All-Star Competing For Free

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Dec 28, 2009
I wanted to see what people's opinions are on this. Do you think it's ok for an EP to allow a team to compete for free to ensure there is competition in the division?

For example, let's say there is only one team in senior 1. EP calls up big gym with a known senior 1 and allows them to compete for free so that the other team is not going against themselves. This benefits the EP still because they will get admission from every parent that attends, but the original gym has paid $50+ per girl for the chance at a trophy, and the other has paid nothing. Fair or not?

I don't like that. While yes, the kids loving going against other teams, I don't think it's fair that you pay and they don't.

What if an EP calls up a small gym and lets them compete for free, but still makes the big gym pay? Does that change your answer?

Nope. I don't care if it's big gym or small gym.

Here is the thing-as a gym owner it makes me mad. I don't like that I pay $50+ per cheerleader, and this team is going to get the same chance to win the trophy and they've paid $0. Even worse is if they win-my fees just bought their trophy! If you beat my team, that's fine but on my dime? Weird. Also, my kids LOVE competition. We don't get to compete extra just because we know the right people and sometimes we get to compete for free.

However, as an EP, I would totally do it. If admission is $10/parent and there are 20 kids on the team, you are looking at possibly another $400 in admission, maybe even more with grandparents, friends, etc. It has cost you nothing, because you have a trophy for the winner either way.

Nope. I don't care if it's big gym or small gym.

Here is the thing-as a gym owner it makes me mad. I don't like that I pay $50+ per cheerleader, and this team is going to get the same chance to win the trophy and they've paid $0. Even worse is if they win-my fees just bought their trophy! If you beat my team, that's fine but on my dime? Weird. Also, my kids LOVE competition. We don't get to compete extra just because we know the right people and sometimes we get to compete for free.

However, as an EP, I would totally do it. If admission is $10/parent and there are 20 kids on the team, you are looking at possibly another $400 in admission, maybe even more with grandparents, friends, etc. It has cost you nothing, because you have a trophy for the winner either way.
I can see both sides. I agree, as an EP, it makes sense. I know we have competed against gyms who were invited to a comp at no charge, and it depends on what type of competition it is as to whether I think it is acceptable or not. I remember there being a LOT of discussion about a gym receiving a paid bid at a comp last year (I think Xtreme Spirit in WI and if I knew how to copy and past the link to the thread I would), and the talk was that not only did they compete for free, that the team also received free lodging from the EP. I have an issue with this. I think any time there are bids involved it should be against USASF rules for an EP to provide any discount except what is stated on their website (i.e. early registration). However for smaller, regional comps I don't really have an issue with it.

Not really the same thing, but my team was supposed to attend a competition but there were girls that also had an all star competition that day. The all star competition was being held by their all star gym. So they let our teams compete for free so that the girls could be there for the all star performance (just exhibition) and high school competition.

think it is acceptable or not. I remember there being a LOT of discussion about a gym receiving a paid bid at a comp last year (I think Xtreme Spirit in WI and if I knew how to copy and past the link to the thread I would), and the talk was that not only did they compete for free, that the team also received free lodging from the EP..

Wasn't that Top Gun?

If they only invited one team, 20 athletes aren't paying, but definitely no lodging or anything should be provided, I wouldn't be upset. I would just hope they would keep CP's team in mind for the next time they are looking to fill a spot with the same deal for them. For me, the one paying, I'd rather they have a team to compete against than not, but I'd definitely bring it up to EP that if they have another event close to you that you'd be very interested at first offer of the same deal for one of your teams. I would not be happy if the entire program got to go for free.

I didn't even know this happened, but I'm sure it does just to get people to attend a competition.

I don't like it from the athlete side. If I'm paying, everyone should be paying. If anything, if the freebie team wins they shouldn't get the jacket or tee shirt or whatever if they haven't paid for the entry fee. Yes, that's not too fair to the kids competing, but it also wasnt fair to the other team that DID pay that the EP brought in another team just to provide competition. Maybe they were one of those gyms that only had that competition on the schedule so their kids could win a tee shirt or something because they didn't have competition.

Not that I think that's the best way to go about "winning"...but that's a whole other thread...

I get why an EP would do it...the almighty dollar, but small or large, I think if they didn't pay they shouldn't get the benefits from winning....and I think everyone should be paying the same thing.

If the EP is willing to take a hit up front, why not spread it out among both the teams? Bring the other one in at half price and refund half the fee to the gym that paid in full. It's the same deficit to the EP on the front end, but it's spread evenly among the two teams in question....and they still get the entry fees off two sets of parents and fans.

If the EP is willing to take a hit up front, why not spread it out among both the teams? Bring the other one in at half price and refund half the fee to the gym that paid in full. It's the same deficit to the EP on the front end, but it's spread evenly among the two teams in question....and they still get the entry fees off two sets of parents and fans.

Because they HOPE the other gyms don't find out... ;)

Because they HOPE the other gyms don't find out... ;)
Probably true. This makes year seven of our family in competitive cheer and I totally didn't know this kind of thing went on. I know it's never happened with us, we've never added a competition mid season and I've paid all the fees for the ones were going to, including crossover fees.

If we ever got comped one, as a paying parent I didn't know about it and would be LIVID if that had happened and our gym quietly kept my money. (and for the record i dont think our gym would do that) i Know we've been asked to come back to a competition we dropped, but we never picked it back up. It wouldn't surprise me if they put the deal out there and we just said no.

There are two sides to this issue, so I'm gonna straddle the fence:
How is this any different than a gym owner giving one athlete a break in tuition for one month or scholarshipping that athlete, if it's in the best interest of the team or the program? That isn't fair to the athlete that came in to pay full price, but sometimes it's necessary...

That said, offering 'free' anything is a slippery slope. Once news of that arrangement gets out, the satisfied customer that didn't have to pay is outnumbered by the amount of angry customers that are now resentful they weren't offered the same opportunity.

At NCA All-Star Nationals in Dallas, we do not believe in 'under the table' deals or discounts. Any discount we offer (i.e. in 2009 when we gave a coed discount) is offered fairly and consistently to every program that meets the criteria. How can an Event Producer reassure a customer that all teams are being treated fairly when they take the mat when teams aren't being treated fairly when they register and pay.

There are two sides to this issue, so I'm gonna straddle the fence:
How is this any different than a gym owner giving one athlete a break in tuition for one month or scholarshipping that athlete, if it's in the best interest of the team or the program? That isn't fair to the athlete that came in to pay full price, but sometimes it's necessary...

How can an Event Producer reassure a customer that all teams are being treated fairly when they take the mat when teams aren't being treated fairly when they register and pay.

Back