High School Competition Routine Order

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Be aware of the rules of your competition with regards to your cheer's placement. There is a reason why all UCA teams put it in the middle (it's required to be there)
Wait, really? Is that true? I feel like I've seen some teams at UCA start off with a cheer.

If you're doing a pyramid ending or not, it better hit. Nothing worse than a drop in a routine. Falls in a routine are the fault of the coach. Athletes not prepared

Agree, although I don't always feel falls are the direct reflection of the coach. A coach should be smart enough to know how to place skills in their routine that continue to build to confidence. Sometimes drops happen and that make the team stronger and to push, work harder, reevaluate, etc.

We typically do the cheer first when the girls are at peak energy, so they're at their loudest! We do the dance last because we want them to have fun with it, and finish strong and hitting the dance at the end is always their favorite part (for most of them).

The cheer is absolutely not required to be in the middle. There is a requirement of a cheer. 1:30 max of music, and cheer. Seen plenty of teams start w/ cheer at UCA nationals.
Okay that's what I thought too! I was just thinking... I watched last year and saw plenty start with a cheer and looked at the rules and it doesn't designate where it needs to be.

I've seen many teams do the cheer first. I remember growing up watching OHIO always start with the cheer and I loved it! Back when I started coaching UCA teams, I played with the idea. I was advised by many whose opinions I value to not open with the cheer, so we never have. Our cheers always get perfect or close to perfect scores, so we stick with what we know works.

As for ending, we do the typical pyramid. Reason is because the UCA dances are typically 2 -8 counts and IMO thats not a great ending. In allstars you can have fun, long, high energy dances that make a statement at the end. Hard to get that out of 2 8 counts, so we do pyramid to leave our last impression.

Back