All-Star Concussion Protocol For Cheer/ Athlete Safety Committee

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I've had 7 concussions, almost all of them sport related
What sort of limitations are placed on you due to your history of concussions? To me, that raises a major red flag that you were still allowed to get numbers 5, 6, 7...I don't mean that in a shady way at all, just would hope with that history someone would be limiting and watching you closely.

Thank you to the op and other posters for sharing their stories...I really haven't given this too much thought beyond the normal safety precautions...

What sort of limitations are placed on you due to your history of concussions? To me, that raises a major red flag that you were still allowed to get numbers 5, 6, 7...I don't mean that in a shady way at all, just would hope with that history someone would be limiting and watching you closely.

Thank you to the op and other posters for sharing their stories...I really haven't given this too much thought beyond the normal safety precautions...
When I was in high school I would treat any bump or hit to the head as a possible concussion, just to be on the safe side. No one was really looking out for me per say, but my doctor made sure I knew what the signs were so that I could detect it. After the first one, and going to the doctors and getting tested and all that recovery time, I had a pretty good understanding of how to treat it, plenty of rest and zero brain stimulation were the best treatments, so I never went to the hospital/doctor after the 3rd one. But the first three, two were obtained in my highschool gym class, and the third from field hockey, they all effected my school, I wasn't supposed to be allowed in the cafeteria, gym or any other loud area, but most of my teachers didn't follow the protocols regarding how much work I could handle. Me going to school everyday was the main reason my first three lasted more than three months each. Concussions are not fun at all, and now I'm extremely careful when I get hit in the head. But more people should be careful before they get to where I'm at.

The reality is that it is very hard to be the parent of a kid who doesn't want to lose his/her spot and it stinks that gyms threaten the kids with this very outcome despite the fact that concussed child can't even attend school because of how badly their brain has been injured. Kudos to the gyms that take concussions seriously. Sadly I think they are a minority in the industry.

But let me back up... the reality is we parents have to sometimes step up and be the bad guy and that is so so hard when we've paid so much and we know we are going to break our child's heart by taking away his/her dream. And we can't expect that sending them off to practice to sit and watch (after getting them there by putting a blanket over their heads because bright light hurts) is a good thing either...because we know our kids are going to want to be "team players" and when a coach says "just do A but not B" they will do it (even though they aren't supposed to) And worst case scenario (which sadly I have seen/heard happen more than once)... you drop your kiddo off to watch and coach tells them "either you tumble today or you aren't going to worlds". And the child who hasn't been able to go to school for weeks, watch tv, look at a computer, or deal with bright light... goes and throws their pass.

The best thing that occurred after my daughter got a concussion was that her coach who competed on the international team got one shortly thereafter. He called us and said "wow! I get it! I get what you were saying". Maybe all parents and coaches need a good whack on the head (kidding, obviously) to understand and listen to doctor's orders.

The reality is that it is very hard to be the parent of a kid who doesn't want to lose his/her spot and it stinks that gyms threaten the kids with this very outcome despite the fact that concussed child can't even attend school because of how badly their brain has been injured. Kudos to the gyms that take concussions seriously. Sadly I think they are a minority in the industry.

But let me back up... the reality is we parents have to sometimes step up and be the bad guy and that is so so hard when we've paid so much and we know we are going to break our child's heart by taking away his/her dream. And we can't expect that sending them off to practice to sit and watch (after getting them there by putting a blanket over their heads because bright light hurts) is a good thing either...because we know our kids are going to want to be "team players" and when a coach says "just do A but not B" they will do it (even though they aren't supposed to) And worst case scenario (which sadly I have seen/heard happen more than once)... you drop your kiddo off to watch and coach tells them "either you tumble today or you aren't going to worlds". And the child who hasn't been able to go to school for weeks, watch tv, look at a computer, or deal with bright light... goes and throws their pass.

The best thing that occurred after my daughter got a concussion was that her coach who competed on the international team got one shortly thereafter. He called us and said "wow! I get it! I get what you were saying". Maybe all parents and coaches need a good whack on the head (kidding, obviously) to understand and listen to doctor's orders.

^^^YES!!!^^^ The USASF can make rules and have protocols in place, gyms can plaster posters on protocol, coaches can preach safety but, in the end, it's on us to make sure our kid's health is taken care of. I'm embarrassed to say, "Doctor, she has a comp in 10 days and you said two weeks, is she ok to compete yes or no?" has come out of my mouth more than a couple of times. I can't blame the USASF, gym, or coaches when I know better but, choose to question the doctor and healing time. And, let's be honest, we would annihilate a parent that knowingly put their kid in a car with a drunk driver but, essentially, we are exposing them to the same risk when we choose to drop our kids off at a gym where safety isn't a priority.

@CookieMomster

I could be wrong, but it sounds like you're gym follows similar protocol from my old gym - and you're Canadian, so I cannot help but wonder if they're one in the same ;)

When I was an athlete, I know there was no base-line testing done at our gym, but coaches ALWAYS took concussions seriously - and respected an athletes health. Coach would fill concussed athletes position until said athlete was cleared to return.
But now, when CFWP moved into their new facility (couple of years back) I know they got PT on site - and it has become standard protocol and I believe mandatory for level 5/6 teams to do baseline testing.

** disclaimer: I know none of the new protocol for fact - but going on word of mouth, and faint memory of conversations I've had with old teammates.

@Mom2Cheergirls Thanks for inspiring me to find out if we have any local centers who will do a test for CP now. The last time I inquired I was told come back when she was 10, but that was 2 years ago almost, so I'm going to call around next week to see what I find. I'd rather have one done sooner rather than later, tbh.

