and 10 mins each way! Loving it! We get great talent coming in the door every week. So, gyms treat your kids and parents right, they will leave.

What if there is currently an athlete on a worlds team and then goes and competes on a level 1-4 team? How does that work? Can you really be on Gym A's worlds team this week and Gym B's level 2 team the next weekend and then 2 weeks down the road turn around and compete with Gym A Worlds team again?

Just curious..how does this rule work with the kids that are on the Woodward team? Does that not qualify as "a second gym"?
I've been wondering this for a while. Hopefully somebody who knows what theyre talking about has some input.
The Woodward camp brochure says that the team "competes and performs at events to highlight the high skill level and fun attitude of staff and selected campers from Woodward Camp" and that "the main goal of competition is demonstration, entertainment and fun" so it does not seem like this qualifes as a second gym.

What if there is currently an athlete on a worlds team and then goes and competes on a level 1-4 team? How does that work? Can you really be on Gym A's worlds team this week and Gym B's level 2 team the next weekend and then 2 weeks down the road turn around and compete with Gym A Worlds team again?
As long as a release is received from BOTH programs sounds like it follows within the rules.

Fame has an athlete on their world's team and Camp Woodward's team. He is still eligible for world's with fame. I don't think there is any conflict. Not that I'm aware of.

Back