Concerned Coach Vs Industry Etiquette

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Nov 15, 2010
This is a real world situation, but I will be vague in order to protect the parties involved

This problem from my point or view has a few levels so bare with me

'team spectacular' is now about to enter their 3rd season and currently has competed the last two season in a level which is IMO one too high for the skill level being thrown, I am basing this off that majority tumbling is the level below what is being competed, ie majority ro bhs, in a level 3 division, and maybe 15% - 20% at level. That was just an example. Also they are capable of dismounting stunts in the level competed, but all load in and transitions are one too two levels below.

This has for now just been an issue myself and staff have frowned upon, but said nothing and kept it too ourselves, even though we hear our same opinions muttered at competition by others.

'team spectacular' is now rumored to be moving UP yet another level. Again I confirmed this is rumor and my concern is pure hypothetical thus far.

Now to add the next level to this, and please keep in my the recent usasf kafuffle about appropriate skills and what not, the head coach and only coach to this team is ALSO a another event provider in my area. This person also runs credentialing, and is involved with IASF.

Where I am going with this is that many programs look up to this person and come to them for advice and I am becoming concerned that they will "monkey see monkey do" and push athletes to levels they are not only not going to be strong in, but struggle and risk injury.

Should this rumor become fact, I think I am going to have a hard time biting my tongue.

Looking for advice on what I as a completely independent person might be able to do

BlueCat

Andre

MissBee

kingston

ACEDAD

From your description, it sounds like the team is not pushing the kids to perform skills that they are not capable of - they're just not putting level-appropriate skills on the floor. They do the level-appropriate skills that they can perform safely (dismounts, 15-20% tumbling) and don't do the skills they can't (load-ins, transitions, full team tumbling). That doesn't hurt anything but their score. I'm not sure why this would concern you - it sounds like this team should be getting killed score-wise. It is a legitimate approach: if a coach (and, by extension, the team) is not concerned with winning, but have kids who want to learn certain skills that the coach feels comfortable teaching, then why not? I guess I might be misunderstanding the situation, but it seems like you and your program have chosen a different approach, one that will likely afford you better scores. I'd leave it.

My belief is that credentialing is worth as much as a bicycle is to a fish. Credentialing is a way to cover your butt and say: look! I am credentialed! if anything happens.

The correct way to fix all these problems is a proper scoring with heavy deductions for skills thrown incorrectly.

As the scoring is in flux there isnt much that can be done about that right now.. or for your situation. I would say the best possible thing is public awareness of said gym. Literally thats about all you can do.

Back