All-Star Concerned About New Gym

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Aug 24, 2016
My CP switched from gymnastics to cheer last year. She did prep, because she started late in the season. After reading the forums here, I moved to her to a new gym because I saw some red flags at the old one.

Due to our schedule and her age, I wanted her to do prep for another year. She started tumbling classes at the new gym last spring, and I let them know about our interest in the prep team. There was some info regarding the prep team on the website, and I spoke with two different people about the practices, etc. so, prep team finally starts, and wow, it’s a train wreck. None of the info I was originally given was correct. Had I known how different it was, I would’ve probably put CP back at the old gym. My friend’s CP is on the other prep team at the new gym, and they started practices over the summer. That team still hasn’t started working their routine.

Practices for CP’s team started in OctThis gym has an amazing reputation at their other locations, but either I have expectations that are too high, or this loacation has issues.

We did team gymnastics for 3 years, so I know how gyms work. I get the politics, the crazy coaches and ridiculous schedules. But, this is just crazy. NOTHING is run well. I want to leave, but CP wants to cheer. So, am I overreacting, or is this just growing pains for a newer gym/location?

Last edited:
I could possibly take her back to the old gym, but their prep is full season, so I don’t know if they would let her start this late.

Sorry you are in this situation. It would be worth a phone call to your former gym to find out what they have for options. It is very easy to get caught up in that "big name gym" who opens a location elsewhere. I have yet to see one operate the same way as their main gym.

Sorry you are in this situation. It would be worth a phone call to your former gym to find out what they have for options. It is very easy to get caught up in that "big name gym" who opens a location elsewhere. I have yet to see one operate the same way as their main gym.
I called the owner at the old gym last night. She is going back, and she starts practice tonight. I emailed the director and coach at the new gym, and their response wasn’t bad. Basically, just sorry you had problems and good luck.

It sounds like what you are getting is half-season prep and your friend's kiddo is on a full year prep team. They aren't the same thing, but we have been at a cheer gym that offered both options.

I think without knowing the extent of the issues you're having it's hard to say whether or not you're overreacting, but regardless, it's your money so if you're not happy you may want to consider other options.

Those two gyms are the only options in my location. My CP is a mini, and the red flags were more lack of organization than big problems. Since CP is still little, I probably shouldn’t worry about it too much.

Our prep team is half year so they don’t start practices until October either. Was the new gym a half prep team?

Back