Nothing will change until the parents who pay for everything start demanding change. As long as there are parents who are eager to have their child take the spot on a world/summit team of a hurt child that is following doctor orders, this will continue. The only way it will stop is if those who are paying the fees collectively demand change. As long as Suzy's mom or dad allow this culture to continue and there is no method of reporting violations or true enforsement or penalties from the u$a$f/var$ity , all the protocols are just empty words and nice ideas.

Nothing will change until the parents who pay for everything start demanding change. As long as there are parents who are eager to have their child take the spot on a world/summit team of a hurt child that is following doctor orders, this will continue. The only way it will stop is if those who are paying the fees collectively demand change. As long as Suzy's mom or dad allow this culture to continue and there is no method of reporting violations or true enforsement or penalties from the u$a$f/var$ity , all the protocols are just empty words and nice ideas.
The problem is that there are many gyms at which being the parent that speaks out makes people resent you; god forbid you not want your kid to be covered in mesh and 5 lbs of stones if the other parents want it. Parents have to stand up, yes, but it has to be done in groups.

^^^YES!!!^^^ The USASF can make rules and have protocols in place, gyms can plaster posters on protocol, coaches can preach safety but, in the end, it's on us to make sure our kid's health is taken care of. I'm embarrassed to say, "Doctor, she has a comp in 10 days and you said two weeks, is she ok to compete yes or no?" has come out of my mouth more than a couple of times. I can't blame the USASF, gym, or coaches when I know better but, choose to question the doctor and healing time. And, let's be honest, we would annihilate a parent that knowingly put their kid in a car with a drunk driver but, essentially, we are exposing them to the same risk when we choose to drop our kids off at a gym where safety isn't a priority.

Good Points. The problem with cheer is that a concussed flyer or base can additionally injure a teammate if returned early to play, This is not a solo sport and on that issue alone, I am surprised that parents are not cohesive advocates.

@CookieMomster

I could be wrong, but it sounds like you're gym follows similar protocol from my old gym - and you're Canadian, so I cannot help but wonder if they're one in the same ;)

When I was an athlete, I know there was no base-line testing done at our gym, but coaches ALWAYS took concussions seriously - and respected an athletes health. Coach would fill concussed athletes position until said athlete was cleared to return.
But now, when CFWP moved into their new facility (couple of years back) I know they got PT on site - and it has become standard protocol and I believe mandatory for level 5/6 teams to do baseline testing.

** disclaimer: I know none of the new protocol for fact - but going on word of mouth, and faint memory of conversations I've had with old teammates.
I don't think we're the same gym but from your name I think I know what gym you were with. Hello to a fellow Canadian and GTA gym (our gym is a tad too west to be GTA persay but still gets lumped in with GTA when our friends from south of the border refer to us.) ;)

Good Points. The problem with cheer is that a concussed flyer or base can additionally injure a teammate if returned early to play, This is not a solo sport and on that issue alone, I am surprised that parents are not cohesive advocates.

Sadly, there are more parents who want their kids to get ahead at all costs that safety isn't a priority.

My parents really drilled the whole "don't let me or anyone else down", "commitment matters", "be mentally tough" mantra. I'd like to believe I've just passed on the healthy aspects of those lessons to my kids but, I think there's a fine line between being tough and keeping commitments before it becomes, mental and physical health comes after everyone else.

My parents really drilled the whole "don't let me or anyone else down", "commitment matters", "be mentally tough" mantra. I'd like to believe I've just passed on the healthy aspects of those lessons to my kids but, I think there's a fine line between being tough and keeping commitments before it becomes, mental and physical health comes after everyone else.
The intensely interdependent dynamic that exists on cheer teams makes this harder to deal with (it's one thing when you need a teammate there to pass a ball in order to complete a play, it's another when that teammate has to lift you in the air/be lifted by you).

The problem is that there are many gyms at which being the parent that speaks out makes people resent you; god forbid you not want your kid to be covered in mesh and 5 lbs of stones if the other parents want it. Parents have to stand up, yes, but it has to be done in groups.
Agree! If your the parent that speaks out "your the problem parent" or they tell you " if you don't like it then leave". No one is looking out for the athletes and their health. These gyms do what they please. I've seen MANY kids leave the sport entirely.

On another note gyms do get penalized by USASF if they violate rules etc. We just don't know how the process works.

Why does that have to be on the shoulders of the USASF? They can and should have their stance, "that all concussions should be taken seriously, etc" - but other than that, once again it is on the responsibility of the coach. The usasf could provide ways for coaches to get informed and certified, but the USASF is not at your practices, they aren't at your doctor appointments, etc. Adding more to the USASF will result in higher fees for membership and for competitions, and I know that isn't what a lot of people would prefer.

USASF wishes to be the governing body of the sport of cheerleading and that means this is 100% something they need to make some clear guidelines and stances. An easy example where they made a rule that people said no one could control "image rules" (which by the way I 100% back) and have seen a massive positive change at venues in how these children mainly look. They made clear and decisive rules. At first there was push back, and then not many people following them but now there is a big difference from what I saw in years past. All that just for appearance and it made an impact. Im not saying the set penalties for concussions but so far they have not done nearly enough. They have an obligation as the governing body to make some clear and definite guidelines about concussions and make them public on their web page and educate not just their gyms, but athletes and parents. If they can make such a difference on image just think how many kids they could help protect by having a clear statement and guidelines of what gyms should be doing in this area. I'm not saying they police it but they need to be much more vocal and proactive in this area as other similar sports have.

Back