OT Computers/laptops/notebooks

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic
Nov 18, 2010
So I'm in the hunt for a new laptop. However, it really won't be used for much other than music/itunes and internet. I don't have cable, and I just stream tv and movies from the internet. Anyone have any good recommendations for cheap computers that would be good for what I'll be doing with it? Any tech-savvy users input would be appreciated (I'm looking at you Ashley and kingston :) )

So I'm in the hunt for a new laptop. However, it really won't be used for much other than music/itunes and internet. I don't have cable, and I just stream tv and movies from the internet. Anyone have any good recommendations for cheap computers that would be good for what I'll be doing with it? Any tech-savvy users input would be appreciated (I'm looking at you Ashley and kingston :) )

budget?

I just got a dell 14z Inspiron for $430 from Walmart and LOVE IT!

Thanks! I'll have to look at Walmart. I didn't even think of going to those type of stores...just manufacturers. I just dont know how simple of a computer I can get away with lol

Thanks! I'll have to look at Walmart. I didn't even think of going to those type of stores...just manufacturers. I just dont know how simple of a computer I can get away with lol

If you can wait until Windows 8.

If you can wait until Windows 8.

I can definitely wait. I have one that I use for school, I just want to start separating them to keep away from all the malware and junk I sometimes get from those sites. Thanks!!

I'm not the best at giving computer advice, but pretty much any budget laptop will work. You probably want a i3 processor, but I think that's pretty standard. Maybe a slightly better video card to handle the streaming, but you're not gaming, so don't worry too much about that. Basically, don't get a netbook. An iPad could work, especially since you have another one for school.

I usually try and stear clear of walmart/best buy/etc. They'll fill the laptop with a ton of crappy software that you'll have to remove to get the best performance and they'll try and sell you on warranties and services you don't need.

I'm not the best at giving computer advice, but pretty much any budget laptop will work. You probably want a i3 processor, but I think that's pretty standard. Maybe a slightly better video card to handle the streaming, but you're not gaming, so don't worry too much about that. Basically, don't get a netbook.

I usually try and stear clear of walmart/best buy/etc. They'll fill the laptop with a ton of crappy software that you'll have to remove to get the best performance and they'll try and sell you on warranties and services you don't need.

This helps a lot as far as what "stuff" I need!! Thank you!!

Is there a way I can hook an iPad up to my tv?

I'm pretty sure you can, you'd just need an adapter from Apple (similar to the adaptor I have for my macbook).

There are other ways to stream it to your TV, but I think you need an apple tv for that.

Also, regardless of where you get your laptop from, you should always remove all that crapware software that you're not going to use. A lot of it starts up when you turn on your computer and makes it boot slower. Likewise, you don't need to pay for anti-virus, Microsoft has free anti-virus called Microsoft Security Essentials that works just fine.

I'm pretty sure you can, you'd just need an adapter from Apple (similar to the adaptor I have for my macbook).

There are other ways to stream it to your TV, but I think you need an apple tv for that.

Also, regardless of where you get your laptop from, you should always remove all that crapware software that you're not going to use. A lot of it starts up when you turn on your computer and makes it boot slower. Likewise, you don't need to pay for anti-virus, Microsoft has free anti-virus called Microsoft Security Essentials that works just fine.

An iPad sounds like it would probably be a better option then. thank you so much for your help guys!!!

An iPad sounds like it would probably be a better option then. thank you so much for your help guys!!!

I normally never would recommend an iPad as a primary device, but it seems like it would work for you since you already have a laptop if you need to use it. You'll obviously have to put your itunes library on the laptop, but you could keep it in an external harddrive.

And I'm eh about Kingston's apple TV comment. Cordless is a nice feature, but most of the apps on the apple tv you can watch on your ipad anyway.

Back