All-Star Concussion Protocol For Cheer/ Athlete Safety Committee

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Nov 10, 2014
Athletes in Allstar cheerleading experience all types of injuries. Concussions in athletes have become a serious discussion in the past couple of years. Many different sports organizations have developed Protcols to ensure the safety of their athletes. When will the cheerleading industry? Will USASF develop committee to develop a concussion protocol as well develop others guidelines to protect the athletes and their health?

Has anyone thought about this??

I think it isn't just whether USASF will develop concussion protocol... but rather, if they did, will gyms, and even more "Susie's Mom" follow the protocol? I could go on and on about this topic and what I have witnessed in this sport...but I shall just say that because you can't "see" a concussion...good luck enforcing anything with some over the top coaches and some of those bs crazy "look how tough she is" cheer moms.

Literally just hit publish on my new PT website/blog which is heavily focused on PT in cheer. There's not too much to the site yet, but my very first blog topic is on concussions. I think there is a lot that could be done, but I do agree with the above, it will be difficult to implement. While definitely not practical for many gyms, part of what I'm trying to do is get a PT (or an ATC) into gyms to really educate the coaches/parents/athletes on many different conditions/injuries and help them develop a protocol/program for the gym and athletes.

Literally just hit publish on my new PT website/blog which is heavily focused on PT in cheer. There's not too much to the site yet, but my very first blog topic is on concussions. I think there is a lot that could be done, but I do agree with the above, it will be difficult to implement. While definitely not practical for many gyms, part of what I'm trying to do is get a PT (or an ATC) into gyms to really educate the coaches/parents/athletes on many different conditions/injuries and help them develop a protocol/program for the gym and athletes.
Link please! I love this idea.

It's really sad to think that a parent would risk their child's future health for cheer.

I had a parent risk their child's health for a middle school field hockey game this past season. Protocol includes absences from school for us, so if you go home or don't come, you can't go to any after school activities. Well she tried showing up at a game just to watch since she knew she wasn't playing, after we knew she went home sick from the concussion. Shows up in sunglasses and ear plugs. I had to ask her and her mom to leave, they refused, eventually had to have the AT get on the phone with her to explain the consequences and what she's doing to her daughter by allowing her to be there, etc. still refused to leave. Finally had to have the AD pretty much forcibly remove her from school grounds. It was awful. Just so her daughter could watch this middle school field hockey game. Seriously? Your kid has at least 4 more years of games at the high school, missing one game won't kill ya, but hey let's damage the only brain you have! Great idea!!

Anyways. I would love to see concussion protocol at all gyms and competitions. Baseline testing too. Growing up I had 2 concussions from cheering, one in pop warner and one from all-star. This was a solid 15-20 years ago now but there was no protocol, no official check, and I was only officially diagnosed because my mom took me to the dr since she knew about concussion symptoms. She kept me out of activities, thankfully, but majority of parents and coaches, especially back then, didn't know the severity of concussions. I think it's so important now to do education for parents and athletes alike. We include concussion information in our preseason parent meetings for middle and high school sports, straight from the AT and AD so parents can't say "oh this coach hates my kid they're making them sit for a concussion" yada yada. It nips a lot of those issues. Obviously still some, but with more and more education and support from admin it's been a lot easier to deal with. I think if USASF or someone put through a concussion protocol mandate and educational program for all gyms that would be awesome. It's very needed in this sport.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If we even suspect a concussion, the kids sit out pending medical clearance. This means no spotting, no mocking, nothing until you're clear. And even then it's a slow reintegration. One of our program directors is an AT with experience with pro athletes. Concussions, and all injuries, are taken very seriously in our gym, even if the kids or parents don't like it.

If we even suspect a concussion, the kids sit out pending medical clearance. This means no spotting, no mocking, nothing until you're clear. And even then it's a slow reintegration. One of our program directors is an AT with experience with pro athletes. Concussions, and all injuries, are taken very seriously in our gym, even if the kids or parents don't like it.
Unfortunately in this competitive sport there are programs out there that are not as compelling. Hurt or not, you get out there and do your job or you'll be replaced. Parents are afraid of it too. It's awful to think but it happens.

I won't share details, but have watched more than one parent down play their child's concussion for fear of CP losing their spot. It is sad and hard to believe, but it definitely happens. When my CP had a concussion we followed Doctors orders, she sat out over 6 weeks, and missed comp. My CP kept saying she was okay and begging me to let her compete. I wouldn't risk it. Unfortunately, some do. :(

* Wanted to add the Coach and gym were very supportive. They found her a fill in. The Coach reassured CP when cleared by the Doctor she would have her spot back. He kept his word. *

So I do cheer in germany and all our coaches are volunteers who either also do cheer or have done gymnastics or cheer. I got a concussion and since one of my coaches is also a medical student she relized the symptoms and sent me to the hospital. She also refused to let me train or compete till I was cleared by a doctor and I am so thankful that I have a coach who puts our health before the sport.

Our gym is very cognizant of concussions and is proactive. Our coaches receive first aid training and are trained to err on the side of a possible concussion until medically cleared to return. We also have a clinic on site with a chiropractor, PT and message therapist and they also offer baseline concussion testing. They take every injury seriously. CP has filled in for other girls who have had concussions until they're medically cleared by their doctor. We don't play around with this. There's a concussion policy and protocol they follow and what an athlete can and cannot do and they follow it.

Even our schools are concussion aware and if a kid falls during school hours and bumps/hits their head a parent gets a proactive phone call and concussion paperwork comes home for the accident and we have to fill it out when they come back to school indicating wether we felt it was minor and didn't need medical attention because of no symptoms or we went to the doctor and are waiting clearance to return to school.

At least for the area I live in, all sports are aware of the severity of following proper concussion protocol. We have a few concussion clinics around here and I know quite a few kids who have used their services during the healing from their brain injury.

In my "super senior" season I had a nose break and a concussion. Which I didnt get those checked out because I didn't want to miss out on anything and I was so stubborn and STUPID .. I obviously shouldn't of done that..
I now wish that I did go get it checked out because now I suffer from nose problems and extreme headaches every single day as well as other symptoms of PCS (post concussion syndrome). I'm a coach and I take every injury that any of my athletes get seriously. ETA: I also somehow got really bad anxiety from my injuries.

Last edited:
My daughter's school teammate suffered a concussion in September 2015. At first they thought it was just a blow to her nose and were happy when they found out it was not fractured. They did not initially follow any concussion protocol because it was not diagnosed until a few weeks later. She wound up missing much of the year of school and having home instruction to allow her to complete her classes. Her course load needed to be modified because her ability to focus and learn had been severely compromised. She needed to retrain her brain how to focus on things. She was fortunately able to get credit for the year.

Fast forward to present day. She is still not back in school full time as she cannot tolerate a full day. She cannot deal with situations that involve a lot of noise and chaos, such as lunch and the hallways when classes change each period, and has developed extreme anxiety over the thought of dealing with chaotic situations.

I'm hoping all of this will continue to improve for her over time. It's devastating to know what such an injury can do, and sad that there are parents out there who make their child's spot on the team a priority over their child's lifelong well being.

Back